The difference between business and academia

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

philip_hughes
x3tc

The difference between business and academia

Post by philip_hughes » Thu, 12. Apr 18, 22:10

Hey guys. A bit of an update, I am now Dr Philip Hughes, head of science, flurosat. We have a cheezy website and everything if you want to look it up. I am quite stressed but happy.

Here is why I'm stressed.

I was given the task of making some predictions for agriculture from a satellite or drone image. They also said they would like it if i could do it with no data. This is impossible but i did it anyway with a caveat i borrowed from the hunt for red October: making this prediction is possible, but not recommended.

They then asked me what i would do next if this prexictiin proved accurate. I told them i would collect my nobel prize and move to the Bahamas
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 12. Apr 18, 22:46

You left Academia? Are you nuts?

Didn't you see Ghostbusters? They expect results.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Thu, 12. Apr 18, 22:59

At least business does pay. Academia around here means you get limited time contracts, big workloads and little to hardly mentionable pay.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Thu, 12. Apr 18, 23:02

GZ Phil, good move. Academia doesn't pay well not to mention the lack of a nice social package, which you enjoying now ;-)

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 13. Apr 18, 01:13

I do tell my students that if it's money they want, then academia isn't the place to work, but to me work has never been about the money.

I either enjoy my job or I refuse to do it.

Then I quite literally hate not having anything to do when I'm not at work. I drive my wife crazy.

But what is this social package thing? I have trouble remembering to take the leave I'm allocated as it is, is a social package more leave?
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 13. Apr 18, 08:42

mrbadger wrote: But what is this social package thing? I have trouble remembering to take the leave I'm allocated as it is, is a social package more leave?
I don't think Australia has a free health service like we do, so I'm guessing the "social package" would include health insurance.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 13. Apr 18, 09:44

Ah, so that would be a good thing.

But it's all a good thing, jut not a thing I could do.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Fri, 13. Apr 18, 09:48

mrbadger wrote:I do tell my students that if it's money they want, then academia isn't the place to work, but to me work has never been about the money.

I either enjoy my job or I refuse to do it.

Then I quite literally hate not having anything to do when I'm not at work. I drive my wife crazy.

But what is this social package thing? I have trouble remembering to take the leave I'm allocated as it is, is a social package more leave?
What is the factor?
If I go to Academia here, I get 70k min with bonus up to 100k. That is much more then business with 50-70k and years later maybe more then 100k as well.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 13. Apr 18, 11:57

Tamina wrote: What is the factor?
If I go to Academia here, I get 70k min with bonus up to 100k. That is much more then business with 50-70k and years later maybe more then 100k as well.
70k in what currency?

I could earn far more with my qualifications in the private sector. I know, I have. But it wasn't fun. I only did the job until I could find what I was looking for, a position in Academia. It paid less initially. Now it doesn't, and if I was interested in taking the management pill my wages could go higher still.

But I'm not. I'm well off, I have a tiny mortgage, lower than rent on a single room flat. Why would I work myself that hard when I'm happy now?

I had the chance to work for Google, and they made it sound enticing, but I know people who work there, and that's all they do, 'work for Google'. It consumes their lives.

No thanks, it's not worth the money.

My son feels differently, and I support that. He has his Masters and he's looking for a good job in the commercial sector not dissimilar to Dr Phil. Something to do with mud anyway. I paid for him to go on a feild trip to Switzerland where he climbed a mountain and licked rocks or somesuch. He had a hammer as well, but I remember him texting me about licking rocks to see what type they were.

I guess I don't really get what he's studied :) Geology? He analyed a peat bog for his Masters project, which didn't seem much like geology to me though, so perhaps I'm mistaken.

I'm a bad father.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 13. Apr 18, 12:13

@ mrbadger: My 2 year old granddaughter often licks stones and mud. It sounds as though she may have a bright future in that branch of Academia or the related commercial sector too. :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

clakclak
x3

Re: The difference between business and academia

Post by clakclak » Fri, 13. Apr 18, 12:32

philip_hughes wrote:[...] We have a cheezy website and everything if you want to look it up. [...]
Important question about the website. Why didn't Aleksey Achkasov and Sebastine Ugbaje get one of those sleek FluroSat shirts for their pictures?
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 13. Apr 18, 13:53

Alan Phipps wrote:@ mrbadger: My 2 year old granddaughter often licks stones and mud. It sounds as though she may have a bright future in that branch of Academia or the related commercial sector too. :D
Or possibly some very weird pregnancy related eating habits in her future. My sons mother wanted to eat shoes :?

When he was three he put a load of rocks in a bucket of water and pressed down on then 'to make a diamond for his mum'.
Last edited by mrbadger on Fri, 13. Apr 18, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.

Retiredman
x3ap

Post by Retiredman » Fri, 13. Apr 18, 13:53

Should have made your prediction only 5% correct. Then claim it as a victory.
The man paying you always expect more for less.
You could have leached this for 20 years by adding 5% each year.
By that time you would be so valuable that you could command a very high salary and in
10 retire to real comfort.
Playing the game and what to play is the key.
You think a hero is some weird sandwitch and not a guy attacking a Xeno J with a kestrel.

Sir.. I said .. A guy attacking a J with a kestrel is the sandwitch.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Fri, 13. Apr 18, 16:04

pjknibbs wrote:
mrbadger wrote: But what is this social package thing? I have trouble remembering to take the leave I'm allocated as it is, is a social package more leave?
I don't think Australia has a free health service like we do, so I'm guessing the "social package" would include health insurance.
Incorrect - although there are user-pays elements to our system, basic health care is free to all. Health insurance is beneficial but not essential, and it is the concern of the patient, not of their employer.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 13. Apr 18, 17:04

Usenko wrote: Incorrect - although there are user-pays elements to our system, basic health care is free to all.
OK, happy to be proven wrong on that one. What "user-pay" elements do you have? In the UK NHS patients usually have to pay for prescriptions and dental treatment, unless they have an exception due to genuinely being too poor to afford it.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 13. Apr 18, 17:50

There are excemptions for chronic medical condtitions

I have an excemption due to being epileptic. My wife has one for her medical condition.

Not all chronic conditions can get it. certain kinds of Diebetes don't for example, unless they can be determined to not be self inflicted, such by alcohol abuse or obesity. But such kinds can usually be reversed if the sufferer stops drinking or loses weight. They usually don't, so prescriptions aren't free.

Other types, like type 2 diabetes caused by autoimmune disorder just can't be reversed no matter what you do, since it's your own body causing it. Those usually get exceptions, or used to. I think they still do. It's up to the doctor.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Fri, 13. Apr 18, 19:46

mrbadger wrote:Other types, like type 2 diabetes caused by autoimmune disorder just can't be reversed no matter what you do, since it's your own body causing it.
Just for the record, that would be Type 1 diabetes - not Type 2.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 13. Apr 18, 19:55

Observe wrote:
mrbadger wrote:Other types, like type 2 diabetes caused by autoimmune disorder just can't be reversed no matter what you do, since it's your own body causing it.
Just for the record, that would be Type 1 diabetes - not Type 2.
No, type 2, Type 1 as well, but type 2 can be the result of autoimmune disorders as well. I know, I have a friend with it, a quite thin, very fit frind who has a thyroid issue and was warned years ago they might develop diabetes. and a a couple of years ago they did.

They get quite angry about all the 'you can cure type 2' stuff that's peddled, because it's only true if the type 2 diabetes is self inflicted, and hers wasn't.

If you have one autoimmune disorder you are more likely to develop another apparently.
Last edited by mrbadger on Fri, 13. Apr 18, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

Rice
x3tc

Post by Rice » Fri, 13. Apr 18, 20:02

Type 1 is if the pancreas has been "destroyed"
Type 2 if the body can't work with the Hormon(Insulin) anymore
as a rough summary, both can happen from youth to old age, the mechanism why the body can't work with "sugar" anymore is just a difference.
so both are right to some degree :D
[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]
Eine der hoffnungsreichsten Lebenslagen ist die, wenn es uns so schlecht geht, dass es uns nicht mehr schlechter gehen kann. [Felix Krull]

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 13. Apr 18, 20:08

In my friends case, her body is attacking the pancreas and damaging its ability to produce insulin. But not enough to become type 1.

It's not because of being overweight or drinking. The usual modern causes.

Return to “Off Topic English”