New Screenshots: The Teladi Osprey

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bernd
Site Admin
Site Admin
x4

New Screenshots: The Teladi Osprey

Post by Bernd » Mon, 23. Jul 18, 23:24

Hi there,

I just posted the first set of pictures to showcase one of our M ships:
on our facebook page

In the next few days we will show more features of this same ship.

Stay tuned!

EDIT by Linolafett:
The images are now avaliable on imgur. For those who dislike Facebook ;)

Osprey -click me-
Osprey Cockpit -click me-
Osprey Docking -click me-
Osprey Docked at station -click me-

Jase555
x4

Post by Jase555 » Mon, 23. Jul 18, 23:42

Cool, thanks

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Mon, 23. Jul 18, 23:43

Hold on a tick... "Use Spacesuit"?!

The Osprey looks great, and I'm going to love having mini-carriers like that.
Last edited by MegaJohnny on Mon, 23. Jul 18, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Mon, 23. Jul 18, 23:49

Sexy!

Also, I spy with my little eyes: Use spacesuit. Spacewalks are coming back? :D

I do have a question regarding the description of this picture, though:
https://www.facebook.com/EgosoftGmbH/ph ... =3&theater
And the question is, are we going to get full corridor system inside the ships that lead us to the bridges, or is it simply going to be a door on the dock, that teleports us onto the bridge/cockpit, as mentioned above?

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 01:36

Well they have modeled spacesuits as i saw in past videos on x4 so if they made em why not use em for going out of ship. Might not be super mega confirmed like but nice to see more evidence that it looks like we can do that once again.

Now about the ship, which im not a fan of it being on facebook im trying to ban myself from using that companys software.

1. Looks ok the ship if a little underpowered for a frigate and them turrets look stuck on instead of part of the deigns so thats another nod to my fear ships wont look as nice (design wise) due to the way uve done modules for things like weapons, theres always gona be a squarish block under the weapon on a flat squarish area on the hull.

2. Can you call it something else as the ospray was a really fun and cool m6 from x2 and this isnt like it. If you call it the ospray im going to be dissapointed if i ever fly that frigate as it wont be like x2's ship. That can quickly change if the name is different then i wont compare and like it for what it is. Shame as when this topic said ospray i was excited to hear m6 ships will be back and hopefully look and perform similar to x2 with maybe higher poly and textures. Then gutted it was for a different ship with the ospray name. Imo only.

3. I noticed u said u had to go down the ramp and into the transporter room to go to the ospray cockpit, what happened to seemlessly going from one part of the ship to the other? I fear a bit of backlash over this as in the presentation u upped about seamless transition with no loading by going through ships especially when docked so one would assume u can do that on that ospray go from the small ship dock on ospray leave small ship go on ospray and go into it with no loading and go to cockpit after a few rooms and fly it with no load screens.

If you maybe called that travel bit the lift system and thats just for travelling about on the one ship then it might have worked and kept it seperate from the transporter.

4. Mesh looks ok and most of the design but i cant say i approve of the textures, i mean them green bits look just green with blackish streaks which makes it look like a really stretched texture maybe, same for some of the grey with dark streaks. Why not make some hull panels there easy to make and super effective for space ships, think of babylon 5 panelling. Not seeing alot of detail in textures apart from lines and coloured sections with stuff blended on to make it not just a colour. Expected a bit better for the bigger ships compared to the smaller ones which also kinda look very basic to look at.texture wise.

Just my 2p worth of critism.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 02:57

I notice the Osprey is a "frigate" by X4's terms.
The dock can store away ships to the inside of a ship.
The Osprey of course can only fit very few ships inside, but larger ships can host quite some numbers.
So ships like the Osprey can dock more than one S ship? I like the sound of that.

Is there an animated process for ships tranfereing between internal storage and external landing pads? Or do they just pop in and out instantaneously?
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Mycu
x4

Post by Mycu » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 05:37

Great, this ship looks really nice.
Keep it up a good work Ego.
X3 AP 3.1 + XRM
X3 AP 3.1 + LU

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 06:51

Shove Facebook where the sun don't shine...will have to wait to see what's planned.....

Zetoss
x4

Post by Zetoss » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 08:12

I'm one of millions of people who hate Facebook but use it anyway because that's where a bunch of stuff can be found, maybe we can all just agree that the site is horrible but we use it anyway so we don't need to repeat how bad it is all day long?

I'm loving the sceenshots, not a fan of the Osprey itself by a long shot but I love that it has a strong "personality" and am totally looking forward to see them swish around in game, next to my much better looking ship because what's the point in having the prettiest ship if there are no "unpretty" ones, right? ;) Great to see the size comparison too, it's really hard to get a decent idea of how big things are just by looking at them one by one so that was quite helpful and satisfying!

Also trying not to suffer massive organ failure due to a mix of impatience and anticipation, death by hype would make a funny tombstone though.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 08:25

You walk down the ramp to an airlock, then through another door into the cockpit. That's pretty seamless.

I love the fact that I am now going to have a proper sense of scale. I can now walk around on the landing pad and see the size of a Kestrel, from a 1st person perspective.

I also like the fact that form follows function. I'm assuming that the M ship turrets can now be targeted separately. I also like that each turret has a different look to it based on the weapon deployed.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 11:41

repatomonor wrote:[...]are we going to get full corridor system inside the ships that lead us to the bridges, or is it simply going to be a door on the dock, that teleports us onto the bridge/cockpit, as mentioned above?
This was answered in the German forum by Bernd, roughly translated:
Bernd wrote:How big walkable areas are, is different from ship to ship. But yes, on every ship there are those teleporter rooms connecting different important areas. On real L and XL ships this can be multiple docks and the bridge.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Varyah
x4

Post by Varyah » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 15:03

Tamina wrote:
repatomonor wrote:[...]are we going to get full corridor system inside the ships that lead us to the bridges, or is it simply going to be a door on the dock, that teleports us onto the bridge/cockpit, as mentioned above?
This was answered in the German forum by Bernd, roughly translated:
Bernd wrote:How big walkable areas are, is different from ship to ship. But yes, on every ship there are those teleporter rooms connecting different important areas. On real L and XL ships this can be multiple docks and the bridge.
What I would like to know in this context is whether this always requires clicking through a context menu which is the only option of course for teleporting to other ships but seems a bit excessive for moving to a different area of the ship you're already on? I think multiple teleporter rooms (or call them turbo lifts...) with signs overhead saying DOCK1, DOCK2, BRIDGE, etc. where you just step in and and reappear in the respective destination or any other method (e.g. simple interactive buttons on the wall that select internal destinations in one click) that doesn't require going through menus to move around internally on a ship could be a better solution.

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 15:27

I like the Osprey's overall shape. I was worried a bit that M ships were going to all look like the construction vehicles from XR! That said, I do worry a bit about the "flat top" design that seems to be needed for the M ships.

I wonder if all docks have to be oriented the same as the ship (or the bridge). I can see why when switching to first person and having "gravity" this might be the case. Still it would be cool if there were ships with docks/landing pads on the bottom, sides, at various angles, etc.

Code: Select all

\./ <- land here
/.\ <- or here
 ^
 |
or here

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 17:12

They added some more pics. I see stuff about a biome in the info panel? I wonder if biomes are how they control the density of ships/stations.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 17:16

Many thanks for the eye candy!
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 18:39

MegaJohnny wrote:They added some more pics. I see stuff about a biome in the info panel? I wonder if biomes are how they control the density of ships/stations.
Could be just a zone name inside a system, like the many point of interests X Rebirth had.

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 19:43

@Bernd
Will be able to change color scheme and side number of our ships?
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 20:41

Love the design, but probably as aways Osprey will be slow as hell.

Spacesuit - nice!
Bigger interiors on big ships - double nice! Finally having Carrier or Destroyer would give you the "Imperial Star Destroyer" feel.

Kittens David

Post by Kittens David » Wed, 25. Jul 18, 09:08

Sorkvild wrote:@Bernd
That feature would be really cool ! that we can change paint scheme of ships to reflect they are our ships. and this is quite a light feature, quite easy to develop and add.

Sao t'Lp
x4

Post by Sao t'Lp » Wed, 25. Jul 18, 09:24

Kittens David wrote:
Sorkvild wrote:@Bernd
That feature would be really cool ! that we can change paint scheme of ships to reflect they are our ships. and this is quite a light feature, quite easy to develop and add.
I think they said in a livestream that the number on the side of the ship is dynamic and corresponds to the ships number/identifier. And I think color schemes are not going to happen but I'm not sure where I read that :gruebel:

@Photos
In the photo where you can see the full cockpit of the osprey there are more consoles behind the pilot seat. I wonder if this is the space for the crew?
You want Split? :split:

Return to “X4: Foundations”