2018 FIFA World Cup

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

How interested are you in this World Cup?

Poll ended at Thu, 12. Jul 18, 22:49

I'll be watching as many games as I can.
24%
I'll be watching the games my country plays in.
15%
I'll be following everything live online (text & clips) or on radio.
2%
I'll read reports about my team's games and the big games.
2%
I'll absorb what I see/hear, but I won't go looking for anything.
24%
I'm planning a holiday to the far side of the moon to get away from it.
32%

Total votes: 41

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 7. Jul 18, 20:52

Croatia will be the real test for England. ;-)

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Sat, 7. Jul 18, 21:24

RegisterMe wrote:One hopes that Xenon_Slayer has admin rights to all the Egosoft workstations.
Maybe everytime there's a successful X4 compilation, instead of the success sound, it plays Three Lions.

Code: Select all

<set_value name="$ItsComingHome" exact="true"/>
But, given the quality of games we've had so far, that game was a bit lacking.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 7. Jul 18, 21:56

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
RegisterMe wrote:One hopes that Xenon_Slayer has admin rights to all the Egosoft workstations.
Maybe everytime there's a successful X4 compilation, instead of the success sound, it plays Three Lions.

Code: Select all

<set_value name="$ItsComingHome" exact="true"/>
But, given the quality of games we've had so far, that game was a bit lacking.
Ermm, lol, not sure whether you're talking about football on X games ;).

EDIT: Also, as neutral, I thought it was great. Not the most skilful (how weird is the spelling of that word????) or beautiful maybe, but neither team had anything left in the tank at the end of normal time. In the main too both teams played without cynicism and with respect for the other team, which is something I appreciate and respect. It'll be interesting to see how extra time plays out.

And as, ahhemmm, a neutral, the fact that it's gone to extra time is no bad thing :).
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Sat, 7. Jul 18, 22:26

RegisterMe wrote:
Xenon_Slayer wrote: But, given the quality of games we've had so far, that game was a bit lacking.
Ermm, lol, not sure whether you're talking about football on X games ;).
Shots fired. Hull breach!

But yeah, the England - Sweden game may have been one of the most civil and respectful so far. So apparently, what I desire is injury and destruction...

<meanwhile in the Russia - Croatia game>

I'm starting to think we need an emergency sub rule. Some of these guys are on their last legs, especially the Croatian keeper.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 7. Jul 18, 22:41

Not subbing the Croatian keeper was a ballsy move, but it necessitated Croatia winning in extra time.....
I can't breathe.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 7. Jul 18, 22:52

Loved that game. Fair play, and respect, to both sides.
I can't breathe.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sat, 7. Jul 18, 22:56

Both teams outplayed themselves, without question, they all gave everything and then some. Good game, and good luck to Croatia and England, that won't be an easy play either.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sun, 8. Jul 18, 00:00

Xenon_Slayer wrote:I'm starting to think we need an emergency sub rule. Some of these guys are on their last legs, especially the Croatian keeper.
A fourth substitution is now allowed in extra time. Whilst I don't really have a problem with substitutions for injuries, I have got more frustrated over the years that the number of substitutes allowed has increased. It's less of a team game and more of a squad game when you allow three (or four) tactical substitutions.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 10. Jul 18, 08:12

I just read on the news that "Three Lions" (the song originally written for Euro '96 that has the line "Football's coming home" in it) is set to be number one in the charts this weekend... :D

Alee Enn
x4

Post by Alee Enn » Tue, 10. Jul 18, 11:24

pjknibbs wrote:I just read on the news that "Three Lions" (the song originally written for Euro '96 that has the line "Football's coming home" in it) is set to be number one in the charts this weekend... :D
Chickens are being counted .... Hatching at 0% ....

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 10. Jul 18, 12:33

If England lose to Croatia tomorrow, I wonder how quickly the people currently saying how great Southgate is will be calling for his head on a platter? Seems to be the way with football managers these days, they get sacked for almost anything bad that happens.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 10. Jul 18, 20:11

within the first five minutes, the commentator reports that De Bruyne has sharp feet..

- fantastic, unbelievable, etc.. etc..
- eh? :lol:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 10. Jul 18, 22:54

pjknibbs wrote:I just read on the news that "Three Lions" (the song originally written for Euro '96 that has the line "Football's coming home" in it) is set to be number one in the charts this weekend... :D
How to make anyone who remembers it feel old. . . .

"30 years of hurt" is now "52 years of hurt"
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

apogee
x3tc

Post by apogee » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 12:23

Whatever England do tonight, or if they get to the final, the've over achieved and we should be proud of how far they've got. (if you are an England supporter that is)

I just hope if we do win tonight, we don't start digging up "Agincourt" and half of Shakespears Henry V before the final, as it's far to cheesy.

"Cry God for Harry, England and St George" etc etc (notice it's got "harry in it" the BBC won't be able to resist). Though its on ITV, can they resist?

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 12:35

apogee wrote:Whatever England do tonight, or if they get to the final, the've over achieved and we should be proud of how far they've got. (if you are an England supporter that is)

I just hope if we do win tonight, we don't start digging up "Agincourt" and half of Shakespears Henry V before the final, as it's far to cheesy.

"Cry God for Harry, England and St George" etc etc (notice it's got "harry in it" the BBC won't be able to resist). Though its on ITV, can they resist?
Well said, good point, and no, they won't be able to resist. So just to save everybody the effort here's the best version :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHia1zu_YNI
I can't breathe.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 13:16

apogee wrote:Whatever England do tonight, or if they get to the final, the've over achieved and we should be proud of how far they've got. (if you are an England supporter that is)
I was speaking to a real footy fan at work, and his attitude is "we have had a fairly simple route to the semis.... jury still out for me" when talking about Gareth Southgate's performance. So no, there are people who aren't proud of how far we've got. Find it a ludicrous attitude myself, but there you go.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 21:53

the Croatian equalizer was a stunner of a goal..

- egads, it's going to extra time.. :o :o
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 21:54

This cup of extra times though...

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 22:26

2-1 down with 12 minutes to go, not a good position to be in for England...

[EDIT] They think it's all over...and it is now. England out in the semis.

[FFCW]Urizen
x4

Post by [FFCW]Urizen » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 22:39

Well played Croatia. Now beat France!
Insanity is just another form of brilliance!

Return to “Off Topic English”