Pc upgrade

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Pc upgrade

Post by Free Trade Inn » Sun, 13. May 18, 21:28

I have a ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67-M Rev x.0x with 3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2700K, 2x 4 gb memory and a 560 Ti.

Im wanting to get 16gig memory and a 1070 or better graphics card.
Maybe in spec for X4.

What do you guys recomend for my motherboard and CPU limitations?

Cheers in advance,

FTI
You can be cool, or you can be nasty, but as soon as you are one, you are not the other.
FTI

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 13. May 18, 21:54

The board does have PCIe 2.0 x16. Technically, you can replace the 560 Ti with 1070 etc, unless you PSU becomes insufficient. I have no facts about CPU / GPU ratio.

You board has 4 DIMM slots for DDR3, PC3-10600, 1333 MHz modules, and supports "up to 32 gb2. Therefore, with second pair of "2x 4 gb memory" (preferably identical specs), you would reach the 16gig.

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Sun, 13. May 18, 22:01

Cheers I saw these and was am thinking about buying https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kingston-hyp ... 1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G-SKILL-Ripj ... 1438.l2649

Cheers in advance,

FTI
You can be cool, or you can be nasty, but as soon as you are one, you are not the other.
FTI

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 13. May 18, 22:14

Maybe change the graphics card and wait to see how the game plays on your pc. The graphics card might go on sale before the next x game is released. You might want to check the adapters on your power supply for the 1070 graphics card that you want.

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Mon, 14. May 18, 01:14

Im not going to get a chance to upgrade the memory again so thats why I wanna max it out and see what it can do.

FTI
FTI

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Mon, 14. May 18, 04:10

The 560Ti max stock power draw is 170W requiring 2 6pins
the 1070 non Ti is 150W requiring 1 8pin connector.
So assuming you have a bag full of cables that came with your power supply, that isn't an issue.

The 1070 is a bit longer (10.5") than the 560Ti (9")
So you might want to check it'll fit and not bump into HDD cages or whatever else is at the front of your computer.

As for limiting factors
CPU:
The 2700K is a good overclocker, there are quite a few 5Ghz ones at safe voltages for 24/7 use out there.
Assuming you have the cooling head room. You can get extra performance for free out of it.
And at around 5Ghz it certainly won't be a limiting factor any time soon.

The motherboard:
a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot offers a maximum theoretical bandwidth of 8GB/s, while a PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot reaches 16GB/s.
So it can make a difference in some games, in others it will make no difference.
Worst case scenario you'll take a 10% hit -link to test-.
So it could be a limiting factor but not something you really need to worry about.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 14. May 18, 14:19

Your ideal PC upgrade package would be the following

A Macbook, in a leather carrying pouch that inexplicably you bought without a shoulder strap.
A Starbucks Caramel Latte
A Ralph Lauren Oxford shirt.
Casual trousers, but not ’too’ casual. Maybe some Slacks from one of the shops at Bicester Village.
Any kind of expensive pointy leather shoe

There you go, instant upgrade kit. Of course no-one will ever talk to you again.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 14. May 18, 15:16

talking from experience mrbadger? :-P

MFG

Ketraar

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 14. May 18, 15:54

Ketraar wrote:talking from experience mrbadger? :-P

MFG

Ketraar
It might be someone I know....

Not me owever. I have stuck to my philosophy of being so scruffy my son would have no alternative but to be tidy if he wished to rebel against me. It worked perfectly. He's now conspiring with my wife to force me into being tidier, making me conform with him, it's unfair.

Also, Caramel in coffee? Are you mad?
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 14. May 18, 16:49

mrbadger wrote:Your ideal PC upgrade package would be the following

A Macbook, in a leather carrying pouch that inexplicably you bought without a shoulder strap.
A Starbucks Caramel Latte
A Ralph Lauren Oxford shirt.
Casual trousers, but not ’too’ casual. Maybe some Slacks from one of the shops at Bicester Village.
Any kind of expensive pointy leather shoe

There you go, instant upgrade kit. Of course no-one will ever talk to you again.
Making some changes...

HP Multimedia Laptop w/ upgraded features
Alienware leather laptop bag w/ strap (Best bag ever!)
Starbucks Caffe Mocha, Large, w/ "yes please" whipped cream

And... now it's me. :)

PS - Add "random book" shoved in the bag and the upgrade is complete.

Lwerewolf
x4

Post by Lwerewolf » Tue, 15. May 18, 14:18

OmegaKnight wrote:The 560Ti max stock power draw is 170W requiring 2 6pins
the 1070 non Ti is 150W requiring 1 8pin connector.
So assuming you have a bag full of cables that came with your power supply, that isn't an issue.

The 1070 is a bit longer (10.5") than the 560Ti (9")
So you might want to check it'll fit and not bump into HDD cages or whatever else is at the front of your computer.

As for limiting factors
CPU:
The 2700K is a good overclocker, there are quite a few 5Ghz ones at safe voltages for 24/7 use out there.
Assuming you have the cooling head room. You can get extra performance for free out of it.
And at around 5Ghz it certainly won't be a limiting factor any time soon.

The motherboard:
a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot offers a maximum theoretical bandwidth of 8GB/s, while a PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot reaches 16GB/s.
So it can make a difference in some games, in others it will make no difference.
Worst case scenario you'll take a 10% hit -link to test-.
So it could be a limiting factor but not something you really need to worry about.
This.

You might want to tell us what you're trying to achieve with this - what do you wanna use it for, what is it that you don't like about your current system, etc.

Current gen video cards are over 2 years old, nvidia's expected to bring something new to the table very soon. AMD... we'll have to wait I guess.

As already mentioned, your CPU won't be a bottleneck if you overclock it. This assumes that you have (or are willing to invest in) a decent CPU cooler (stock won't do, something like the coolermaster h212 is the minimum I'd go for), and a good power supply (seriously don't cheap out on this).

How are 8 gigs of RAM limiting you at the moment?

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 15. May 18, 16:01

My two years old graphics card is still able to run any game available. It was at the top of the range.

I'd imagine it woud cost less when the next gen comes out. Unless you really want something to last many years, which I would think would mean buying an entirely new PC, I can't see a reason to get the latest card now for an existing PC.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 15. May 18, 21:01

mrbadger wrote:My two years old graphics card is still able to run any game available. It was at the top of the range.
I'd like to point out that this is sort of the "Moore's Law" of PC construction. Buying something near the top of the chart in terms of performance, today, nets one ongoing performance suitability, typically outlasting many other components. But, "top of the line", while maybe getting better top-performance, doesn't always justify its purchase in terms of longevity when a second-top-of-the-line at the time would have fairly equal results.
I'd imagine it woud cost less when the next gen comes out. Unless you really want something to last many years, which I would think would mean buying an entirely new PC, I can't see a reason to get the latest card now for an existing PC.
For myself, I want some top-of-the-line cards (or close) for GPU use in rendering applications. I don't really care about their performance in gaming, I want those cores, threads and cycles. :)

But, then again, "Bitcoin" miners and their ilk want those cards for those reasons, too. Even though vidcard mfrs are trying to make minging-exclusive cards so the inventory available for gamers is preserved, they really don't have a real economic interest to do so, not unless they can widen the profit margin for cards that are really not meant to actually "display" much of anything.

Return to “Off Topic English”