Damage visualization?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

R_Romach_R
x4

Damage visualization?

Post by R_Romach_R » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 20:37

I'm curios, if it possible to add some form of damage visualization? Like in eve online (sheild flashes and hull melting) or maybe something like in world of tanks (some breakdown of armor/hull).

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 21:03

In XR there are some kind of damage visu... Only on containers and weapons that kind of stuff...

Maybe there will be some more in X4, hope so...
Miniding
X3 Reunion - X3 Terran Conflict - X3 Albion Prelude - X Rebirth - X4 CE...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 21:32

From the X4 devs' Q&A Sticky:

Q. Will ships have some damage model? I mean visible hull or other parts damage?
A. You can certainly damage certain elements of some ships. The other day I was wondering why I couldn't shoot, until I looked out of the window and saw that my guns were a glowing mass off charred metal!

Q. Will ships show hull damage on their exterior (not talking about damaged modules but burn marks on hull or missing parts).
A. Not that I know of.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 00:04

I liked the damage u could do to cap ships, can't recall if u could do same on small ships as they died too quickly. Most of the damage was just subsystems been destroyed tho they did have nice smoke and fire effects too on hulls. I didn't like how they could repair them tho from being that much destroyed tho they should only do that in a dry dock.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 14:47

I guess it's too complex but it be nice if there was even something more basic like slight hull breaches you can see (aka particles just leaking out of a ship) To show their more severely damaged.

Fleabum
x4

Post by Fleabum » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 15:15

Kane Hart wrote:I guess it's too complex but it be nice if there was even something more basic like slight hull breaches you can see (aka particles just leaking out of a ship) To show their more severely damaged.
From a programming point of view, it actually isn't that hard, you just sprout a particle effect with a debris map for the particles. Attach this to the mounting point of the damaged item and viola, debris springing from a damaged component.

It would be a little more complex to make it randomly appear from the hull, and amount based on a total damage percentage, but its still feasible.

As per the OP, I would love to see some sort of visual shield implementation. Maybe an elliptical invisible shield round ships that changes to a visible shield when hit, colour the shield hit depending upon the type of weapon its hit by, and the transparency based upon the remaining shield strength.

Something along the classic ST elliptical of :-

or something more object specific :-

Regards
Flea

R_Romach_R
x4

Post by R_Romach_R » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 16:12

Yea, something like that...

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 23:50

Those effects already exist in XR for surface elements.

I'd like to see them applied to all portions of capital ships and to small ships, as well. Even if it isn't locational (i.e. the energy field flashes across the entire ship instead of the point of impact), it would be nice to get some visual feedback that your weapons are striking your target's shields rather than their hull.

A small explosion or "pop" when their shields are depleted would be another useful and satisfying cue to implement.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Thu, 5. Apr 18, 02:10

There were some ships in xr with advanced damage models- the Arawn had destroyable pontoons, and the containers on the canteran freighters were individually destroyable. Rarely you could also blow up an entire section of a Sahanas or maybe Sul. And of course the stations were destroyable on a section-by-section basis. So the engine supports this sort of thing. There's probably a performance hit though and its more work for the artists.
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Thu, 5. Apr 18, 10:26

R_Romach_R wrote:Yea, something like that...
XR pretty much already has it and i'm sure it'll be nicely carried over.
Rarely you could also blow up an entire section of a Sahanas or maybe Sul
Lazy Sul also had destroyable pontoons on its underbelly. :D

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 5. Apr 18, 18:26

Fleabum wrote:As per the OP, I would love to see some sort of visual shield implementation. Maybe an elliptical invisible shield round ships that changes to a visible shield when hit, colour the shield hit depending upon the type of weapon its hit by, and the transparency based upon the remaining shield strength.

Flea
I remember Nexus TJI had some pretty nifty shields effect, both when they were powering up or down and taking damage.
https://nomoregoatsoup.files.wordpress. ... exus_3.jpg
I'd would be neat if ES could do something similar.

And just as food for thought, I'd really like to see something analogous to the good old "fortress shields" around some stations...
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article ... 246964.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RfbV07CR2rc/maxresdefault.jpg
Those were looking totally insane, and were an awesome element for tactical gameplay.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Arkangel1981

Post by Arkangel1981 » Fri, 6. Apr 18, 01:07

nexus jupiter incident (fortress shield)

https://youtu.be/X-cEGZCwn3o?t=595

The BEST SHIELD!!!!!!
Put this in game please

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Fri, 6. Apr 18, 18:50

Fleabum wrote:
Kane Hart wrote:

Something along the classic ST elliptical of :-

or something more object specific :-

Regards
Flea
It's already Something like that but only when you hit Capships where there is a local forcefield generator in XR...
But no global same thing on the Big field generator...
should be cool!
Miniding
X3 Reunion - X3 Terran Conflict - X3 Albion Prelude - X Rebirth - X4 CE...

Return to “X4: Foundations”