Russian poisoning

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Sat, 31. Mar 18, 01:21

in my view thats all just a show, symbolic politics ...

that guy is a traitor, he`s been caught, commited treason to russia (his homeland). in the US, treason can be punished by death. i dont know how it is in russia, but there cant be a more severe punishment (except being tortured, then killed ^^ gitmo?! :roll::D). i think its just that a guy that has been caught commiting treason gets killed. he had a choice.

what i think is not thought thoroughly through, is that about 1billion people (US + EU + some island shepherds) have to sacrafice in trade/cooperation/diplomacy and so on, just because 1 *sshole gets killed ...

compare that to iran: women sometimes are being hanged to death (from a dredger, crane etc .. what comes in handy) if they commit adultery (or if they`ve been raped). no word about that, trading with saudi arabia is also "business as usual", trading with communists is also acceptable nowadays ... but if a foreign traitor is being killed by his homeland, thats a hole other question, an example has to be stated, just to make a point ...
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

Retiredman
x3ap

Post by Retiredman » Sat, 31. Mar 18, 01:54

The whole deal seems out of place..

He was an ex-KGB agent and why didn't they provide an accident while he was in prison. From December 2004 to July 2010 they had him locked up
to serve a 13 year term.
To use a nerve agent that blatantly points to a country makes no tactical sense when you want the evidence not to implicate your country.

Rican or similar substance could have been used.
A robbery gone bad could have been done.
Why would Putin hold a grudge for 14 years...
Has the Russian clock and dagger got that sloppy in these past twenty years?

Of course I havn't seen all the evidence or facts...
You think a hero is some weird sandwitch and not a guy attacking a Xeno J with a kestrel.

Sir.. I said .. A guy attacking a J with a kestrel is the sandwitch.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 31. Mar 18, 07:51

Retiredman wrote: To use a nerve agent that blatantly points to a country makes no tactical sense when you want the evidence not to implicate your country.
As has already been said in this thread, what makes you think Russia wanted to not be implicated? It's very much in their interests for people who might be considering betraying them to have second thoughts because "They can get me even if I'm living under the protection of another country".

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 1. Apr 18, 02:56

Retiredman wrote:The whole deal seems out of place..
I agree. I don't know what to think, but it's pretty serious.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 1. Apr 18, 03:57

Putin is trying to start another cold war, he is trying to take things back to when he was a member of the KGB. I have absolutely no idea why he is wanting to do this but that is what everything is pointing to. The poisoning itself is only a small part of the larger picture. A lot of what he has done and is doing doesn't seem to make sense but he is an intelligent man and I'm sure he has a plan and it seems to involve alienating everyone against Russia or maybe it isn't him and there really is a deep state pulling all of our strings.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Retiredman
x3ap

Post by Retiredman » Sun, 1. Apr 18, 07:25

pjknibbs wrote:
Retiredman wrote: To use a nerve agent that blatantly points to a country makes no tactical sense when you want the evidence not to implicate your country.
As has already been said in this thread, what makes you think Russia wanted to not be implicated? It's very much in their interests for people who might be considering betraying them to have second thoughts because "They can get me even if I'm living under the protection of another country".
But I also included..
From December 2004 to July 2010 they had him locked up
to serve a 13 year term.
He could have died while under their control and still put the message out.
Then there was that other Russian who they poison with a nuclear pellet.
That killed the guy...

That nerve agent was produced a few year after the USSR fell. Stopped around 1996. Could it be a third party was involved? Security wasn't as
firm during those years. Plus if they kept that stuff then they would be in violation of some UN treaties they agreed to..
Right now there isn't proof that the Russians did it. Otherwise all hell would break loose with the major players getting back into the
chemical WMD's. (See CWC efffective 1997 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... Convention

I don't trust Putin and wouldn't put it past him. But the way it was delivered was real sloppy. It leads to be really looked at.
And I do believe that the Brits are very good at producing results..
Expelling some Russians was a stopgap measure. Placate the population and send a message to Putin.. We're watching still..
You think a hero is some weird sandwitch and not a guy attacking a Xeno J with a kestrel.

Sir.. I said .. A guy attacking a J with a kestrel is the sandwitch.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 1. Apr 18, 08:35

Retiredman wrote: He could have died while under their control and still put the message out.
But it wouldn't have been anything like as powerful a message as "We'll get you wherever you run", which is the message they got. There might also have been an element of Putin testing the resolve of the West since they didn't seem inclined to do anything about Russia's blatant meddling in the American elections.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 1. Apr 18, 13:19

The guy had recently been asking if he could return to Russia he had even directly got in touch with Putin and asked him personally if he could return. You could say he put the cross-hair onto himself.

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Sun, 1. Apr 18, 13:23

pjknibbs wrote:... since they didn't seem inclined to do anything about Russia's blatant meddling in the American elections.
is there a law that says that this is probibited?
who`s enforcing that law?
is there a world police or such that i`m not aware of? :roll:

how exactly did they meddle in the election, by influencing public opinion? isnt that what all the news media in the world is doing all the time?
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 00:37

JSDD wrote:
pjknibbs wrote:... since they didn't seem inclined to do anything about Russia's blatant meddling in the American elections.

how exactly did they meddle in the election, by influencing public opinion? isnt that what all the news media in the world is doing all the time?
There are "generally accepted ways" to influence the opinion of another country's citizens when it comes down to a third-party country.

"Lying" is generally discouraged.
"Impersonating someone" is also, generally, discouraged.
There are a great many moral and ethical things that are "discouraged."

The problem is that there are few laws relating to "Social Media" and the general environment of "teh interwebz." So, enforcement of one's values is somewhat difficult.

But, it's not illegal for a country to state its opinion by deciding to enact legislation against another country's interests, is it? "War" is also "not illegal." But, few people like it and most would attempt to act against it.

In the US, at least, the "News Media" and its "freedom" is based upon it acting to inform the public, specifically about what it's elected government is doing. It's fiercely defended for that very purpose - It is supposed to help prevent unobserved tyranny and to inform the public when the government "does something wrong." Or, even, when it "does something right" that may have gone unnoticed.

When the "News Media" purposefully lies, then it weakens its own purpose and protections. Few legitimate news media organizations fail to recognize this and responsibly led organizations take positive action to avoid running afoul of this problem.

There are some, however, that cloak themselves in "honesty" but peddle lies while doing so... endangering the "Free Press" all the while, since they're not concerned with the same mandates that respectful organizations concern themselves with.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 00:43

JSDD wrote:
The law needs to catch up

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 00:48

fiksal wrote:
JSDD wrote:
The law needs to catch up
^---- This.

It is, for instance, a sort of "breach of the peace" for one country to "interfere" in the stable governance of another. It calls into question "sovereignty issues" that are, very seriously, possible acts of... war. If one seeks to usurp another country's sovereignty, one is de-facto making a declaration of war, even if one isn't pointing a gun at the other.

International law, on the other hand... Well, I'm not sure, there. But, its certainly ethical grounds for any sorts of non-military reprisals a country wishes to seek in the event that such underhanded efforts are detected and exposed. And, it could even be good cause for one country to declare open hostilities on another, depending how far that other country actually went and how successful they were at undermining that nation's sovereignty.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 06:49

Morkonan wrote: It is, for instance, a sort of "breach of the peace" for one country to "interfere" in the stable governance of another. It calls into question "sovereignty issues" that are, very seriously, possible acts of... war. If one seeks to usurp another country's sovereignty, one is de-facto making a declaration of war, even if one isn't pointing a gun at the other.
All things are true, it's very nearly an attack on another country.

I had a weird chat with some Russian guy, who told me, paraphrasing - "if Russia(aka Putin) was trying to save USA from an evil and corrupt politician/regime, shouldn't they have tried to help?"

if that's what they mean by helping, then yes, they should have not

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 16:52

fiksal wrote:...I had a weird chat with some Russian guy, who told me, paraphrasing - "if Russia(aka Putin) was trying to save USA from an evil and corrupt politician/regime, shouldn't they have tried to help?"

if that's what they mean by helping, then yes, they should have not
!!

That's... LOLZ!

"You are making a big mistake, so I will eat this cookie for you so you can't have it and you won't end up with diabeetus..."

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 19:31

JSDD wrote:in my view thats all just a show, symbolic politics ...

that guy is a traitor, he`s been caught, commited treason to russia (his homeland). in the US, treason can be punished by death. i dont know how it is in russia, but there cant be a more severe punishment (except being tortured, then killed ^^ gitmo?! :roll::D). i think its just that a guy that has been caught commiting treason gets killed. he had a choice.
1) If you're a tyrant, then yes, kill whomever you choose. If you're a democracy with an independent legal and judicial system, then you take the individual, provide the evidence, and convict them in a court of law according to the law of the country. If that's the death sentence, then that's your law.

He was convicted, he served his time for said crime. So this would be "extra" punishment.
what i think is not thought thoroughly through, is that about 1billion people (US + EU + some island shepherds) have to sacrafice in trade/cooperation/diplomacy and so on, just because 1 *sshole gets killed ...
Upon what basis is he considered an ahole? He made a judgement call which his country convicted him for making incorrectly according to their laws. He served his time. However, additionally, currently there's no trade sanctions. But at what point do you decide "enough is enough"?
compare that to iran: women sometimes are being hanged to death (from a dredger, crane etc .. what comes in handy) if they commit adultery (or if they`ve been raped). no word about that, trading with saudi arabia is also "business as usual", trading with communists is also acceptable nowadays ...
Those countries are allegedly trying people by their judicial systems according to the laws of their sovereign nation. They're also citizens of those countries, for which we have no jurisdiction or say over either. There are reports of executions (though there are so MANY in Iran and Saudi!), but yes, they're not front page news. Why? Because they're not necessarily unusual, or exceptional, do not involve our nationals and are for a country we have no say in the running of. Supposedly we "protest" their treatment and urge them to stop using the death penalty, as do many NGO's. They don't listen, as they believe it's their law and therefore it's all fine.
but if a foreign traitor is being killed by his homeland, thats a hole other question, an example has to be stated, just to make a point ...
State's can, by their own laws, try and execute within their own territory. Russia, however, has no legal jurisdiction to execute individuals within the UK. Whether a "traitor" or not... there is no legal jurisdiction.

Furthermore, the Russian constitution requires a trial by jury to assign the death penalty. One assumes this hasn't been done, as to do so would be a pretty large admission of suspicion!

Of course, no presumption it is Russia (yeah, right :D ) - but if there's smoke, and some orange glow - you'd be reasonable to assume fire until proven otherwise. So far the arguments against consist of "doesn't make sense" and what are commonly called conspiracy theories in order to prop up a Government and/or distract from current affairs. If that's the case, then this needs to happen once every 2 weeks - because that's about the duration of interest in the media over and above normal country matters. Russia is upping the ante by expelling yet more UK diplomats to "make it even in number" - safe knowing that if it can be proven it's going to take time.

Most interesting question for everyone is - if it is proven to be Russia, will you believe that or believe that's a cover? For those thinking it is Russia, if it were found not to be Russia, would you be able to "forget" this episode or is it forever going to colour your opinion of Russia/Putin etc.

Given the polar opinions I've read online surrounding this, I think people either believe or not - and it doesn't matter what is found out in the future... they'll always hold that opinion.

Do I believe it was Russia? Yes, because I believe there is good reason for his offing as I've mentioned previously. Will I change my opinion? If they find a guilty party, then yes. If it ends up like nearly all Russian related "mysteries", then no... Russia have become masters of the "deniable", insufficient evidence doesn't mean they're innocent. Just can't pin them as guilty.

In those circumstances it'll be very interesting to see what happens in the political arena. They appear incredibly convinced it is Russia, and that's many countries, not one.

JSDD wrote:

Yes, there are laws against electoral fraud, but I don't think that's what Russia was accused of with regards to the US - more in its own elections instead.

There are also laws against computer hacking and unauthorised access, which is what they argue was the Russian interference in the US (hacking of Hilary Clinton and other various individuals, before releasing information to the media).

It isn't necessarily whether the steps were illegal and punishable, it is the attempt by a state to influence the other's (supposed free/open) electoral system. Whether you'd think releasing "truthful" information (that proves damaging) is on the same level as fabricating it instead ("fake news") is up to you :P The media do roughly the same, but of course, providing evidence through the means used is likely to have a greater impact.

Care much? Not really, Governments interfering in others elections has been going on since the dawn of time. But the attributable audacity of doing so by one "major power" to another is very brazen.
Last edited by Chips on Wed, 4. Apr 18, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 21:46

JSDD wrote:
is there a law that says that this is probibited?...
U.S, election laws prohibit fraudulent activity. The Russians were proven to have committed such fraud by pretending to be US citizens while promoting the election of Trump and others through various electioneering activities. In order for foreign nationals to attempt to influence elections, they must declare themselves as such and be subject to various restrictions on their activities. By not doing so, they committed a number of felonies over the course of the elections. So, yes, there are laws that say it's prohibited.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Len5

Post by Len5 » Thu, 5. Apr 18, 00:12

So the elections were approaching, Putin let someone, he wanted dead anyway, kill with a nerve agent that clearly leads to Russia.
Putin knew the West would blame Russia and because he erased all traces he could deny it and play the victim.
"You see, the West blames us without any proof and someone wants to make it look like we did it, they're all against us. Vote for me. I'll make glorious nation of Russia."

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 5. Apr 18, 16:11

So Russian television Rossiya 1 which is owned by no other than the Russian government which really means Putin is the real owner. Anyway they said they had a recording of a phone conversation between Yulia Skripal and her cousin; The conversation goes:
Viktoria: Hello?
Alleged Yulia: Hello. Do you hear me?
Viktoria: Yes, I hear you.
Alleged Yulia: It is Yulia Skripal.
Viktoria: Oh, Yulka [diminutive of Yulia] it is you! I recognise from your voice that it is you but cannot understand. So, they gave you a telephone, didn't they?
Alleged Yulia: Yes, yes.
Viktoria: Thanks God! Yulyash [diminutive of Yulia], is everything okay with you?
Alleged Yulia: Everything is ok, everything is fine.
Viktoria: Look, if tomorrow I get a (British) visa, I will come to you on Monday.
Alleged Yulia: Vika, no-one will give you the visa.
Viktoria: Well I thought so too. Oh well.
Alleged Yulia: Most likely.
Viktoria: If they give it, I need you to tell me whether I can visit you or not, tell me that I can.
Alleged Yulia: I think no, there is such a situation now, we'll sort it out later.
Viktoria: I know it, I know it all.
Alleged Yulia: Later, we will get it sorted later, everything's fine, we'll see later.
Viktoria: Is it your phone?
Alleged Yulia: It is a temporary phone. Everything is fine, but we'll see how it goes, we'll decide later. You know what the situation is here. Everything is fine, everything is solvable, everyone (he and her father) is recovering and is alive.
Viktoria: Clear! Is everything ok with your father?
Alleged Yulia: Everything is ok. He is resting now, having a sleep. Everyone's health is fine, there are no irreparable things. I will be discharged soon. Everything is ok.
Viktoria: Kisses, my bunny.
Alleged Yulia: Bye.
I have a couple of things about the phone call. Have you ever phoned your cousin and had to use your surname to let them know who you are, I've never had to, I may go hey Richard it's John and he would know exactly who he was talking too. Then the conversation itself is so cardboard for someone who has just about died talking to a family member, who they must be pretty close to for them to phone them. There is no real concern at all, there is no real detail about how they are doing or feeling or even how her father is doing. they actually seem to be more concerned about how they got a hold of a phone than anything else. And it is so friggin short.

I suppose one of the main questions though is, how did they get a hold of a phone conversation in the first place, let alone one that had just been made just a couple of hours earlier.

To me it's as fake as they come.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 6. Apr 18, 07:01

Morkonan wrote: "You are making a big mistake, so I will eat this cookie for you so you can't have it and you won't end up with diabeetus..."
Going to steal that analogy now :)
felter wrote: To me it's as fake as they come.
If you have to give someone your last name, that person doesnt know you or your voice.

What's the point of recording anyway? Implicate the cousin?

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 00:43

felter wrote:So Russian television Rossiya 1 which is owned by no other than the Russian government which really means Putin is the real owner. Anyway they said they had a recording of a phone conversation between Yulia Skripal and her cousin; The conversation goes:...

I have a couple of things about the phone call. Have you ever phoned your cousin and had to use your surname to let them know who you are, I've never had to, I may go hey Richard it's John and he would know exactly who he was talking too.
For the record, I don't believe this is a true recording of such a conversation, just given the source.

However, there are things in spoken Russian that deviate from common English convention and I know one of them is how surnames, diminutives, as you point out, and other proper-name things are used. I can't remember if you're Russian or Eastern European or not. My sincere apologies for that, I should be more attentive to such things.

If you are fluent in conversational Russian, then I accept your analysis regarding their conversational use of surnames. If not, I would certainly like a fluent forum-member to comment on that conversation.
Then the conversation itself is so cardboard for someone who has just about died talking to a family member, who they must be pretty close to for them to phone them. There is no real concern at all, there is no real detail about how they are doing or feeling or even how her father is doing. they actually seem to be more concerned about how they got a hold of a phone than anything else. And it is so friggin short.
Yeah, it doesn't seem natural at all, regardless of any language differences. I can see how someone may be surprised that, given the sensitive nature of the political situation, that a key civilian "player" would be "allowed" to make an "unrestricted call." That is something I could imagine someone else might question. ie: If it was a friend or relative of mine, I might say "I'm surprised they're not asking or requiring restricting your communications right now, at least a little bit, given how tense things may be. Have they said anything to you about that?"

In fact, I'd be surprised if she hasn't been advised to lay low right now and stay out of the public eye. Then again, the last I heard of her condition, she wasn't in any condition to talk to anyone. That's another reason why I don't really think this is legit. And, if she'd call her cousin after all this, surrounded by all this, I agree it'd be assumed they were close enough that she wouldn't announce herself.
I suppose one of the main questions though is, how did they get a hold of a phone conversation in the first place, let alone one that had just been made just a couple of hours earlier.

To me it's as fake as they come.
It's an expression of power and authority - "We know all and see all, thus we are in control of the situation and you should be confident about us being in control of this situation."

No government, even in a "free society," will willingly express its lack of control over a situation. In fact, they'll often claim a measure of control or knowledge just to calm and reassure the public, even if they don't really have any clue what's going on. :)

"WTF just happened?"

"I dunno, but we had better tell everyone we're already working on a solution!"

"We have top people working on the situation, right now. Rest assured, we know about what is going on and are working on the issue right now."

Said everyone, anywhere, at any time there was any doubt about the legitimacy of their oversight or control over... anything.

I bet everyone's ISP or even common utility provider has made a similar statement whenever something "goes wrong." OR... they deny anything is wrong at all. :)

Return to “Off Topic English”