Always Learning

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 23. Apr 18, 15:59

NewtSoup wrote:
Ketraar wrote:I learned no too long ago from Cycrow on the steam forums that Secondary do give stations a bonus, albeit a small one. I too was convinced they were just there as a sink.

MFG

Ketraar
Now I'm confused lol But doesn't matter because my ships deal in secondaries anyway. They go where the profitsss are.
Unconfusing things:

- Only NPC stations have Secondary Resources
- Secondary Resources give these stations a small boost in production ( Cycrows statement here )

It wont affect your trading opportunities much, unless you rely on NPC station output, then it may be a good strategy to keep the secondary stocked up for greater output.

MFG

Ketraar

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Mon, 23. Apr 18, 17:50

Ketraar wrote:
NewtSoup wrote:
Ketraar wrote:I learned no too long ago from Cycrow on the steam forums that Secondary do give stations a bonus, albeit a small one. I too was convinced they were just there as a sink.

MFG

Ketraar
Now I'm confused lol But doesn't matter because my ships deal in secondaries anyway. They go where the profitsss are.
Unconfusing things:

- Only NPC stations have Secondary Resources
- Secondary Resources give these stations a small boost in production ( Cycrows statement here )

It wont affect your trading opportunities much, unless you rely on NPC station output, then it may be a good strategy to keep the secondary stocked up for greater output.

MFG

Ketraar
Certainly do. The way I run my trade networks is this:

Instead of big self sufficient complexes I only build complexes of a certain resource level. So Wheat, Sunrise Flowers, Argnu Beef, etc will get complexed together.

The output of these complexes is then sold purely to NPC stations for a good profit.

My next level up - cahoona bakeries, Nostrop refineries, BoFu factories etc then buy their resources only from NPC suppliers at as close to minimum price as I can get.

That way I make the best profits on my own stations at every stage of production. AND it means no NPC stations that might be useful get poofed out of existence for stagnating.

At the moment because I don't have any complexes up and runing I'm using CLS to supply energy and resources between npc stations but they will get turned into CAGs as needed.

I will turn the script editor on in time because sooner or later stations will get damaged and station repair services are few and far between. Instead I like to create a repair ship from a Boron Hyrda ( yeah I found a use for a hydra! ) and I script a load of repair lasers onto it's nose.
I am a rock in the wind, watch how I plummet!
Gamer Girl since 1981 Mistress of Heavy Landings since 1984 (BBC-B Elite)

Corei7 7700, 16GB Ram, MSI RX6700XT, Sidewinder FFB2, Kubuntu 22.04

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 24. Apr 18, 20:58

MFG

Ketraar
Well, that's counter to what the devs have said in the past and I'd like to see proof of it before I believe it. I personally have never seen a difference.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Hemmingfish

Post by Hemmingfish » Tue, 24. Apr 18, 22:09

NewtSoup wrote:I will turn the script editor on in time because sooner or later stations will get damaged and station repair services are few and far between. Instead I like to create a repair ship from a Boron Hyrda ( yeah I found a use for a hydra! ) and I script a load of repair lasers onto it's nose.
Get the Marine Repairs mod and save yourself the tedium. It's one of the mods that I consider essential, and a lot more balanced than resorting to cheating.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 24. Apr 18, 22:17

Nanook wrote:Well, that's counter to what the devs have said in the past and I'd like to see proof of it before I believe it. I personally have never seen a difference.
Well I did link to Cycrows post did I not? He IS a dev. :-P

MFG

Ketraar

DrSuperEvil
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by DrSuperEvil » Wed, 25. Apr 18, 00:02

Only build illegals complexes in Pirate, Unknown or Yaki owned sectors.

SirNukes
x4

Post by SirNukes » Wed, 25. Apr 18, 00:07

Ketraar wrote: Well I did link to Cycrows post did I not? He IS a dev. :-P
Factory performance isn't particularly hidden; someone can watch a station and check if its production and consumption amounts and cycle time match up to expectation when it has secondary resources available. I did this quick check on a cahoona bakery, and everything matches up with the non-secondary relvals: 1 minute cycle time, expected resources in, expected products out.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 25. Apr 18, 21:46

Ketraar wrote:
Nanook wrote:Well, that's counter to what the devs have said in the past and I'd like to see proof of it before I believe it. I personally have never seen a difference.
Well I did link to Cycrows post did I not? He IS a dev. :-P

MFG

Ketraar
Is he? I thought he was the moderator for the S&M forum. I don't see 'Egosoft Dev' in his avatar or his profile. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 26. Apr 18, 00:22

These days Cycrow knows the X3 source code better than many of the people who do carry the Egosoft tag, but if you want confirmation from someone who does have one then here it is. A comment in the code says "Secondary resources increase efficiency by reducing production time" and there's another one that indicates that the reduction is capped at 20%.

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Thu, 26. Apr 18, 00:58

I feel small now for starting a moderator war :shock:
I am a rock in the wind, watch how I plummet!
Gamer Girl since 1981 Mistress of Heavy Landings since 1984 (BBC-B Elite)

Corei7 7700, 16GB Ram, MSI RX6700XT, Sidewinder FFB2, Kubuntu 22.04

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 26. Apr 18, 15:15

@ NewtSoup: No need to feel bad. We moderators think of each other as if we were all brothers and sisters really - with a generous touch of sibling rivalry thrown in of course. :D

Seriously, moderators are pretty much just players who volunteer to help out - and we know how well all our players agree with each other on just about everything. :roll:
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”