I dont think i have time to watch the last stream, so what is new info we got on X4?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 19. Mar 18, 16:37

I have mixed feelings about no collision dammage - I can't belive this, but in X-Rebirth I frequently managed to hit the stations in such way that I got inside station model - I couldn't get mysefl free, nor die out of collision damage.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Mon, 19. Mar 18, 19:28

mr.WHO wrote:I have mixed feelings about no collision dammage - I can't belive this, but in X-Rebirth I frequently managed to hit the stations in such way that I got inside station model - I couldn't get mysefl free, nor die out of collision damage.
But we have cockpits and walkable stations now, so i hope you enjoy your immersion while watching consequence free AI bumper car circus while casually beeing trapped inside a station model :)

Terrible collision avoidance (as seen in Rebirth) and lack of collision damage are even worse immersion breakers than funky NPC glitches - because you spend most of your time in space.
If they can't solve this but at the same time encourage you to "come closer", by drawing action much closer to stations and big ships like they did in rebirth via game mechanics, then this will be very bad cocktail to swallow.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Mon, 19. Mar 18, 19:36

most of the time in XR if you got stuck in a station it IS possible to get yourself out, you just had to scream and cry and sell your soul to the Demon Murphy.

If collision damage was on you woulda just blown up instead. Certainly that happened in X3 to me a few times.

XR collision avoidance wasactually pretty damn good considering the geometric complexity. And the AI could stay on you even in sometimes complicated scenarios. Unfortunately, when one of them did get stuck, it was REALLY obvious and jarring.
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Tue, 20. Mar 18, 03:34

mr.WHO wrote:I have mixed feelings about no collision dammage - I can't belive this, but in X-Rebirth I frequently managed to hit the stations in such way that I got inside station model - I couldn't get mysefl free, nor die out of collision damage.
i think i got self destructed when i went to crew quarters while getting stuck within station walls(after half an hour trying to get out). I blame the coolant mission lol.

DavidGW
x4

Post by DavidGW » Tue, 20. Mar 18, 05:46

More collision damage would be good, but not if we're going to go back to X3, where every time you go through a trans-orbital accelerator, you're gambling that there's not a cap ship coming the other way.

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Tue, 20. Mar 18, 14:52

Keep them disabled, it's a game not a stressful job

ezra-r
x4

Re: I dont think i have time to watch the last stream, so what is new info we got on X4?

Post by ezra-r » Wed, 21. Mar 18, 19:27

Killjaeden wrote:
CommanderTM wrote:Did not see any official new info thread.
Its "just" stickied, but apparently any thread that is stickied turns immediately invisible to people...
And also misplaced because probably it was better posted in the X Universe rather than in X4: Foundations since it is not related to it in any way.

Moderators shame on you! :x3:

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 21. Mar 18, 23:34

@ ezra-r: Did you read the dev's opening post of that stickied thread? I think if you do you will see why it is where it is and how it was related to X4. :wink:

(Also it is a brave, or stupid, moderator who moves a dev's thread!) :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Thu, 22. Mar 18, 00:04

Alan Phipps wrote:@ ezra-r: Did you read the dev's opening post of that stickied thread? I think if you do you will see why it is where it is and how it was related to X4. :wink:

(Also it is a brave, or stupid, moderator who moves a dev's thread!) :D
Yes yes, I'm mostly clownish and joking :D

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Thu, 22. Mar 18, 16:06

DavidGW wrote:More collision damage would be good, but not if we're going to go back to X3, where every time you go through a trans-orbital accelerator, you're gambling that there's not a cap ship coming the other way.
You never figured out the gates? The ships always go into the bottom half, and come out the top half. If you orient your ship to the ecliptic plane of the sector, and enter the gates near the bottom, the only collisions should be if/when two large capital ships pass through simultaneously, and one of them is ignoring the flashing lights (moving in a particular direction) giving the incoming ship the right of way.

The Terran trans-orbital accelerators don't have the direction lights, but they also don't have Paranid ship designs with projections protruding half-way down into the outbound traffic lane. Any incidents while #deca is moving through a gate and hogging 90% of the space are the rare exceptions.

Collision damage should exist in the game, but should probably be survivable, because it's a stupid way to end a "dead is dead" playthrough if/when some AI ship crashes into you for no good reason.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 22. Mar 18, 18:52

I think a nifty way to solve the collision dilemna, at least as far as dying goes, is to implement an automatic and instant eject feature when the ship suffers enough collision damage to destroy it. You lose the ship but it's not a game ending death. Think of it as the airbags of space travel. :mrgreen:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Thu, 22. Mar 18, 20:50

Honved wrote:Collision damage should exist in the game, but should probably be survivable, because it's a stupid way to end a "dead is dead" playthrough if/when some AI ship crashes into you for no good reason.
The problem, however, is tracking the situation and deciding whether this was an accident or intended behaviour. Making your ship a bouncy ball once your hull is down to a few percentage does not seem like the best idea to me.
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

Ironbuket
x4

Post by Ironbuket » Fri, 23. Mar 18, 11:46

When you get stuck inside ships and stations, you can get unstuck by setting a destination in the map and engaging the autopilot. It usually gets unstuck quite quickly. If you have the jump drive you could use that also

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Fri, 23. Mar 18, 16:53

Karvat wrote:Keep them disabled, it's a game not a stressful job
Bravo!!!! I concur!!!!

Return to “X4: Foundations”