not YouTube

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

felter
xr

not YouTube

Post by felter » Fri, 16. Mar 18, 18:44

Have any of you noticed that a site calling itself RUclip keeps popping up, it's a video site that looks just like YouTube but it's not YouTube and has nothing to do with YouTube even though it has YouTube videos.

I've been checking it out and it more than smells a little bit fishy. It is a Russian YouTube copy site that is using YouTube videos, if you copy the video URL it leads back to YouTube, even the comments are being taken directly from YouTube though they appear in a different order. The thing that really gets me is the login, they are using google login details and with all of the Russian meddling that is going on right now, I suspect people are logging onto this site and giving them their username and password for google. I would be very careful and wary about using the site.

By the way if you have any videos on YouTube, they will also be on this site.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: not YouTube

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 16. Mar 18, 19:29

Sites like that are all over the place. They make various claims like allowing users to view region-locked content and the like. They range from "shady" to downright obtrusive.
felter wrote:... they are using google login details...
Explain what you mean by "google login details."

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 16. Mar 18, 19:44

When you use the login option on Ruclip, it uses the same login that you would use to login to YouTube. In other word you click on the login option and it asks you for your Gmail address and password that you use to login to your Gmail account or what you use to login to YouTube, and seeing as they are not part of YouTube or google that is suspicious

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 16. Mar 18, 19:55

felter wrote:When you use the login option on Ruclip, it uses the same login that you would use to login to YouTube. In other word you click on the login option and it asks you for your Gmail address and password that you use to login to your Gmail account or what you use to login to YouTube, and seeing as they are not part of YouTube or google that is suspicious
Suspicious? LOL, yes it is. :)

I seriously hope you didn't try to "login" there.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Fri, 16. Mar 18, 21:19

felter wrote:When you use the login option on Ruclip, it uses the same login that you would use to login to YouTube. In other word you click on the login option and it asks you for your Gmail address and password that you use to login to your Gmail account or what you use to login to YouTube, and seeing as they are not part of YouTube or google that is suspicious
Cool they now have your Gmail login.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 16. Mar 18, 21:36

LOL come on guys give me some credit, I may say some crazy and daft things at times but I'm not stupid, besides I did study computer security and forensics at University after all, so I should know better that I'm not going to just give away my Gmail just like that. I'm also way too paranoid to do that anyway.

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sat, 17. Mar 18, 00:10

I haven't noticed it. I'll have a look. Oh, hang on..

Thanks for the heads-up :)

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sat, 17. Mar 18, 09:09

So who wants to volunteer to register a burner Gmail account, enable two factor authentication, log in here, and wait for attempted login notifications?
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 17. Mar 18, 19:30

I don't feel like attaching any real information to a burner account. (Two factor auth/smartphone) I don't think a secondary email auth can be set up to be used the same way, or I'd do it.

Isn't there an online smartphone emulator text message thingie, somewhere? I know there used to be one for faxes, years ago. (Too many people had "fun" with it, I think, but a commercial version came out that fixed that a bit.)

Some infos on RuTube... "Seems legit, it's on teh Wikis.."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutube

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gazprom_Media

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konstantin_Chuychenko

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:KGB_officers

"Konstantin Chuychenko"

Yeah... No, I don't think I want to play with RuTube. :) My morning coffee might end up with too much polonium in it one day...

PS: Russian officials are like a dark version of "Six Degrees From Kevin Bacon." But, instead of how many of them have been in a movie with Kevin Bacon, it's how many of them can trace a path to the KGB... Who'da thunk it? /notsurprised

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 18. Mar 18, 14:47

If you have "avast" installed it will stop your from even opening the rutube website.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 18. Mar 18, 15:21

clakclak wrote:If you have "avast" installed it will stop your from even opening the rutube website.
I'm sure it's on a bunch of block-lists. Google won't block it because it's backed by a huge Russian media company. But, I'm sure it has been reported often enough by users of third-party software to get a spot on their block/warning lists.

<-- Won't even visit the site, 'cause... why?

Google is pursuing other youtube interests, like trying to sue the pants off of several "youtube downloader" sites or sites that allow users to do that with youtube vids. Why? Of course, because they can't sell advertising if you've got the video, yourself...

RuTube probably plays nice with Youtube/Google, offering some sort of commercial access/advertising support for Youtube to broaden their base even further, despite Youtube having purely "Russian" filters and Eastern European filter/location settings and the like.

Ya know... I'm getting a bit tired of the sort of "Wild West" commercial strategies where "anything goes, even if they find out about it" as well as hackers/malware almost being the "Order of the Day" online. And, if one tries to really protect themselves from this crap and their privacy from commercial exploitation? Well, they get flagged for running stuff governments don't like or they end up hamstringing themselves "in real life" because the "only way to do" something they need to do is to download some jerk-company's app that practically force-chokes itself on a friggin @$%@ trying to snatch one's personal data so it can repeatedly rape it...

Yeah, probably a bit too much for me to handle this morning. :)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 19. Mar 18, 21:57

Separate post, probably to be followed up in a thread, but idea originating, here:

In the US and in some other countries, one's "medical records" are considered practically "sacrosanct."

You could get just about any information you wanted about someone, but come even close to touching anything to do with their "medical records" and half-a-dozen agencies and a room-full of attorneys would get called into action.

But, one's private, yet casual, use of "teh interwebz" may be much more personal to people than their medical records.

The only reason those records aren't equally protected is because people can make more money with that private information than they can with someone's personal medical records.

/ponder

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 19. Mar 18, 22:51

That's not the reason. Spouting personal opinion doesn't make it fact.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 21. Mar 18, 00:22

Chips wrote:That's not the reason. Spouting personal opinion doesn't make it fact.
And, your contrasting opinion is?

Return to “Off Topic English”