X4 Ships shown so far...

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

sd_jasper
x4

X4 Ships shown so far...

Post by sd_jasper » Tue, 15. May 18, 16:16

So, because I'm becoming more and more obsessed with X4 each day that passes, I've started watching the various videos that have been released and trying to extract every bit of information that I can. Of course the most interesting thing at this point is, what ships will be in the game? Some are called out, and others only appear on the map details.

So, here is the list of ships that I noticed. I've also tried to collect the Faction, Size, and "Class" of the ships ... some of this can be guessed at, but I'd like to stick to what can be confirmed.
  • Faction - Size - Class - Name
    Argon - M - ? - Cerberus
    Argon - XL - ? - Colossus
    Argon - S - ? - Discoverer
    Argon - L? - Freighter - Magnetar
    Argon - XL - ? - Mammoth
    Argon - L? - Trader - Mercury
    Argon - M - ? - Minotaur
    Argon - S - Fighter - Nova
    Paranid - ? - Trader - Demeter
    Teladi - S - Fighter - Falcon
    Teladi - S - Fighter - Kestrel
    Teladi - ? - Mining - Manorina
    Teladi - M - Fighter - Osprey
    Teladi - ? - Freighter - Pelican
    Teladi - M - Bomber? - Peregrine
    Teladi - M - Trader - Vulture
    Xenon - S - Fighter - N
    ??? - X - Destroyer - Behemoth
    ??? - ??? - Mining - Drill
    ??? - S? - Fighter - Gorgon
    ??? - ??? - Mining - Sunder
    ??? - ??? - Mining - Veles
Let me know if I missed any, or got anything wrong.
Last edited by sd_jasper on Thu, 17. May 18, 13:54, edited 8 times in total.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 15. May 18, 16:22

I think Behemot was mentioned as XL destroyer. Not 100% sure.

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Tue, 15. May 18, 18:12

mr.WHO wrote:I think Behemot was mentioned as XL destroyer. Not 100% sure.
Okay thanks. I updated with this possibility.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 16. May 18, 01:41

Ah glorious speculation, all shiny and chrome, what a lovely day...

MFG

Ketraar

Could just had hit the "notify me for new replies, but I was in a Mad Max mood, so

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Wed, 16. May 18, 03:40

Not a bad start for a person like me who is hoping to see at least 60 ships for each race and something like 300 clusters in terms of size of the galaxy

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Wed, 16. May 18, 04:02

Ketraar wrote:Ah glorious speculation, all shiny and chrome, what a lovely day...

MFG

Ketraar

Could just had hit the "notify me for new replies, but I was in a Mad Max mood, so
All speculation threads should be pinned for all to view ;)

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Wed, 16. May 18, 11:34

Nice list I had no idea they had shown so many ships already. I really need to re watch the streams!

I'm still hopeful we're going to get a stream detailing the ships.
Save game editor XR and CAT/DAT Extractor
Keep in mind that it's still a work in progress although it's taking shape nicely.

If anyone is interested in a new save game editor for X4 and would like to contribute to the creation of one let me know. I do not have sufficient time to create it alone, but if there are enough people who want it and want to contribute we might be able to set something up.

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Wed, 16. May 18, 16:15

I've made a few updates and added several more ships shown in the videos (if only on the map). I don't want to spam with every single update though.

I've also added a page to my old game blog. I also hope to capture some images from the videos and link them there.

http://jaspersshadow.blogspot.com/p/x4- ... ships.html

Since most of these ships are found on the map, I'm trying to identify the symbols that might give a better understanding of the size and class. The little arrows are Small ships, the Arrow with a line are Medium? Then L and XL have special symbols I think... I've seen several Squares with one or two lines. But I don't know if that is L and XL Freighters or could mean more than that.

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Thu, 17. May 18, 09:11

Small symbol without a line: S size
Small symbol with a line: M size
Small symbol with two lines: L size
Special looking big symbol: XL size

In the symbol is also the "category" encoded.
Triangle: Fighter
Square: Trader
Trapez (?): Miner
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

Commander_K
x4

Post by Commander_K » Thu, 17. May 18, 10:00

linolafett wrote:Trapez (?)
Diamond or Lozenge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lozenge

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Thu, 17. May 18, 10:42

Or Rhombus ....?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 17. May 18, 10:57

No, the English name is trapezium (or apparently trapezoid in US English).

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Thu, 17. May 18, 11:22

After Lino's comment, then it appears the Colossus is an XL "fighter" as in the 2nd Q&A video around 34 minutes (https://youtu.be/Hk4pPuC3GjA?t=34m6s) it is clearly shown as a very large triangle. There doesn't seem to be a clear distinction between if it's a 'destroyer' or 'carrier' type (or something else) though.

There are a few others noticeable from that video too so you can update your list with:

Colossus = XL fighter (large unique icon with a triangular shape - destroyer/carrier)
Behemoth = L fighter (small triangle with 2 lines below it)
Cerberus = M fighter (small triangle with 1 line below it)
Minotaur = M fighter (small triangle with 1 line below it)

I also noticed that when attacked, the HAT ships (enemy) had quite a few showing "Docked ships" as "HAT Defence drone" so that's something cool :)

Some examples of the square 'trader' types, M and L sizes, can be seen in icons around 10:52 in that same vid, but they have no names showing (there's just one tiny brief mouse-over of a TEL Food Trader Vulture (M size) at 11:01).
Admiral of the Fleet.

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Thu, 17. May 18, 13:59

Cool. I made updates above, and will be rewatching to see if there is more to find.

One thing that is sort of annoying (already complaining...) is that the names of ships tend to be the LAST part of the full qualified name. So when ships are listed in the area it is something like this: "TEL Intermediate Goods Trader P...", so the (IMO) most important part of the name is cut off. :-/

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Thu, 17. May 18, 15:15

I know this has been discussed before, but can we please have some form of additional textual classification for the sector list? It doesn't have to follow X3's M1-M8 style, but something to the effect.

Having to decipher a jumble of icons on the map while searching for what it represents in the listing feels like a step back from what was a clear, at-a-glance way of assessing ships and threats in a sector.

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Thu, 17. May 18, 15:25

adeine wrote:I know this has been discussed before, but can we please have some form of additional textual classification for the sector list? It doesn't have to follow X3's M1-M8 style, but something to the effect.

Having to decipher a jumble of icons on the map while searching for what it represents in the listing feels like a step back from what was a clear, at-a-glance way of assessing ships and threats in a sector.
Most of the ships (maybe all) have a designation or class, such as: "Mining", "Trader", "Freighter", "Fighter", etc.

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Thu, 17. May 18, 18:10

IMHO with the new map UI, there is less need for a "sector list" at all (list views are kinda horrible and feel very old in terms of UX/UI design).

It's immediately obvious what's going on and where by having the different icon styles for different 'jobs' of ship (Fighter, Trader, Miner) and then variations of the icon for different sizes of those ships (S, M, L, XL). It's not even that important most of the time which race or specific ship type it is, just the size and 'role' that is important for making tactical decisions.

This allows them much needed room for additions in the future too, unlike the old system. Case in point when M7 ships were added to the X universe, they were roughly in between M2 and M6 in terms of size and power but the classifications don't make any sense without shuffling around all the other ships which wasn't sensible (M7 should have been M3, but then M3 would have to become M4, and M4 would have to become M5, so on and so on). M6 also doesn't make any sense, and I believe was added after release, due to the fact it comes after M5 which is the smallest ship possible, the scout, but is in fact a lot bigger than an M3 and can even dock an M5.

This new system is much more flexible and a lot less confusing by keeping those classification styles out.
Admiral of the Fleet.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 17. May 18, 18:25

Vandragorax wrote:IMHO with the new map UI, there is less need for a "sector list" at all (list views are kinda horrible and feel very old in terms of UX/UI design).
Disagree - find the sector list absolutely essential in X games. Play predominantly with joystick + keyboard. Lists are relatively easy to navigate using the keyboard, even with non-dominant hand. Conversely if ships (etc) on the map can only be selected with a mouse I'd have to frequently let go of the joystick (thereby losing control over my ship) every time I need to select something on the map (can't operate a mouse with my keyboard hand - have tried, I'm horrendously imprecise). That would soon become bloody annoying.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 17. May 18, 18:51

GCU Grey Area wrote: Disagree - find the sector list absolutely essential in X games. Play predominantly with joystick + keyboard. Lists are relatively easy to navigate using the keyboard, even with non-dominant hand. Conversely if ships (etc) on the map can only be selected with a mouse I'd have to frequently let go of the joystick (thereby losing control over my ship) every time I need to select something on the map (can't operate a mouse with my keyboard hand - have tried, I'm horrendously imprecise). That would soon become bloody annoying.
+1 to all of that. And if you think it's hard to left-hand a mouse, try to left-hand a trackball XD.

Also, if you end up with a sector cluttered with a lot of assets, as it often happen late-game, it becomes a pain to find a specific ship on the map. If you have a list and know the ship's name, then it's a piece of cake.

Just an idea: A "tabbed" list that could collapse sideway when not wanted would be a good in-between option. Open the tab if you want the list, close it if you want a larger map on your UI.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Thu, 17. May 18, 18:54

Lists are fantastic if they have things like search functions, filters, and multiple sorting methods.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Return to “X4: Foundations”