Save Game System

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BigVern
x3tc

Save Game System

Post by BigVern » Thu, 22. Mar 18, 16:09

Sorry if this has been posted before but I think the majority of players would prefer to keep the quicksave from Rebirth or at worst the *affordable* insurance from Terran Conflict.

Please, please, pretty please - no Rebuy!
Three Time Beagle Point Veteran

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Thu, 22. Mar 18, 17:18

I can only speak for the current implementation:
Same system as in XR. Quicksave and quickload are available at almost any time, everywhere.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 22. Mar 18, 17:25

Should be like the old days where u can only save if you buy insurance felt more difficult for some reason then. Now playerss can just quicksave before engaging a ship or attempt boarding a cap ship and reload and try again if they fail.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Thu, 22. Mar 18, 17:31

Being able to save and reload at any time is logically the right choice

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 22. Mar 18, 17:43

Karvat wrote:Being able to save and reload at any time is logically the right choice
Well if you didnt use "logical" I would concede your statement to be true under the opinion act. But since you did, I must point out that its factually wrong. There is no "logic" to save games, any design choice will be as logical as the next one, all it will come down to how you explain its implementation.

Personally I dont mind either way, its a game and if people want to "cheat" the game with saving prior to board, its their choice, those that want a challenge can just refrain from doing so.

MFG

Ketraar

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Thu, 22. Mar 18, 17:46

I'm also in favour of the current system. While I liked the explanation that is given for the Salvage Insurance in previous games, I feel it's an unnecessary hurdle which mainly targets new players, who have enough to learn already. Also it's one of those basic game features that can be accepted easily without breaking immersion.
Skeeter wrote:Now playerss can just quicksave before engaging a ship or attempt boarding a cap ship and reload and try again if they fail.
At the time when you can actively start boarding other ships, you have enough money to buy salvage insurances, too.
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

BigVern
x3tc

Post by BigVern » Thu, 22. Mar 18, 18:46

Glad to hear not going down the route of ED's rebuy, then.

Even keeping enough money to cover the cost only takes a few ship losses before you can't afford it and doesn't (IMHO) encourage bold or experimental gameplay. There's also the loss of gameplay or achievements (e.g. exploration data not cashed in) which could lose weeks of progress.

F5 etc. quicksave is best and does come with its own risks anyway in that you could get stuck in a death loop if you save at a wrong time and then you revert to the last "hard" (i.e. docked) save.

Three cheers to egosoft then for their sensible, practical approach.
Three Time Beagle Point Veteran

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Thu, 22. Mar 18, 19:45

Ketraar wrote:
Karvat wrote:Being able to save and reload at any time is logically the right choice
Well if you didnt use "logical" I would concede your statement to be true under the opinion act. But since you did, I must point out that its factually wrong. There is no "logic" to save games, any design choice will be as logical as the next one, all it will come down to how you explain its implementation.

Personally I dont mind either way, its a game and if people want to "cheat" the game with saving prior to board, its their choice, those that want a challenge can just refrain from doing so.

MFG

Ketraar
I think it's logically right in this case because if a player wants to play for a limited amount of time, he can save and exit the game at any time, without necessarily having to reach a station. On the other hand, a player who thinks it is too easy to save just before entering the battle can avoid saving even if the option to do so is available and satisfies all those who wish to do so.

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Thu, 22. Mar 18, 20:52

Skeeter wrote:Should be like the old days where u can only save if you buy insurance felt more difficult for some reason then. Now playerss can just quicksave before engaging a ship or attempt boarding a cap ship and reload and try again if they fail.
Just think about it.
When do you need game saves the most? At the beginning where you are weak and have to spend you money wiseley.
And the least? When you never need to bother about that laughable insurance costs and sitting inside your god like Springblossom or Odysseus.

The old system was badly realized. It punishes at the beginning and was not existent later on.
Besides... X is a single player game. Let everyone play and save like he want to :wink:

Edit: Well even if saving is optional I understand that sometimes you are not disciplined and break you own rules (I do).

@Egososft
What about an option for game start that sets your save options for the entire session?
e.g. "Save only on Stations"
Ich bin für die Einführung von Ironie- und Sarkasmustags.
Alle Klarheiten beseitigt!

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Thu, 22. Mar 18, 21:05

LittleBird wrote:
Skeeter wrote:Should be like the old days where u can only save if you buy insurance felt more difficult for some reason then. Now playerss can just quicksave before engaging a ship or attempt boarding a cap ship and reload and try again if they fail.
Just think about it.
When do you need game saves the most? At the beginning where you are weak and have to spend you money wiseley.
And the least? When you never need to bother about that laughable insurance costs and sitting inside your god like Springblossom or Odysseus.
you are omitting something here: you could save on Stations any time for free, often used in mentoined start situation where Docking should never be a problem. And you could buy the option to Save anywhere for pretty cheap...

Opinion on this Topic not included in this Post
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sun, 25. Mar 18, 17:32

Would like there to be an explicit 'save only at stations' option. Find I enjoy combat much more if there's a risk of losing a significant amount of progress if I mess things up. Don't mind if there's quicksaves, periodic autosaves, etc in the game for those who like such options, but would like to be able to turn them off & only save when my ship is docked.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sun, 25. Mar 18, 19:00

I like the "save & exit" function some games have. It temp-saves the current state, exits the game and after reload deletes the savegame again.
Everyone is happy.

And the "insurance" option would be very valid in this scenario.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Len5

Post by Len5 » Mon, 26. Mar 18, 00:56

Great thing is that you don't have to (quick)save if you don't want to. No one will be forced to do it.
For some people it's great to be able to save at anytime, in case they have to leave suddenly. And some people like to save often so they won't lose progress when the game crashes or the pc freezes.
Sometimes I change my mind about how I've set up things and I like to go back to an earlier save. Or I like to experiment with things or do some weird stuff without consequences for my game.
Tamina wrote:I like the "save & exit" function some games have. It temp-saves the current state, exits the game and after reload deletes the savegame again.
That's ok for a straight forward shooter, not for something like te X games.

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Mon, 26. Mar 18, 12:16

As a person with a sometimes unpredictable home life, I am very glad to hear we will be keeping the ability to save at any point.

I also believe that any game coming out in 2018 and onward WITHOUT the ability to save at any point, would feel archaic and limiting.

When it comes to points about "realism", there are just some things you have to suspend your disbelief for when playing a video game, saving is one of the necessary evils where "realism" shouldn't be strictly applied.
Admiral of the Fleet.

ero_sk
x4

Post by ero_sk » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 14:34

It's terrible when people mix "logic" into their personal preferences, whether it's about the games, politics, music- you name it.

2 + 2 = 4 is logical
Save system X vs Save system Y is not

Remember this.

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 14:43

In this case, however, being able to save and reload at any time, it satisfies both types of players...

ero_sk
x4

Post by ero_sk » Wed, 28. Mar 18, 18:55

It still doesn't have anything to do with logic.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Wed, 28. Mar 18, 23:39

I want to option to play an 'ironman' mode or something. I want to be forced to accept defeat or loss of assets (I said option, I am not asking to remove save load for those that want it).
Do not tell me the old 'if you dont like it dont use it' arguement, because that is a terrible arguement. If that was the case no developer would have ever made an ironman mode, becuase people can just choose to not reload? All games would have 'press X for godmode' because... just dont use it?

Options please.

EDIT: Oh, there it is...
Karvat wrote:In this case, however, being able to save and reload at any time, it satisfies both types of players...
No, it does not. I am one of those players and im saying that it doesnt.

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Thu, 29. Mar 18, 04:14

I think the savegame options or any other ironman hurdles could follow based on difficulty settings imo. *looks at subnautica's creative mode where you don't die :D

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Thu, 29. Mar 18, 11:52

Len5 wrote:
Tamina wrote:I like the "save & exit" function some games have. It temp-saves the current state, exits the game and after reload deletes the savegame again.
That's ok for a straight forward shooter, not for something like te X games.
Please tell me, how so?
It makes perfect sense, it doesn't give you the option to cheat, yet allows you to pause and continue the game whenever you want.

Another alternative would be a hard-difficulty option that deletes all your savegames not made with an insurance when you die. :P
Axeface wrote:If that was the case no developer would have ever made an ironman mode, becuase people can just choose to not reload? All games would have 'press X for godmode' because... just dont use it?
Good argument. We would all press X and it would be terrible.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Return to “X4: Foundations”