Prospective lodgers / a question for you lot (particularly younguns in the UK)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 16. Jun 18, 17:41

I don't mind if people don't turn up, I do mind if they've arranged a time with me, failed to turn up, and not called / texted / emailed. That's inconsiderate and wastes my time.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Sun, 17. Jun 18, 14:12

We have had similar behavior from tradesmen recently.

We contact them with potential work, they come round have a look and promise a quote and then. . . . . . nothing.

It's infuriating, we have been trying to get 3 quotes each for 2 jobs, we have thus far had about 6 tradesman call for each job and thus far have 1 quote for one and 2 for the other.
Its ridiculous, a waste of time for both parties, why bother to come if you clearly have so much work you can afford to run your business with such laxity.

Its no trivial amount of money either, 3 weeks after a visit and after our chasing them up escalating to the point of daily phone calls they had the nerve to quote for £24,000. I mean, wut?
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Rug
x4

Post by Rug » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 10:12

@Bishop149

That's typical tradesman approach. Don't want (or need) the job, so throw out a silly quote. Don't care if they don't get the work, buy a nice toy if they do ...

But yes, it's a pain.

(And then you get into mind games. This contractor is available to start now - so does that mean he has no work because he's rubbish ?)

Good luck with it !

Rug
I like to think everyone just wants to feel human.

(Antilogic)

jack775544
x4

Post by jack775544 » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 10:20

It remands me of the last time I applied for a job, I probably put out a dozen applications and only had 2 people respond to me, one with a rejection, the other the was an offer for an interview for my current workplace.
Sadly no responses are common these days, from both sides of the yard.
1940s - Various "computers" are "programmed" using direct wiring and switches. Engineers do this in order to avoid the tabs vs spaces debate.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 10:41

jack775544 wrote:It remands me of the last time I applied for a job, I probably put out a dozen applications and only had 2 people respond to me, one with a rejection, the other the was an offer for an interview for my current workplace.
Sadly no responses are common these days, from both sides of the yard.
I hate that, but yes a rejection from a job application these days most often takes the form of no response whatsoever. I mean how hard is it to fire off a mail merged email to simply say "Sorry to inform you your application was unsuccessful".
Least they could do, it just a lack of base level politeness IMO.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 20:45

It's not the same as not hearing back from a job though, is it?

It's more akin to having interviews arranged and not turning up! YOU are after something (job, apartment), and yet you don't turn up to the scheduled opportunity.

Someone else could have taken that slot. You're being a .... for behaving that way, as well as being disrespectful to the parties you were supposed to meet.

Return to “Off Topic English”