Trust, and faith in the developer.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Wed, 11. Apr 18, 10:17

Axeface wrote:
ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:Yeah, and then there is a whole bunch of other people who are genuinely happy that it is going to be more like Rebirth than X3.
I think you could probably count those people on one hand.
X-Rebirth is not nearly that popular as X3:TC etc. are. That is unquestionable.
But I think this is not the point.

I hate a lot what X-Rebirth has to offer but Egosoft did some major changes with it. I am talking about the new size of sectors and stations. About the reworked economy and trading system. About the stunning and interesting look of the sectors.
Honestly I expect more X-Rebirth than X3. The good stuff of X-Rebirth of course. And there is some.
Ich bin für die Einführung von Ironie- und Sarkasmustags.
Alle Klarheiten beseitigt!

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Wed, 11. Apr 18, 11:28

@Fleabum
I have never stated that X3 is an unpopular game. I have played various versions of it for 1000's of hours. I no longer play X3 or X Rebirth. However there is much in Rebirth that I regard as major improvements over X3.

From what I have seen of X4, Egosoft are continuing in their fine tradition of building on the best of their previous games.

I personally want Egosoft to continue to innovate and produce high quality space based games.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Wed, 11. Apr 18, 11:54

I really disliked the larger areas and would prefer the smaller x2 ones back with gates. Rebirth navigation and big areas are just a mistake I feel as yes there big but there empty too so what's the point. Imo that was the biggest mistake they did with rebirth.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Wed, 11. Apr 18, 12:07

I think this thread (along with the hundreds of others that have devolved into "X3 vs XR" battles) quite adequately proves that if there is ONE thing Egosoft include, it absolutely MUST be modding lol

I have to say that I don't really understand why some people seem to literally just want a remastered version of X3. That is a different release guys, this is going to be X4. It will contain elements from X3 and Rebirth as well as totally NEW stuff, it will be modern looking and modern feeling so that it stands up with today's games in 2018 and doesn't feel like a 10 year old game as soon as it's released.

A game franchise cannot survive if it doesn't evolve as time goes by. If you are so adamant that X3 is the best in the franchise, then keep playing X3. But there are plenty of us who can't go back and play those things with awful UIs, keyboard-driven menus, bad looking graphics, dumb AI... and all the other faults (some of which have been improved in Rebirth, despite all the naysaying) and would rather a NEW game in the series tackles some of the issues and at least tries to introduce new and exciting and modern ideas and gameplay.

I'm with the OP that I have faith that Egosoft will deliver a fantastic game as they always strive to do, and fully support it in the years to come. I also strongly support Egosoft's track record regarding ZERO micro-transactions, and reasonably priced DLC which adds lots of new content. :) From the videos I've seen so far from Ego, I'm excited for sure! The ship docking looks fantastic, the strategic UI looks fantastic, station building looks fantastic. Definitely a lot of steps in the right direction, in my view.
Admiral of the Fleet.

Spero
x3

Post by Spero » Wed, 11. Apr 18, 13:44

Vandragorax wrote:I have to say that I don't really understand why some people seem to literally just want a remastered version of X3.
Nobody "literally wants a remastered X3". They just don't want a U-turn on the mechanics that made the X series a solid franchise, which is what XR was.

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Wed, 11. Apr 18, 15:14

Skeeter wrote:I really disliked the larger areas and would prefer the smaller x2 ones back with gates. Rebirth navigation and big areas are just a mistake I feel as yes there big but there empty too so what's the point. Imo that was the biggest mistake they did with rebirth.
I prefere the X2 sektors over them in X3. They felt more... organic. After X2 the gates were mostly on the same positions.
But sectors are small in both games. And a space game with small sectors is wrong in so many points.
You have an area of roughly 150*150km often thousand of miles away from any planet with 4 gates leading to other parts of the galaxy!
It is hilarious. The old X-universe is just a network of small areas. It is unlogical and unbelievable. We know the reason for this are engine limitations.

Increasing in size was one of the best parts of X-Rebirth.

To compensate the emptiness you mentioned you got fast travel options. It is like flying in X3 with your Teladi Harpy in terran systems instead with a TS.
Also inreasing in size allows for more variety in sector design. Look at X2/X3 sectors. They are all nearly the same. Now you have sectors with many different objects. Not just stations but also nebulas and asteroid belts. In X2/3 the entire sector is the nebula or the asteroid belt.

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Thu, 12. Apr 18, 03:51

LittleBird wrote:
Skeeter wrote:I really disliked the larger areas and would prefer the smaller x2 ones back with gates. Rebirth navigation and big areas are just a mistake I feel as yes there big but there empty too so what's the point. Imo that was the biggest mistake they did with rebirth.
I prefere the X2 sektors over them in X3. They felt more... organic. After X2 the gates were mostly on the same positions.
But sectors are small in both games. And a space game with small sectors is wrong in so many points.
You have an area of roughly 150*150km often thousand of miles away from any planet with 4 gates leading to other parts of the galaxy!
It is hilarious. The old X-universe is just a network of small areas. It is unlogical and unbelievable. We know the reason for this are engine limitations.

To compensate the emptiness you mentioned you got fast travel options. It is like flying in X3 with your Teladi Harpy in terran systems instead with a TS.
Also inreasing in size allows for more variety in sector design. Look at X2/X3 sectors. They are all nearly the same. Now you have sectors with many different objects. Not just stations but also nebulas and asteroid belts. In X2/3 the entire sector is the nebula or the asteroid belt.
That's probably because the engine performance couldn't do real time nebulas without significant performance issue like X2 or XR. Have you seen how it stutters when you are close to it in X2 or XR? Auspicious excavation is still stuttering my pc framerate if the hud is pointing on it at that DV gate. I don't know how they are gonna improve the layering since the second iteration is similar in nature.

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Thu, 12. Apr 18, 14:58

LittleBird wrote:

Very good points about galaxy size improvements with XR :)
Admiral of the Fleet.

Dreez
x4

Post by Dreez » Thu, 12. Apr 18, 16:53

I'm looking forward to X4. But after Rebirth, i'll wait for the reviews.

This trustbank only lends out trust once.
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Gnorog
x4

Post by Gnorog » Thu, 12. Apr 18, 22:18

Spero wrote: Nobody "literally wants a remastered X3". They just don't want a U-turn on the mechanics that made the X series a solid franchise, which is what XR was.
A "remastered X3" would be an instant buy on my part. After XR I'm very cautious about any "innovation" on the part of Egosoft.

ArgoChris
xr

Post by ArgoChris » Fri, 13. Apr 18, 02:13

I think something to remember with all this is that Egosoft originally developed the X-Universe in its totality, I believe that they know how to balance game mechanics and refine abstract systems into engaging and somewhat-easy to read systems.

The main issue they faced with X3 was engine and performance limitations, these have subsided in significant ways. Not to mention multi-threading for task processing. I think we will see a MASSIVE shift in terms of control and engagement, ships will be smarter, both tactically and in navigation. I'm excited to see where the improvements come into play. Especially with the scale they showed just in Tech demos.

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Fri, 13. Apr 18, 17:32

I think the main points are:

1 - While XR brought some definite improvements in some aspects, it strayed away from the formula that made the earlier games popular, and severely compromised the unparalelled freedom that most players were willing to suffer through their many flaws and tediums for.

2 - While XR had its share of problems, the earlier series had worked itself into a corner from an engine standpoint, and was in drastic need of a redesign and complete overhaul of several fundamental game mechanics.

3 - X4 needs to re-incorporate the things about X2/X3 that worked into the new engine, and seriously rethink (or drop) a few things which caused problems in XR. It also needs a decent tutorial or well-explained documentation to get the new player up and running quickly.

4 - The "highways" were an answer to a problem, and not a good one, but removing the highways still leaves us with the problem: crossing those gigantic sectors takes a LOT of time.

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Tue, 17. Apr 18, 09:08

I'd agree that XR wasn't all bad. Many of the systems did not work properly and where cumbersome. However it was a step up in my opinion.

From what I read about X4 up to now they'll fix much of that.

Everyone complains about the highways. I don't really see the problem with them. There would've been better ways to solve it but it works. I think XR has far worse issues which should be addressed first! Namely a lack of overview, control and decent automation.
Save game editor XR and CAT/DAT Extractor
Keep in mind that it's still a work in progress although it's taking shape nicely.

If anyone is interested in a new save game editor for X4 and would like to contribute to the creation of one let me know. I do not have sufficient time to create it alone, but if there are enough people who want it and want to contribute we might be able to set something up.

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Tue, 17. Apr 18, 14:56

nemesis1982 wrote:Everyone complains about the highways. I don't really see the problem with them.
Yeah, I don't get everyone hating on the highways. Nobody had any problem with the transorbital accelerators in X3, which are pretty much the same things as the super-highways in XR. I wonder if there were only super-highways if folks would still complain (my guess is probably).

Actually now that I think of of it, the same people don't like the idea of walking between ships. I LOVE the idea of a seamless transition between ship -> station -> other ship -> space -> new sector. Maybe some folks just really love loading screens?

ArgoChris
xr

Post by ArgoChris » Tue, 17. Apr 18, 23:03

Actually now that I think of of it, the same people don't like the idea of walking between ships. I LOVE the idea of a seamless transition between ship -> station -> other ship -> space -> new sector. Maybe some folks just really love loading screens?
Totally, I think it has something to do with a fear of these new features detracting from the ones we love (as if they couldn't co-exist). I understand the issue they are facing though, how do we traverse these accurately huge sectors? I'm not sure myself (evolution of the jumpdrive)?

caleb
x3tc

Post by caleb » Wed, 18. Apr 18, 02:57

Hey, that's cool. And I'm in the same boat as you. Played X-Tension for far more than I want to acknowledge, X2, X3s for massive amount of hours, and they are each great in their own right. I did preorder rebirth, and it was a massive let down. And I did try to play it. Just could not get into it. I was very active in the forums during that time, and I feed cheated and lied to. The picture they painted of the game was way different than what it actually was.

Overhype? maybe. But I still think they went a bit too far on the promises, and did not deliver. Maybe that was just me, but perception is your personal reality.

That does not mean I hate Egosoft. I think they have been able to create some great games, and here I am hoping that X4 will be another great game. That it delivers everything we want in a game, and more! But I did mature as a gamer on that regard. I do not pre-order games anymore. We have much more information now a days to check before buying a game. I'm not overhyping myself either. I just do not blindly trust any company anymore.

So it's just a shift in perspective. I have to say that being hyped about something can be fun. To dream about how great things will be. To feel like you are part of something as it develops. Unfortunately, reality is not really like that.

So here is hoping for a great game. If they make a great game, we all win.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Wed, 18. Apr 18, 14:06

Rebirth was, unfortunately, a bit of a disaster at launch - it really didn't work properly and felt very very empty feature-wise. I was encouraged by the move to a new engine (proper multi-threading support, x64 - eventually) and I did like the capital ship designs with multiple hardpoints etc. However, ES never delivered on the promised customisation options. We never got a "fit this type of turret or that type of turret" No, we got "fit a turret or do not" that's not really customisation.

However, ES did give us DLC and a load more ships, so while customisation was out, there was more variety. Modders of course gave us a lot more stuff, both ships and features such as Player Owned Shipyards - which should have been a vanilla option I feel.

One of the things that does concern me though is this new Engine. Sure it multi-threads now and, from my own observations the CPU load is fairly balanced over all threads. This is good. However, sadly, the engine does appear fundamentally broken when it's pushed. What do I mean by this? Well, there are some ambitious mods out there that add more ships, more ships in-game at any point, additional Zones, Sectors and Systems as well as other features. With these new features being added by modding, I'd expect to see resource usage increase as the Engine is pushed harder. The problem is, every single game I've played (even vanilla, to a lesser degree) has seen performance utterly tank over time. This is NOT CPU/GPU resource limit, rather an engine problem where it simply cannot utilise the resources available to it.

Basically, over time performance tanks but so does resource utilisation. This is disturbing as it shows that the engine simply cannot scale when more is asked of it, despite it being multi-threaded and there being ample system resources. It's this fundamental engine limitation that really worries me. When I consider how far modders pushed the old Engine in X3 AP & TC for example, that old engine was being pushed much harder, yet it was largely single threaded, with only the DX workload getting it's own thread.

Now, I'm looking forward to X4, a lot, but my on-going concern is how is adding a huge portion of the older X games feature set - so, lots of flyable ships etc. - going to impact this engine, especially over the long, potentially modded, play-throughs many of us will likely have?

I'm reassured how Bernd has owned the mistakes made with Rebirth, plus he and the team are genuine fans of the genre and want to do the best job possible. I've not doubt there. However, I do think it's critical that they take advantage of the community for extended closed beta testing prior to release, to hopefully iron out as many launch-day wrinkles as possible, and to also gauge performance on as great a variety of hardware as possible.

Note: I'm aware ES have continued to update Rebirth as well as older titles, this is great and shows their commitment to their games. That said though, none of the updates appear to have fixed the Engine starting to choke late-game. If my CPU was being pushed in a mature game, I'd accept that as a signal to upgrade. That's fair, However, invariably my resource utilisation is far lower come my late-game stage accompanied by stutter, low-fps and unresponsive controls.

My hope is that ES can nail the resource utilisation with this Engine, giving it both longevity and scalability as more cores/threads become the norm, as well as giving modders the capability to push things even further.

Anyway, I rambled a bit as usual. I'm looking forward to the next update / live stream from ES and I've LOVE IT if the devs took some time to talk about performance. I know it's very early days and traditionally optimisation / performance tweaks would be more a priority once the game is feature-complete. However, considering these games are never feature-complete when you consider future updates, DLC and of course the modding community. Well, keeping an eye on performance from the start - especially as this is an established engine - is important. The engines odd issue with actually using the resources it has available makes this more critical. If my fancy 8 Core CPU is performing no better than my old, reliable 4 Core CPU from seven years ago - no GPU bottleneck FYI - then something isn't quite right.

Final thought: Modding, at least for me, has been such a huge part of the X Game experience that ensuring that the game still runs well - fully utilising available resources - is very important to me.

Scoob.

seePyou
x4

Post by seePyou » Wed, 18. Apr 18, 15:39

I have countless hours in all X games, and have been plauying them for ever. X3TC is still my favorite game of all time and I still spend a lot of time in it. Only this month I started a new game run on X3TC to tackle a new self-imposed goal.

I own all games, even X:Rebirth

X:Rebirth was bought on pre-order.

I have never since, nor will I ever again, pre-order any game.

I have faith in no company, and I do not state this as a negative. I simply acknowledge that companies are lead by people who are not infallible.

Egosoft has a strong history of keeping up with their games, so Egosoft remains a good company in my book. I still have no faith in them, but as I said, I have no faith in any company.

It's not about faith. I know that X3 was released with bugs and Egosoft kept on and keeps on maintaining it. This is to their credit and I respect them for it. This does not mean I have faith in them.

I will keep my eyes out for X4, and I will wait until some reviewers I tend to agree with present their reviews. When I read these reviews, I will decide if I will buy the game or not. Faith will still not be forthcoming, not to Egosoft, and not to any other company.

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Wed, 18. Apr 18, 17:01

I wouldn't say I have faith - if all we had was the vague promise of "a real X4" I would be quite worried.

But consider how much we have seen working in-engine on one of the streams:
  • Flying (almost) every ship and switching between them
  • Piloting capital ships
  • Teleportation
  • Freeform placement & construction of stations
  • Multiple weapon slots on fighters
  • Graphical ship equipment editor
  • The new map, in all its glory
  • Travel engines
  • TOAs/superhighways (whatever they are in X4)
  • Real carriers, carrying ships, not just drones
Yes, any or all of this could be gone at release, but considering they've programmed the basics of it and shown it running to us, I think it's much less likely.

All this is very encouraging to me, because it's a clear departure from XR where so many things were fixed. Player ship fixed, ship loadout fixed, station locations and build orders fixed. Command and control for your ships much reduced. Being able to choose so much more in X4 will make you feel much more like a real part of the universe, which alongside empire-building is a main draw of X for me.

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Wed, 18. Apr 18, 19:58

@MegaJohnny
Has Egosoft ever made a statement about the station interior?
Is the hangar everything we get or do they plan on building inner space like in X-Rebirth?

Return to “X4: Foundations”