Newsflash: The banks are crooked . . .

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Usenko
x3

Newsflash: The banks are crooked . . .

Post by Usenko » Sun, 22. Apr 18, 16:58

Some intriguing events in Australian politics . . .

After the ruling Liberal party lost a minor skirmish in Parliament over the last few months, they have bowed to political pressure and established a Royal Commission into the Financial Services Sector.

I think we were all expecting the Royal Commission to dig up some dirt on the banking sector in Australia. We've all dealt with the banks, and we know they play dirty. But we've all been a little stunned at how quickly the Commission has hit paydirt - normally it takes a few years for a Royal Commission to get to the truth on any matter, but in this case a few months has been enough for some astoundingly awful stories to turn up.

Examples:

* Banks have been charging people for advice which they have not given, in some cases continuing to charge people long after they have died (I mean, advising dead people is a big deal . . . ;)

* Lending brokers have been in situations where a product that was plainly not in the best interests of the client has been sold to them anyway, sometimes completely against the expressed interest of the client. In one case a couple lost their life savings when their adviser placed their money into a high risk/high returns account when they had ASKED for a low risk/low returns account. The money was lost, and the adviser was uncontactable for over a year!

* Documents are routinely falsified and/or deliberately neglected.

* In many cases, even when caught, financial institutions have not given the money back (one even demanded the right to allow customers to "opt in" to a compensation scheme!).

This is just the beginning. If the Royal Commission has found this much in the first two months of hearings, I shudder to think what it will have turned up by the time it concludes in February (and in fact the Powers that Be are already discussing the possibility of extending the Commission if it needs more time!).

A news report can be found here.

NOTE: For those from non Commonwealth countries, a Royal Commission is one of the last remaining ways that being a monarchy affects our day-to-day lives. Basically a Royal Commission is a special type of parliamentary enquiry in which a specially established court speaks with the authority of the Sovereign. Australians do not have the right to silence in order to avoid incriminating ourselves; there are checks and balances[1], but if the Royal Commission asks a question, you answer it or face charges. So this is an incredibly powerful thing.

[1] When all is said and done, Royal Commissions don't happen for just any reason. They are expensive, and called only when something has become a big enough problem that the public demand them (or as in this case, when the government get outmanoeuvred in Parliament. :) ).
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sun, 22. Apr 18, 17:40

This sounds like more than just crooked banks; it sounds like very poor regulation as well. We've had a variety of our own 'scandals' in the UK banking sector over the past 20 years, but they've generally been picked off one at a time by the regulator. If these have been going unchecked*, one has to wonder what the regulator has been doing - nothing at all, or even turning a 'blind eye' to what was going on?

*It's not clear from the link how long or how widespread these practices have been going on.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sun, 22. Apr 18, 18:16

Funny you should mention that.

As far as I can see, there are a few possibilities.

The appropriate regulator is APRA (Australian Prudential Regulation Authority). I suspect the problem is a mixture of the following:

* APRA has buddies in the top end of banking in Australia, making it all but impossible that anyone gets caught ("Word to the wise, we WON'T be checking your bank this week, and we WON'T be looking for documentation on Home loans, wink wink" . . .)

* APRA lacks resourcing.

* APRA has the will and the resources, but the laws are not set up to be any use to them (or perhaps the laws don't require ETHICAL behaviour, just legal).

In any case, anyone want to bet that APRA suddenly gets beefed up (and possibly senior figures get forced to step down)?
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 22. Apr 18, 19:30

The situation is not that different in the UK.

A few years back (actually quite a few years back now) I had the dubious pleasure of doing some work in this field, trying to help financial institutions monitor their own employees' compliance with the various financial regulation rules. My observations were:

1. The FSA (the regulator at the time) was more concerned with not making the compliance monitoring systems too onerous for the financial institutions than it was with actually ensuring that those institutions complied with the rules. My take on this was a) that the financial institutions wielded too much power and the FSA didn't want to upset them, and b) they were all mates anyway.

2. The financial institutions themselves didn't really want to monitor their employees too closely anyway, because it was cheaper for them to just do whatever it took to turn a profit and then pay the fines when they got caught, than it was to even try and comply with the rules in the first place.

Things could have changed in the intervening years but I very much doubt it, as there's very little incentive for anyone to do so.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 22. Apr 18, 22:49

I was working in Australia for two years back in 1990 when the popular Pyramid Building Society collapsed in Victoria. There was a run on their funds when rumours circulated that they were about to become insolvent, even though they said they were actually trading quite profitably and offered better savings interest and lower rates on loans than most other banks, etc.

A lot of people appeared to have had lost all their savings, mortgages, etc when it suddenly collapsed and locked its doors after a sustained widespread run on their funds (savers wanting their money back and pulling out of investment plans). The customers eventually got some partial repayments because Victoria put a 3 cent tax on every litre of fuel sold in the State and so recouped some of the lost cash from their motorists.

In the aftermath, it was discovered that the Society indeed had some hidden bad loans and issues but the story going around Victoria at the time was that it had been the other corporate banks and financial institutions that had banded together, stopped all transfers and underwriting of the Society's trading, and deliberately circulated the rumours of pending insolvency that started the run on the Society. They did not like Pyramid's popularity and highly competitive rates, apparently.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 22. Apr 18, 22:59

CBJ wrote: Things could have changed in the intervening years but I very much doubt it, as there's very little incentive for anyone to do so.
You mean, apart from the whole banking fiasco which brought on the 2008 recession? If anything would encourage the government to start caring about banking, it's suddenly realising they're on the hook for billions to bail out the things...

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Sun, 22. Apr 18, 23:23

pjknibbs wrote:
CBJ wrote: Things could have changed in the intervening years but I very much doubt it, as there's very little incentive for anyone to do so.
You mean, apart from the whole banking fiasco which brought on the 2008 recession? If anything would encourage the government to start caring about banking, it's suddenly realising they're on the hook for billions to bail out the things...
You'd think so, wouldn't you - even here, where we were largely sheltered from the GFC fallout because our banks were so strong and responsible in how they acted (ho ho.) Our government, currently conservative, argued themselves blue in the face that there was no need for a royal commission, and that the (regular) media stories of banking scandals were "isolated incidents". What Usenko failed to mention was it was sustained pressure from the public and the media that made the banks suggest to the government that having a royal commission was probably a good idea. As you can guess, the banks have been on the nose with the public for a fair while now, and I'm guessing that it must have been starting to sound like storming them with pitchforks might be on the cards.

The government, having thus been dragged kicking and screaming into having a royal commission, proceeded to attempt to make the duration as short as possible (one year!) and the terms of reference as narrow as possible (while including super funds as part of it, in the hope of doing some union bashing) have now, since all this has come out, suggested that they should be congratulated for their good sense in starting the royal commission! :evil:

We may yet fix the banks, though I'm not confident, but god I wish we could fix our pollies.

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Mon, 23. Apr 18, 07:09

Sounds like Australia is finally there where Europe is for decades already. Welcome in the modern world! =)
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 23. Apr 18, 10:34

pjknibbs wrote:You mean, apart from the whole banking fiasco which brought on the 2008 recession? If anything would encourage the government to start caring about banking, it's suddenly realising they're on the hook for billions to bail out the things...
It wasn't an incentive for the government that I was referring to, it was one for the financial institutions. Unless the government has somehow found a better way to exert leverage over the financial sector, then that fiasco has achieved nothing. In fact in some ways all it has done is to bolster the financial institutions' confidence, by reminding them that governments can't really afford to let them fail and will bail them out if things get tough.

vr01
x4

Post by vr01 » Tue, 24. Apr 18, 15:22

eladan wrote:We may yet fix the banks, though I'm not confident, but god I wish we could fix our pollies.
Nothing will fix the pollies.

Now all the legal firms are talking class actions against the banks. All that will do is make the lawyers rich...

Banks have our money, super funds invest our super in the banks because they are so strong. All a class action will be is us suing ourselves and continuing to screw ourselves... :lol: :rant:

Return to “Off Topic English”