If I Was Supreme Leader I would...

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 24. May 18, 12:40

pjknibbs wrote:So, no people going straight from Oxbridge into government, or spending years as a union leader before doing the same thing: you actually have to spend ten years on a farm, or in IT, or driving a bus, or what-have-you before you can try and run the country.
I'd modify that slightly.
I'd make it that in order to gain a position within the executive branch of government (with the possible exception of the President / PM / 1st minister etc or other expressly political roles) you must have had non-political experience relevant to the post you wish to be considered for.
I.e. Health ministers that have been doctors or nurses, Home secretaries that have been prison officers or social workers, Chancellors that have worked in finance etc.

That way anyone (including the career politician Eton set) could become a lower level public representative but in order to ascend to a high office you'd need something extra.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Thu, 24. May 18, 13:48

Bishop149 wrote:But in order to ascend to a high office you'd need something extra.
Basic ability?

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 24. May 18, 17:21

Golden_Gonads wrote:
Bishop149 wrote:But in order to ascend to a high office you'd need something extra.
Basic ability?
A wad of cash and nekkid pics of the Supreme Leader... :)

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Fri, 25. May 18, 23:34

Chips wrote:Restrict mobile phones to only make/receive calls; nothing else (no internet).[...]
God please no.

Personally I think anyone who has the audacity to do long phone calls in public places should be shoot on the spot. If I am sitting in a train I don't want to hear the ****** lifestory of some asshole sitting behind me. Talking to you Mark from Lippstadt. Technology has finally reaced a point were we can text each other. Use that like any normal person would and don't scream in my ear you bloody wanker. Stupid Mark. Rant over.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 26. May 18, 00:41

clakclak wrote:
Chips wrote:Restrict mobile phones to only make/receive calls; nothing else (no internet).[...]
God please no.

Personally I think anyone who has the audacity to do long phone calls in public places should be shoot on the spot. If I am sitting in a train I don't want to hear the ****** lifestory of some asshole sitting behind me. Talking to you Mark from Lippstadt. Technology has finally reaced a point were we can text each other. Use that like any normal person would and don't scream in my ear you bloody wanker. Stupid Mark. Rant over.
Ya know..

There was a time when we couldn't do either of those things. When we needed to use a phone if we were away from home, we'd often have to use a "Phone Booth" and many of those had.. their own doors, so you always had private conversations.

I know, this was back before the invention of air. But, there's something to be said for privacy and mindfulness of one's immediate surroundings.

(Not a Luddite. Just remarking on how things change and not all old stuff was "bad." Though, new phones are great, I don't think people have learned how to be socially responsible with them.)

Yaunm
xr

Post by Yaunm » Sun, 1. Jul 18, 23:26

I have browsed through the thread and didn't see it, so here is the video that answers literally everyone's thoughts on the matter

The Rules for Rulers ( this guy makes great videos on other topics too)

Generally. Forget it.

Return to “Off Topic English”