New MS Win 10 big update

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

muppetts
x3tc

New MS Win 10 big update

Post by muppetts » Mon, 21. May 18, 10:34

Just a heads up, go back through settings as they have added a number of tabs you have to turn off again giving them/apps access to to a numbers of items such as browser history etc.

If you gutted Cortana, which I had, you need to go back and do it again as it has been re-installed in full.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 21. May 18, 11:52

Cortana, Siri, they all get on my nerves.

One huge irritation that causes me issues with my Macbook pro is there's a Siri button on the top right of the keyboard, As yet I can find no way to disable it, but I keep hitting the darned thing. I can turn Siri itself off, but when I hit the button, which happens a lot by mistake, I get a modal message box asking me if I want Siri back on again, with 'enable' highlighted so I have to stop what I'm doing and interact with the darned thing. :evil:

The last bit of research I read showed that very few end users were actualy interested in talking to their computers yet. It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 21. May 18, 12:07

Essentially these big updates are a new Windows install in all but name, so it doesn't surprise me things you thought were gone get re-enabled. One thing I did notice, though, is that there's now a "UK Language Pack" that you have to download and apply? I have no idea what it actually does because my system was happily using UK keyboard layout and UK dates without having that pack installed, mind you...

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Mon, 21. May 18, 13:18

language pack usually doesnt refer to the keyboard layout or date format, but how the text for Programs, Options etc. is worded. i think for UK/US its only minor differences (like color / colour for example) and its only noticeable if you look for it...
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Mon, 21. May 18, 14:07

After the big w10 update I had to answer (y/n) several questions like "do you allow Microsoft to collect data including the webpages you've visited" etc..

Moreover the Avira alert popped up several times to inform about a blocked host.

Very strange update.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 21. May 18, 16:13

The update informed me that I now have more control over my data but nothing has happened yet. I see no changes.
I guess this has something to do with the EU GDPR coming into effect at the 25th of May?

Is Britain still affected by this with the whole Brexit thing going on?

I know that Germany has some special agreements by restricting data collection even further. So there is definitely a by country-difference.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 21. May 18, 16:38

Tamina wrote: Is Britain still affected by this with the whole Brexit thing going on?
Until we actually leave the EU in 2019 we're still subject to European law--we don't get to ignore it just because we're leaving.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 21. May 18, 18:06

I thought with Windows 10 they've moved away from the old update then replace model and into a new continuous upgrade cycle. I suppose they're just using the word update for the moment while people adjust.

On the EU thing, even after we leave we'll still probably mirror a lot of the laws they adopt if they seem to be a good idea, we just won't have to, because it helps to be compatible with people you trade with, and the ones we have now will be adopted into UK law.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Mon, 21. May 18, 22:34

I think my favourite bit about this Windows update installation was it asking me whether I'd like to enable "find my device". No, Microsoft, this is a desktop, and if I lose it I have other problems.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 21. May 18, 22:55

Where's the "No, not "No," but "F%& NO" button for all these choices?

I want an "Opt Out and F You" button. I believe the most important choices one makes are the ones that are those that one finds emotionally meaningful. And, I have a lot of emotion that needs to be given some meaning, here...

A Universal "F Off" app! That'd be swell.

Of course, the most universal "F Off" apps get you put on a list, somewhere.

"Freedom ™ 2.1" is wonderful!

:/

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Tue, 22. May 18, 06:03

Do you want to give Microsoft store access to your camera, fk no!
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 22. May 18, 07:40

muppetts wrote:Do you want to give Microsoft store access to your camera, fk no!
^--- This.

Seriously thinking about giving that "app" access to my camera, hemorrhoids an' all...

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 22. May 18, 08:38

red assassin wrote:I think my favourite bit about this Windows update installation was it asking me whether I'd like to enable "find my device". No, Microsoft, this is a desktop, and if I lose it I have other problems.
- it will track the location of, say, your own personal mobile phone or a notebook..
- that's if you have registered the device appropriately..
- in certain circumstances very useful, I'd say..

Not only that, but it seems that you can turn the function off - you do have the choice..
- so it isn't tracking by stealth, or surveillance either, for that matter..
- no problemo.. :roll:

- there is a potential problem with disk clean-up apparently..
- it has been pointed out that the latest insider build (17672) will include the Downloads folder, by default
- and if you're not careful, it will expunge the entire contents..

- tread carefully with disk clean-up and ensure that you remove Downloads from any clean-up - if you wish to preserve the folder's contents..
- storing any precious downloads in another location, is one solution..
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

korio
Moderator (Español)
Moderator (Español)
x4

Post by korio » Tue, 22. May 18, 09:44

Here you have a little clip of a guy i follow, he talks about the privacy problems and telemetry collection of windows 10, also talks about how to disable it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgKJMsJ-6XU

He have a couple more vids about the same topic, in case anyone wants to check them.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 22. May 18, 19:24

korio wrote:Here you have a little clip of a guy i follow, he talks about the privacy problems and telemetry collection of windows 10, also talks about how to disable it...
A note on that - Some suggestions to disable certain telemetry possibilities will cause problems with updates and some system functions. Micro$oft isn't stupid - They've done that on purpose. So, let's say you add a hundred known Mico$oft IPs to your host files and redirect them. Grats, you may have just kept Windows from going through its update process and now your box won't work until you reset the hosts file, or you figure out which of the known IPs needs to be removed.

There's little doubt that Micro$oft will keep up with many of the latest attempts to take control over "their" software. They have the financial motivation to continue to work hard to do that whereas most apps and commentators just can't afford to keep up.

I wonder...

I wonder "if" it would be possible to start a "company" that used an Enterprise edition, managed to pay people to manage it, then had the ability to find someway to attach users to it, but without running afoul of various third-party-sales laws in such a way that these users, regular people, could still have their Win10 OS, but one that is more fully and privately managed in a reliable and safe way? No, they wouldn't get certain features. But, none of those features are worth it, anyway, considering what they could have access to that's important. You want "Candy Crush" or Bitlocker? I know my choice...

"Hire" people as contractors, then they pay a "hiring fee" like an employment agency? Produce the "product" of general aggregate-user data that absolutely doesn't do anything further than that?

Micro$oft would probably crap itself if anyone managed to do that and buses of attorneys would be on the move...

Return to “Off Topic English”