Éire/Ireland.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Referedums for reunification?

Yes.
8%
No.
46%
If there is, there will be rivers of blood.
15%
Ispíní. ( Sausages!? )
31%

Total votes: 13

devilofbelfast
xr

Post by devilofbelfast » Wed, 11. Apr 18, 13:31

Ireland was NEVER unified under one flag except as part of the u.k. 'Unification' is an asperaation, 'reunification' is nothing more than a republican fantasy.

Edit; Ireland doesnt actually want Northern Ireland anyway, they cant afford the disability benefits bill nor the cost of policing yet another hundred year plus civil war
the four most important things iv'e found out,
1, your birth certificate is an apology letter from the condom factory.
2, dont argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experiance.
3, if gods watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining,
4, Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Wed, 11. Apr 18, 16:14

Although I have no say in the matter, I can tell you that if my Northern Irish relatives are anything to go by, there is little interest in unification from the North as well.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 11. Apr 18, 17:39

That will be right up until the Catholics outnumber the protestants in the North, unless that is republican fantasy. :roll:
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

devilofbelfast
xr

Post by devilofbelfast » Wed, 11. Apr 18, 19:40

Gotta wonder why you think religion is relevant to the situation Greypanther? (Religion has nothing to do with republicanism, plenty of republican Protestants, Muslims, ect here too) Out of the hundreds of catholics in my social circle, NONE of them will vote for unification as Ireland will not pay anywhere near the same level of benefits as the UK does aswell as weed being three times the price down there. Do you really think anyone will vote to be homeless and unable to afford to eat/see a doctor ect?

The only chance for any type of unication is for Ireland to legalize recreational weed before the U.K does. Given that at least 50% of our population are users, thats about the only way to get anyone to listen to anything the government has to say on any issue.

Another point to be made is that we in Northern Ireland have been without a functional government for over a year now and will likely still be in the same situation in another year so theres no possibility of any referendum on anything until thats sorted as the only person with the power to authoriise it is the Secretary of State.

Gotta wonder though, everyone seemed to be up in arms about Russia annexing Crimea yet when it's an allied country (Ireland) trying to annex the other 66% of Ulster it doesnt seem to matter. Repatriation is an issue that needs discussed too. If Northern Ireland is sold down the river to Ireland, there will likely be about a million pretty pissed off people arriving around the rest of the U.K as none of the Protestants i know will stay here
2, dont argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experiance.
4, Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 11. Apr 18, 21:42

devilofbelfast wrote:Gotta wonder why you think religion is relevant to the situation Greypanther?
From several articles in the past and the O'Neil family living next door to us some time ago, who flew the Ulster flag from their window sometimes. They were not Catholic. Catholics were worse than Grey Squirrels in their mind! :roll:

Oh and from another fella I met in Blackpool who claimed he had married the daughter of a mover and shaker in the IRA, was on the run to avoid a kneecapping. I cannot remember his name, which is annoying.

devilofbelfast
xr

Post by devilofbelfast » Wed, 11. Apr 18, 22:01

id be guessing those articles were written by people who havnt set foot here in the last 30 years or more. Noone gives a damn about religion anymore other than the 5% of nutjobs with nothing better to do than hang out with thier bully boy mates down the pub every night spending the child benefit.

You do know a 'knee-capping' is just getting shot in the knee? not very serious as a punishment. Noone would go on the run over it. People do like to bulls*it about why they got kicked out and usually its for being a pedo or a heroin dealer from down south.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 11. Apr 18, 23:35

"just getting shot in the knee? not very serious as a punishment." Well having had to deal with those afflicted by this (usually shot through and from immediately behind the knee joint), I'd certainly be wary if I thought it likely to happen to me. Still that's off topic.

I do agree that religion as a cause for the violence over there was often more a badge to be worn or to hide behind when the actual intentions were profit-making criminality of protection rackets, illegal drugs, drinking and gambling or just the buzz of gang membership, etc. There were the well-protected leaders and enablers and then there were the mainly expendable 'soldier' class to do the risky and nasty stuff to help fly the relevant flag.

Why is this still relevant now? Well history and mutual distrust are still the main reasons why power-sharing is a fragile patina over an intransient and deep-rooted blame culture. Some in whichever side does not get what they want in any reunification referendum would probably quickly resort back to non-democratic means of expressing their distaste at the result.

Could that situation be managed by the authorities (again)? Probably in the long term, but it would most likely be ugly and very damaging in the short and medium term, in my opinion at least.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 12. Apr 18, 00:17

RegisterMe wrote:Well Chips, having an Irish mother, and an English father, I disagree with you :).
Nothing wrong with that. I just don't see why those who aren't Irish should have any say in what happens in Ireland with regards to Northern Ireland and Eire though. If you've got citizenship, then you're part of those who I'd consider as having a say :P

But I'm not Irish, and therefore not going to tell either part what they should do. It's for "them" (the Irish) to resolve whether they unify or not, not me or other outsiders. Telling other countries what to do has never really worked out well.

That is what my post is about.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 12. Apr 18, 08:59

devilofbelfast wrote: You do know a 'knee-capping' is just getting shot in the knee? not very serious as a punishment.
Agonising pain and being crippled for life isn't a serious punishment in your book? I dread to imagine what you *would* consider serious, in that case!

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 12. Apr 18, 09:38

pjknibbs wrote:
devilofbelfast wrote: You do know a 'knee-capping' is just getting shot in the knee? not very serious as a punishment.
Agonising pain and being crippled for life isn't a serious punishment in your book? I dread to imagine what you *would* consider serious, in that case!
Evidently someone who has never experienced long term pain, or actually looked into it. The knee is a complex structure, putting a bullet through it means at a minumum pain for the rest of your life, certainly difficulty walking.

It's not like those Hollywood 'oh, it's ok, the bullet went through the shoulder type things.' (I hate those).
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Thu, 12. Apr 18, 12:22

devilofbelfast wrote:You do know a 'knee-capping' is just getting shot in the knee? not very serious as a punishment. Noone would go on the run over it.
I do not want to live in your world really and would like to have as much distance between your world and mine, as possible. Shame we just cannot saw off Northern Ireland and set it adrift. It has been nothing but a problem as long as I have been alive. :roll:

devilofbelfast
xr

Post by devilofbelfast » Thu, 12. Apr 18, 13:07

Having been shot more than once, i can tell yous that my back is more painful than any gunshot wound. (did damage being a pallbearer when i was a teen)

You guys seem to be under the very much mistaken impression that paramilitirism is a northern irish thing, i can assure you there are active english, welsh and scottish paramilitary groups with more members each than ever existed in northern ireland with all groups combined. Cornish Liberation Front, Yorkshire Liberation front, Welsh Liberation Front, and those are just three of the biggest with in excess of two million members each.

What would 'sawing off Northern Ireland' accomplish when you've at least ten times more active terrorists in your country than mine? Not to mention all those isis blokes your government seems detirmened to import?

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 12. Apr 18, 13:55

devilofbelfast wrote:You guys seem to be under the very much mistaken impression that paramilitirism is a northern irish thing, i can assure you there are active english, welsh and scottish paramilitary groups with more members each than ever existed in northern ireland with all groups combined. Cornish Liberation Front, Yorkshire Liberation front, Welsh Liberation Front, and those are just three of the biggest with in excess of two million members each.
I looked into these groups, I see no evidence of anything of the scale you suggest. Anyway, any comparison with the Troubles is plainly ridiculous, seeing as none of them are routinely blowing people up, nor are they funded / provided with military equipment by sympathisers in the USA.
As far as I can see the largest scale terrorist action taken by such a group is the arson of a restaurant.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 12. Apr 18, 14:41

devilofbelfast wrote:Having been shot more than once, i can tell yous that my back is more painful than any gunshot wound. (did damage being a pallbearer when i was a teen)
I'm sorry, but your statement makes as much sense as my claiming that my brain injury makes me an expert in all brain trauma cases. It's nonsensicle and I wouldn't do it. Having seen some of them it would be an insult for me to try.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Return to “Off Topic English”