Ball tampering

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

eladan
x4

Ball tampering

Post by eladan » Sun, 25. Mar 18, 03:49

I am beyond angry at the moment. Australia has a rich and proud history in cricket, and this just throws mud on the entire lot. The entire leadership team made the decision? The entire leadership team must have the collective IQ of a paperclip. If I had my way, they would be banned for life, but I doubt Cricket Australia has the intestinal fortitude to go that far.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-25/s ... ng/9584476

I also cannot believe Smith saying he's not resigning, and he still thinks he's the right person to lead Australia! What the hell?!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 25. Mar 18, 04:52

Ah that kind of ball.

I don't really know much about cricket, all I remember about it in school was that damn ball tampering my balls, damn it hurt so bad. Anyway isn't this something that happens all the time.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 25. Mar 18, 08:04

Wow. I recall when England got flak for ball tampering they were just rubbing dirt into the surface, not actually attaching sticky tape! :o

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sun, 25. Mar 18, 08:54

Yep. We cheated. Don't know how we can fix this one.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sun, 25. Mar 18, 08:57

On reflection, the guys have been punished enough. They are not going to live this down, no one is ever going to trust them again. I would hate to be in their shoes.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 25. Mar 18, 09:24

Not Australian sport's proudest moment :(. I guess the inevitable question is "how many other times...."?
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sun, 25. Mar 18, 10:52

<goes off in search of an Australian cricket stump and a box of matches>

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sun, 25. Mar 18, 12:07

For me, this is on a par with spot-fixing or drug taking in cricket (or other sports) - the ban should be multi-year. The MCC has just agreed rules that players can be 'sent-off' by the umpires, though that's both too late for the current series and, IIRC, only applicable alt lower levels of the game unless agreed by the nations as part of their playing conditions.

Smith and Warner (captain and vice-captain) have now 'agreed to stand down' for the remainder of the current match, which is highly embarrassing. I can't think of another time when a captain has been replaced mid-game other than due to injury. It's still not enough though; personal embarrassment isn't sufficient punishment for trying to cheat when playing sport at the highest level.

For those already familiar with the recent history of Australian cricket, I think this is a good read. I highlight, as summing up pretty much how I see this:
Daniel Brettig wrote:Seldom has "within the spirit of the game" looked more like "whatever we can get away with".
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

vr01
x4

Post by vr01 » Sun, 25. Mar 18, 13:11

Honestly can't believe this has happened and it has turned me off from watching. Not sure how it has come to this and how they could think they could do it and get away with it.

Ultimately it would appear that the current best 5 players in the team are going to be penalised severely and should be. Finally could be the shot Cricket Australia and the Australian team needs to fix the culture problem that has really been laid bare in this tour. Might also jolt the ICC into action too. Everybody likes to point the finger at us (and we mostly deserve it) but the fact is that other teams are getting just as bad (except maybe the Kiwi's).

The only good example Smith set is that he owned up to it and didn't shirk his involvement in it. That is something some other people and teams could take note of. Having said that he should have at the very least stood himself down to face the music or resigned on the spot as he has tarnished the integrity of what's commonly called the second most important job in Australia. Not anymore...

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sun, 25. Mar 18, 15:29

Not sure how clean we really have been in the past. Does everyone remember Shane Warnes "pitch report" to the Indian bookmakers?

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Mon, 26. Mar 18, 08:53

Okay, okay. It's bad, yes. It's cheating, yes.

It's hardly the worst thing Australia has done in its history, though. I mean, Cricket is a GAME. A game I enjoy, to be sure, but it's really not that important.

If we cheated at Cricket and did well by the refugees entering the country, I'd be happy.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

vr01
x4

Post by vr01 » Mon, 26. Mar 18, 11:27

This article provides a good insight into the reaction in Australia and what sport means to (most) Australians...

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... smith-team

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 26. Mar 18, 11:59

Usenko wrote: If we cheated at Cricket and did well by the refugees entering the country, I'd be happy.
...are you sure you're really Australian? :P

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Mon, 26. Mar 18, 15:07

Goes without saying that I'd prefer we didn't cheat AND we did well by the refugees, naturally. ;)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Mon, 26. Mar 18, 15:15

Usenko wrote:Goes without saying that I'd prefer we didn't cheat AND we did well by the refugees, naturally. ;)
But nobody is taken this with reference to Australia. Just Australian sport - refugees have nothing to do with the subject.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Mon, 26. Mar 18, 17:36

Antilogic wrote:
Usenko wrote:Goes without saying that I'd prefer we didn't cheat AND we did well by the refugees, naturally. ;)
But nobody is taken this with reference to Australia. Just Australian sport - refugees have nothing to do with the subject.
i think he meant that there are worse things happening in australia to worry about than cheating in sport.. not that there is a direct connection between both..

PS what if Refugees were cheating in Cricket? :P
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Mon, 26. Mar 18, 23:20

Man puts tape on ball.

Bit of a non story given everything else going on in the world...

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Mon, 26. Mar 18, 23:47

UniTrader wrote: PS what if Refugees were cheating in Cricket? :P
Somehow with Australia and its rather embarrassing treatment of its refugees, I cannot imagine them being allowed to play cricket...

Tycow is right though, this really is a non story, all things considered...
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 00:53

Tycow wrote:Man puts tape on ball.

I think it's an important one.

What does it take for a person to willingly cheat? What sort of person will deny other individuals a fair chance? What sort of people will, without reservation, support such an individual when they are caught cheating?

To me, the idea of "cheating" another person out of the possibility of a fair contest is personally reprehensible. I don't think I could do it. The thought of going through all the motions necessary in order to "cheat", to purposefully harm another team or person, for my own selfish gains.. It's cringe-worthy, made even more so by the fact that a "win" in a sporting match isn't saving lives or battling for some higher cause. It's just a game!

But, the actions of people in "just a game" and the reactions of witnesses to such things are very important.

They say something about the firmness of our moral ground. It's not about a "game." It's about what people value as being "right" and "just."

So, here it is, something undeniably "wrong" and "unjust" taking place in the public eye. What will that public decide they think about "wrong" and "unjust" things? If they say "it's just a game" and do nothing, then what does that say about those people and what they believe?

We had the same thing happen in American Football. We have, in the past, had similar things happen in other sports, too. Some of these things get brushed under the carpet, so to speak, and nothing gets done... That makes me worry a bit about what we value and how determined we are to see it realized.

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 01:20

Morkonan wrote:
Tycow wrote:Man puts tape on ball.

I think it's an important one.

What does it take for a person to willingly cheat? What sort of person will deny other individuals a fair chance? What sort of people will, without reservation, support such an individual when they are caught cheating?

To me, the idea of "cheating" another person out of the possibility of a fair contest is personally reprehensible. I don't think I could do it. The thought of going through all the motions necessary in order to "cheat", to purposefully harm another team or person, for my own selfish gains.. It's cringe-worthy, made even more so by the fact that a "win" in a sporting match isn't saving lives or battling for some higher cause. It's just a game!

But, the actions of people in "just a game" and the reactions of witnesses to such things are very important.

They say something about the firmness of our moral ground. It's not about a "game." It's about what people value as being "right" and "just."

So, here it is, something undeniably "wrong" and "unjust" taking place in the public eye. What will that public decide they think about "wrong" and "unjust" things? If they say "it's just a game" and do nothing, then what does that say about those people and what they believe?

We had the same thing happen in American Football. We have, in the past, had similar things happen in other sports, too. Some of these things get brushed under the carpet, so to speak, and nothing gets done... That makes me worry a bit about what we value and how determined we are to see it realized.
Oh, don't get me wrong... I agree with you. Cheating on this level is abhorrent, especially when a lot of young people probably idolise these guys, further proving people are rubbish.

My gripe with the whole thing is that in the UK (and I'm guessing Australia) this was/is getting a lot of front page news coverage when other stories were being ignored. :\

Return to “Off Topic English”