X4 : next release ?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

alrick
x4

X4 : next release ?

Post by alrick » Wed, 16. May 18, 13:54

Hi all,

I come someting to this forum in order to know when the next release will come ... and i am very sad ! https://forum.egosoft.com/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif because i don't get any news ... I loved playing with X3 XT X3 rebirth X2 the threat etc, and I will be very interesting to get information about X4. Is it possible to send some little topics ? for the fans ?
Thanks

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 16. May 18, 14:12

Have you tried reading the sticky threads at the top of the forum? There's quite a lot of information there, including the most up-to-date estimate of when the game is likely to be released.

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Wed, 16. May 18, 22:19

Hello alrick check the Sticky Post on this forum you will fine some great information and news as well. There is No current info on the next release of fresh information but when there is you will be sure to see it here in the future.

(That is how a moderator acts)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 16. May 18, 22:43

"(That is how a moderator acts)"

Nah, we tend not to totally ignore the previous poster, and especially not if it is an Egosoft dev - (well most times anyway). :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

hawat
x4

Post by hawat » Tue, 22. May 18, 01:35

Alan Phipps wrote:"(That is how a moderator acts)"

Nah, we tend not to totally ignore the previous poster, and especially not if it is an Egosoft dev - (well most times anyway). :D
I read the stickies but couldnt find the most up to date estimate of the release posted by cbj, did i miss something?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 22. May 18, 09:25

What's the release date?
This is not decided yet, we aim for 2018.
Maybe you were looking for something more specific, but I'm afraid there isn't anything. :)

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Tue, 22. May 18, 12:51

@CBJ
Well the last update is from 2017.
I kinda can understand that people do not look there for "latest" informations.
Ich bin für die Einführung von Ironie- und Sarkasmustags.
Alle Klarheiten beseitigt!

DavidGW
x4

Post by DavidGW » Tue, 22. May 18, 13:17

LittleBird wrote:@CBJ
Well the last update is from 2017.
I kinda can understand that people do not look there for "latest" informations.
Especially as that information is now 9 months old, while there's only 7 months left in 2018 :P

Release Date Update Needed ASAP!

You can update it to "Soon*" if you wish, CBJ!

*where "Soon" means within 7 months...

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 22. May 18, 13:29

It may be from 2017 but it's still the most recent information. I'm struggling to understand how us giving an "update" that says "the expected release date is still some time in 2018" every month would change anything. ;)

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 22. May 18, 16:08

Alan Phipps wrote:"(That is how a moderator acts)"

- ha, ha! :lol:

PS: btw, from the stuff released so far, it's looking amazing..!! :D
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

DavidGW
x4

Post by DavidGW » Tue, 22. May 18, 16:17

Hey, it doesn't really change anything. But it would still be nice to know whether you're still on track for 2018, or if you're considering delaying to 2019.

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Tue, 22. May 18, 16:27

CBJ wrote:It may be from 2017 but it's still the most recent information. I'm struggling to understand how us giving an "update" that says "the expected release date is still some time in 2018" every month would change anything. ;)
Seriously.
People who search latest release information would not look in an old thread. Especially if it is a confusing thread to look for specific informations.
I would say a short FAQ with main infos only would help or at least the expected release on your X4 main page.
Ich bin für die Einführung von Ironie- und Sarkasmustags.
Alle Klarheiten beseitigt!

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Tue, 22. May 18, 17:14

I am not sure why knowing a release date "as soon as possible" really helps anyone ;)

Keep your pants on people, and just add the game to your Steam wishlist. Once Egosoft are ready, I am certain they will update a release date on the Steam store page at the same time as notifying on these forums.
Admiral of the Fleet.

Crellion
x3tc

Post by Crellion » Fri, 25. May 18, 09:27

CBJ wrote:It may be from 2017 but it's still the most recent information. I'm struggling to understand how us giving an "update" that says "the expected release date is still some time in 2018" every month would change anything. ;)
You SEXY man!

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Fri, 25. May 18, 11:00

@CBJ I understand why you say that. However it's always good too approach these questions from their perspective.

It's a very vague estimate created a long time ago. So tensions and anticipation is rising since from their point of view we're already in the mentioned release window and there has been no to limited information about the game since. It would be natural for them to "panic" and expect the worst.

Expectation management is very important and something Egosoft could really benefit improving in.

Egosofts track record does not help matters. Even though Egosoft always delivers nice products eventually the road to get there however is rocky.

So be patient with your customers and be nice to them if they act out based on the fear of disappointment ;)

(An easy solution would be to do what he asked and create an extra FAQ with max 5 of the most important points and update it monthly, with still on track. Not a bad idea and very low effort, so win win ;) )
Save game editor XR and CAT/DAT Extractor
Keep in mind that it's still a work in progress although it's taking shape nicely.

If anyone is interested in a new save game editor for X4 and would like to contribute to the creation of one let me know. I do not have sufficient time to create it alone, but if there are enough people who want it and want to contribute we might be able to set something up.

Fleabum
x4

Post by Fleabum » Fri, 25. May 18, 12:50

Sounds to me like Egosoft could do with a professional full time community facing member of staff that would interact with their community, the wider audience and press.

Maybe even go as far as weekly dev diary updates, showcase new features. Show new ship highlights, maybe a bit of real play of the ship in flight, anything to keep the community engaged.

But we know this isn't Egosofts style. It's the mushroom ethos, keep us in the dark... the dark expanse of space, till that bubbling tiny spark explodes into a shower of OMG, they changed what?

Regards
Flea

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 25. May 18, 13:05

nemesis1982 wrote:Expectation management is very important...
Yes, it is. And that's exactly why we haven't given a more precise date, or plastered it all over the place too much. We are all too familiar with what happens when we give anything more precise. Regardless of how many caveats we give about it being an estimate or aim, it's still "pitchforks at dawn" the moment that estimate turns out not to be 100% accurate! It's also why we don't commit to issuing regular updates, because as a small team we cannot be sure that we will have the time available to do so.
Fleabum wrote:Sounds to me like Egosoft could do with a professional full time community facing member of staff that would interact with their community, the wider audience and press.
That would be lovely, but it's not something we have the resources to do.
Fleabum wrote:Maybe even go as far as weekly dev diary updates, showcase new features. Show new ship highlights, maybe a bit of real play of the ship in flight, anything to keep the community engaged.
Sorry, but even if we could afford the time to do this, the reality is that there isn't something new to tell people about every week. Development can be a frustratingly slow process sometimes, even for those frantically doing the work, let alone for those tapping their fingers waiting for a new game to appear!
Fleabum wrote:But we know this isn't Egosofts style. It's the mushroom ethos, keep us in the dark...
Really? We've done everything we are able to to change that this time around. I'm sorry if there isn't a non-stop flow of information, but we have given lots of information about the game already, and we will do so again when we have something new to tell people about.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Fri, 25. May 18, 14:12

Fleabum wrote:It's the mushroom ethos, keep us in the dark... the dark expanse of space, till that bubbling tiny spark explodes into a shower of OMG, they changed what?
- They have done 1h-livestreams of the game with live Q&As, two times.
- One big Q&A in this forum over several days (see sticky post)
- A live fan event in their HQ (also livestreamed for everybody not attending) where fans were able to speak with the devs in person.
- Also CBJ and Lino are constantly spooking this forum answering questions or more often link to the sticky-Q&A where the question was already answered.

They have given us so many information already about the core concepts and stats. The only thing missing is a release date, something they don't know themself.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Fri, 25. May 18, 14:33

CBJ wrote: Yes, it is. And that's exactly why we haven't given a more precise date, or plastered it all over the place too much. We are all too familiar with what happens when we give anything more precise. Regardless of how many caveats we give about it being an estimate or aim, it's still "pitchforks at dawn" the moment that estimate turns out not to be 100% accurate! It's also why we don't commit to issuing regular updates, because as a small team we cannot be sure that we will have the time available to do so.
CBJ wrote: Really? We've done everything we are able to to change that this time around. I'm sorry if there isn't a non-stop flow of information, but we have given lots of information about the game already, and we will do so again when we have something new to tell people about.

Just chiming in to give +1 to the silent (on this topic) majority :wink:

Take as long as you need to to complete and polish the game or give us a development update. We'd rather things take longer and/or there were stretches of radio silence if it means the game will launch in a better, more complete state. If it's at all an option financially, don't be afraid to push back the estimated release if need be.

That said, I don't think anyone can reasonably argue you haven't gone above and beyond in answering community questions and letting us know where things stand.

You're doing just fine.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 25. May 18, 15:09

Tamina wrote:- Also CBJ and Lino are constantly spooking this forum answering questions
Exactly, and frankly this has to stop. Its hard enough as it is, there is no need to go about spooking people willy nilly. #nospooking

MFG

Ketraar

Return to “X4: Foundations”