How long is the minimum time..

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

greypanther
x3ap

How long is the minimum time..

Post by greypanther » Wed, 14. Mar 18, 21:29

For products to last do you think?

I have a mouse for my PC which I only bought last June 2017, it is starting to fail and only works properly some of the time. It is sending false messages to the PC which stops the PC staying in sleep mode, when I want it and the wheel only works about half the time.

It is not an expensive mouse, £12.69, a Microsoft comfort 4500, bought from Amazon, who are now saying I should contact Microsoft for support. This does not appeal really. :roll:

I was just going to buy another of the same, but did not realise it was less than a year old. It replaced another of the same model, which lasted years.

It is quite annoying just how short a time things last now a days, when I am certain that things can be made to a much higher standard, with little effort.

I know I am a cheapskate and I only got what I paid for, but still less than a year? :evil:

Am I being unreasonable to expect more than a year of operation, from even a cheap product?

I actually like using the mouse, which is why I replaced like with like, last year. Now I am left wondering if getting the same or similar again is an awful idea or not.

Which mouse would people advise me to get, that will last a reasonable time? Doesn't need to be fancy, just similar to Comfort 4500; just more reliable!
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 14. Mar 18, 21:51

They look like a cheaper mouse. 3.5 stars out of 5 in reviews isn't great. I usually look for 4+ stars. Newegg is 3/5 stars with fewer reviews = no buy.

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Comfor ... mfort+4500

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductL ... isNodeId=1

Basically look for stuff that has 4+ stars and read the recent reviews to see if there's been a decline. Also look for stuff that's mainstream and has many reviews. A mouse should last years.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 14. Mar 18, 21:57

As I recall, the first one I got had a higher review rating and it did last years, which is why I bought the same model again. I like using it. That said I have little faith in Amazon reviews anymore, they are not safe.

Even a cheap one should last longer than nine months, shouldn't it? The cheap, Blackpool FC themed one I have down stairs, is about ten years old and still going strong. It just lacks the wheel and buttons...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 14. Mar 18, 22:10

If the actual design hasn't changed over the years then maybe the quality of the production facility/staff, quality control checking or supplier/standard of materials has reduced to save production costs and maintain profits. Some manufacturers have indeed been known to sell well entirely based on past glories rather than on current quality of production.

Of course it also depends a lot on how and how much you (and others including children and pets) use and abuse the item. :wink:

To answer the thread title question, how long depends on how long it takes for you to be unable to demonstrate that the item was not of merchantable quality at the time of supply, or that it became unfit for purpose following entirely reasonable and intended usage within the manufacturers' warranty period.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Wed, 14. Mar 18, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 14. Mar 18, 22:14

Alan Phipps wrote:Of course it also depends a lot on how and how much you (and others including children and pets) use and abuse the item. :wink:
It gets used a lot, but still it should least longer than nine months, shouldn't it? I had considered that it could be the lowering of quality, but hoped all would be fine. I guess I need to find a bomb proof one, but which one? If this had been a dearer mouse, I would have been very angry, but in fact I am just a little annoyed.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 14. Mar 18, 22:20

How many buttons ? 5 (2 side 3 top?)

Basically your mouse is similar to my mouse btw.

Some 3 button mice

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007CLWN5A/re ... 61580&sr=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L62T7W/re ... 61580&sr=2
Last edited by burger1 on Wed, 14. Mar 18, 22:24, edited 2 times in total.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 14. Mar 18, 22:20

This is why I don't buy cheap mice or keyboards. You're going to be spending a lot of time interfacing with your computer via those things, so I'd rather spend a bit more and get something comfortable that's going to last a while.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Wed, 14. Mar 18, 22:22

My Logitech MX518 is ten years old this year. One of my friends has one of a similar vintage and says his scroll wheel is on the blink, and now I'm paranoid that mine is starting to misbehave very slightly. I dunno what I'm going to replace it with if it does pack it in though...
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 14. Mar 18, 22:23

I guess two side; two top and the wheel, maybe more, I do not know really. :oops:

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 14. Mar 18, 22:26

This might work but it's kind of different. Only 4 stars of amazon and newegg.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Corded- ... 3ALogitech

Recent reviews have tanked so it's a no go. Ignore it.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Wed, 14. Mar 18, 22:50

According to the Microsoft website https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/e ... stCarousel that mouse comes with a 3 year limited warranty, so it could be worth getting in touch.

And I agree with you that any hardware, regardless of the price should last at least a year.

felter
xr

Re: How long is the minimum time..

Post by felter » Wed, 14. Mar 18, 22:59

greypanther wrote:For products to last do you think?

I have a mouse for my PC which I only bought last June 2017, it is starting to fail and only works properly some of the time. It is sending false messages to the PC which stops the PC staying in sleep mode, when I want it and the wheel only works about half the time.

It is not an expensive mouse, £12.69, a Microsoft comfort 4500, bought from Amazon, who are now saying I should contact Microsoft for support. This does not appeal really. :roll:

I was just going to buy another of the same, but did not realise it was less than a year old. It replaced another of the same model, which lasted years.

It is quite annoying just how short a time things last now a days, when I am certain that things can be made to a much higher standard, with little effort.

I know I am a cheapskate and I only got what I paid for, but still less than a year? :evil:

Am I being unreasonable to expect more than a year of operation, from even a cheap product?

I actually like using the mouse, which is why I replaced like with like, last year. Now I am left wondering if getting the same or similar again is an awful idea or not.

Which mouse would people advise me to get, that will last a reasonable time? Doesn't need to be fancy, just similar to Comfort 4500; just more reliable!
Get in touch with Amazon again use their online chat, before you do it have a look at this. it explains your rights better than I ever could.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 14. Mar 18, 23:11

Thanks guys, all useful, just not sure I want to go down the Microsoft support route, ( not started yet, ) past experience has shown me that lacks much point, especially for a £12.69 mouse.
red assassin wrote:My Logitech MX518 is ten years old this year.
Amazon are claiming that this, is the updated version of that mouse. The one you have is still for sale on Amazon, but for £145, which is way out of my price range. :roll:

ATTACK_HAMSTER
x3tc

Post by ATTACK_HAMSTER » Wed, 14. Mar 18, 23:41

red assassin wrote:My Logitech MX518 is ten years old this year.
pffft, my Microsoft Intelimouse is going to celebrate its 20th anniversary this year! :o

I'm tempted to retire it in working order on its birthday and put it in a small display case, the missus thinks im mental - best 100 quid i ever spent!
You ain't getting me on no M3 Fool !

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Wed, 14. Mar 18, 23:49

greypanther wrote:Amazon are claiming that this, is the updated version of that mouse. The one you have is still for sale on Amazon, but for £145, which is way out of my price range. :roll:
My girlfriend has a G502, which she's very fond of (which seems to be very similar in shape to the 402, just with a few extra features). Logitech are a good brand, too, and I haven't heard that the G402 and so on are any less reliable than the MX518.

They'll never replace it in my heart, though.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 15. Mar 18, 08:52

red assassin wrote: They'll never replace it in my heart, though.
Well, you could always get the £145 one on Amazon that greypanther points out! Have to assume those are very popular mice indeed if they can sell them for that sort of money--they'd only have been about £40-50 back in the day, wouldn't they?

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 15. Mar 18, 08:52

Bought a nice Logitech MX Performance mouse... Great dpi, adjustable, all the config stuff I could want, good battery life (rechargeable on the fly), accessories, etc..

Logitech used the cheapest buttons they could get their fingers on and the left-click button went haywire after a year. It's basically unusable unless I take it apart and do some bendy things with it or get a electronics shop to crack it open and replace it.

Bought a $12 crap-mouse, once again from Logitech since that was the cheapest I could get, and it's been going strong for several years.

IMO, a decent mouse should perform well for three years with normal use. But, all the components are based on usage-life, so it can vary. Number of clicks, operating hours, etc... it all adds up.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 15. Mar 18, 11:39

I have a Razer Mamba and I bloody love the thing, but it's at least 8 years old and frankly is starting to show its age and develop intermittent issues, I've already replaced the cable and the battery. At the time I bought it it was something of a treat being bloody expensive at over £100.

I keep thinking of getting a new one but the latest model is:
a) still bloody expensive, despite presenting no real improvements in technology over my decade old model.
b) A slightly different shape / design, which I'm worried I won't like as much.

In the spirit of the thread what do we think? £80-100 for something proven to last nearly 10 years. I should probably stump up shouldn't I.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Thu, 15. Mar 18, 12:15

You see that £80 - £100, would be too much for me. I am still trying to justify buying the Logitech 402 at £37!

I guess it is a case of spending more in the hope it will last longer, or buying the cheapest that is fit for purpose, with the expectation of replacing it very regularly.

Samuel Vimes comes to mind and his buying of his boots... :roll:

It is just not very green and sustainable is it, to use so much material for no good reason. From the worlds perspective, proper quality should be available and easily bought. I guess it is just a case of how far you want to take it?

But even a cheap mouse lasting only nine months, is just not on!

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 15. Mar 18, 12:38

A bit off Amazon passing the buck to Microsoft. As the retailer, Amazon is responsible. They do seem a little reluctant to refund for faulty goods, however, when pressed they do. I had a pair TP link powerline adapters and one failed. Initially they wanted me send both back for a full refund, I said one still worked and it would be inconvenient to return. I was put on hold and then a few minutes later I was offered a full refund and could keep the one that was working ( it also has failed now though).

Amazon should stump up the refund for a product that was not fit for purpose and it has nothing to do with Microsoft - that's Amazon's problem.
A flower?

Return to “Off Topic English”