Has anyone tried to play X3 with permadeath?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

modernrocko
x3tc

Has anyone tried to play X3 with permadeath?

Post by modernrocko » Wed, 2. May 18, 22:25

Title. Or to put it another way, have you ever tried to play a one-and-done game? As in, a death-is-final playthrough? No loading your game if you die, no re-loading if you fail a mission or boarding exercise, etc. Game over. Start a new game.

Just thought it might be an interesting discussion. I don't think it's something I would have the guts to attempt but it might be neat to get something of a competition going to see who can get the furthest. Perhaps there's already a mod out there that facilitates this kind of playthrough.

Obviously if you're playing strictly as a trader/merchant and never enter combat this 'challenge' would be much easier, but even then I think you'd encounter a few situations which might prove to be fatal or game-ending.

Similarly, what's the most unique way you've played through a game of X3?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 2. May 18, 22:34

There are quite a few X3 DiD (dead is dead) stories in the Creative Forum. Perhaps one of the best known is here.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

modernrocko
x3tc

Post by modernrocko » Wed, 2. May 18, 22:46

Thanks, Alan! I'm checking these out right now. I had no idea these existed!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 3. May 18, 00:34

The DiD/ironman/perma had indeed a peak of popularity.

There is even Suicidal Squid game start in X3TC and X3AP, where Steam enforces the "you can die only once". Alas, game can crash, Steam can fail, you might forget that this Station model does not tolerate manual undock with M6, etc reasons might make the end of game seem "slightly unfair".

Unique? I play each game only once. No new (re)starts. Is that unique?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

modernrocko
x3tc

Post by modernrocko » Thu, 3. May 18, 02:17

I'm on page 11 of NUKLEAR-SLUG's thread. Looks like it's going to be a long road ahead reading through and following this story. So entertaining, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

And I wasn't aware of the Suicidal Squid achievement on Steam, that must be the one "Hidden" achievement that's still locked on my list. Might be entertaining to give it a shot, but I've got so much going on with my current playthrough that it'll have to wait for another day. Sounds tough!

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 3. May 18, 10:42

Suicidal Squid is a game start, rather than an achievement.
The related achievement is Survivor

DrSuperEvil
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by DrSuperEvil » Thu, 3. May 18, 15:36

Biggest cause of death in DID starts is being tailgated when entering a sector.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Thu, 3. May 18, 18:22

As a personal answer to the opening question, I have done it but didn't like it. I enjoy jumping into fights that are edgy. Most times I win, but sometimes I lose. If I play in DiD mode there's just too much to lose and I avoid such fights.

There is certainly fun to be had standing on the deck of a giant flagship and directing fleet operations, but I don't want to do it all the time. Playing DiD that becomes the norm.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

modernrocko
x3tc

Post by modernrocko » Thu, 3. May 18, 20:50

Timsup2nothin wrote:As a personal answer to the opening question, I have done it but didn't like it. I enjoy jumping into fights that are edgy. Most times I win, but sometimes I lose. If I play in DiD mode there's just too much to lose and I avoid such fights.
Same here. I don't have my missile complex built yet so I didn't have any Hammers on my M7M last night and couldn't find any for sale at nearby docks when I encountered a pirate Brigantine. The next best option I had was to bring in my Springblossom and hope that I could get in close enough to take the shields down for a boarding attempt.

Needless to say I gave up after about 15 reloads when the lowest I'd gotten the shields before dying was 50%. Situations like this are entirely too tempting for me to pass up so I know a DiD playthrough would be really hard for me to be successful with. Still might be a fun experience to try though.

Meanwhile I continue to live vicariously through NUKLEAR-SLUG. This stuff is gold.

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Fri, 4. May 18, 05:58

modernrocko wrote:
Timsup2nothin wrote:As a personal answer to the opening question, I have done it but didn't like it. I enjoy jumping into fights that are edgy. Most times I win, but sometimes I lose. If I play in DiD mode there's just too much to lose and I avoid such fights.
Same here. I don't have my missile complex built yet so I didn't have any Hammers on my M7M last night and couldn't find any for sale at nearby docks when I encountered a pirate Brigantine. The next best option I had was to bring in my Springblossom and hope that I could get in close enough to take the shields down for a boarding attempt.

Needless to say I gave up after about 15 reloads when the lowest I'd gotten the shields before dying was 50%. Situations like this are entirely too tempting for me to pass up so I know a DiD playthrough would be really hard for me to be successful with. Still might be a fun experience to try though.

Meanwhile I continue to live vicariously through NUKLEAR-SLUG. This stuff is gold.
It's easier in AP, where you get the Hub and an HQ rather early. In that case you can let your CAGs collect Hammers, Flails and Pods whenever they show up.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Fri, 4. May 18, 08:55

RainerPrem wrote: It's easier in AP, where you get the Hub and an HQ rather early. In that case you can let your CAGs collect Hammers, Flails and Pods whenever they show up.
Easy isn't really the issue. I can sit somewhere in a freighter and build a self operating trade empire, make lots of credits, etc etc etc. Heck, I could do it sitting in a ship that was docked. Not dying isn't hard. Not dying while having fun playing, that's what's hard.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Fri, 4. May 18, 10:26

Timsup2nothin wrote:
RainerPrem wrote: It's easier in AP, where you get the Hub and an HQ rather early. In that case you can let your CAGs collect Hammers, Flails and Pods whenever they show up.
Easy isn't really the issue. I can sit somewhere in a freighter and build a self operating trade empire, make lots of credits, etc etc etc. Heck, I could do it sitting in a ship that was docked. Not dying isn't hard. Not dying while having fun playing, that's what's hard.
I wasn't talking about a sitting duck game. I was talking about not having to constantly scan stations in order to find a couple of missiles.

cu
Rainer

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Fri, 4. May 18, 18:41

RainerPrem wrote:
Timsup2nothin wrote:
I wasn't talking about a sitting duck game. I was talking about not having to constantly scan stations in order to find a couple of missiles.

cu
Rainer
My bad.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 4. May 18, 18:59

RainerPrem wrote:get the Hub and an HQ rather early. In that case you can let your CAGs collect
Timsup2nothin wrote:build a self operating trade empire
Depending in interpretation (and scale) CAGs on Hub IS-A self operating trade. However, conceptually "fire and forget" is very different from "continuously monitor".

Being sitting duck is fun. Go to Kha'ak sector. Get them all to chase you. Eject from your ship and walk under its keel, while watching how Kha'ak Kyons glitter in the dark ... (while I don't DiD, I might not die either)
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Fri, 4. May 18, 21:20

I'd argue playing DiD makes jumping into those hard maybe live/maybe die fights all that more interesting.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Fri, 4. May 18, 22:32

Triaxx2 wrote:I'd argue playing DiD makes jumping into those hard maybe live/maybe die fights all that more interesting.
Perhaps, but it makes for a very short play.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”