Random crazy idea -- being able to do OOS stuff on mobile

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Simpelton

Random crazy idea -- being able to do OOS stuff on mobile

Post by Simpelton » Tue, 26. Jun 18, 20:50

This is just here as a total wild pie in the sky concept, but i think it would add something to the game if there was a way to handle OOS stuff on mobile

There's a few situations in X3 where it pays to just keep the system running while you do other stuff. I'm thinking in particular about the Xenon Hub fetch quest missions which are about grinding a lot of stuff, which you can either run other plots during or just afk grind.

So you decide to afk grind some money, or do a plot that involves a massive fetch quest that you can set up and leave running for a few hours, turn the game on and then go to work, you can get your messages and check the OOS stuff like managing traders or miners, patrolling sectors, etc, or issue orders as needed.

This would obviously work better in a game that was always online, but I do think it would be a neat feature if there was a command and control app that could be synched with the game.

Anyway, just a weird concept that came to mind when I was thinking about the AFK grind I'm doing right now in X3. There are some games that would benefit from synching part of their UI with mobile, and it might work well in the X universe.

Please feel free to share any thoughts, laughs, and rotten tomatoes.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 26. Jun 18, 21:00

My immediate gut response would be 'Why would I want to play a game in some form of reduced state at a time when real life says that I can't (or shouldn't) be playing the game properly?'

BTW. I never do afk and/or SETA grinding and so maybe I am a bad example to reply to this. I have always found enough real engagement gameplay enjoyable enough to keep me usefully occupied in the X games so far. For example, the quoted hub plot missions were something that I always did in parallel with other gameplay and not instead of.

Just my opinion and not knocking the OP in any way. :wink:
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Wed, 27. Jun 18, 03:26

I'm with Alan on this. I don't see a specific need for it personally.

Also maybe we should wait until we know specifically how the universe will work before we assume that X3 gameplay simply fits right in with X4 in the same manner, requiring the same "grinding".
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Wed, 27. Jun 18, 15:24

There have been times when I'm playing an X game, and find I've been managing ships via menus and maps for 10, 20, or more minuets. Usually my ships is either on autopilot, or "parked" at a station or just idle in space.

It's times like these that I sort of wish that I could use my second monitor to just keep track of things, or issue commands while still being "active" in my own ship.

So, I could see a mobile app that allows that sort of menu management, similar to the Fallout 4 Pipboy app that lets you have your map, quest journal, settlement stats, etc, up on your phone, while you can still be active in the game.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 27. Jun 18, 16:12

Downtime is less of an issue in XR then in previous X games, maybe except for XBTF as you were required to be on site for most interactions iirc.
Still if the game has these I'd rather the game design be adjusted to provide alternatives within the game then a possibility to remote-play it.

I think with teleportation this will be less of an issue (speculating here). I can, say, send a ship to go to a place far away, teleport to a miner and do some manual mining in the meantime and then teleport back when the ship has arrived. Again, speculation on my part, but this would be a way to create option for player to not have to sit idle waiting for the game to create stuff to do.

In any case I would not like to play a game "on the side", either I'm in the game or I'm not.

MFG

Ketraar

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 27. Jun 18, 17:09

I must say that one thing X-Rebirth did right is to provide me with enough interesting stuff and removed enough "grindy" stuff that I didn't need to abuse SETA (albeit I still welcomed reintroduction of SETA in one of patches).

I hope that X4 will be similar - SETA existing from the start, but only convinient option, not a necessity).

...also mobile gaming is a cancer - we got loot boxes, timewalls and paywalls from them - do not polute X-game with this trash.

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Thu, 28. Jun 18, 14:52

Euro Truck Simulator 2 has a telemetry API that allows you to use a web browser as an additional game interface. With this, you can prop your phone up near your monitor as a console readout. It's very cool.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

Dreez
x4

Post by Dreez » Sat, 30. Jun 18, 15:39

no.. just no.

More work for the devs.. we don't need this.

And if you're so addicted to a game that you need to "play" it even on your cellphone, you got issues.
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Assailer
x4

Post by Assailer » Sat, 30. Jun 18, 18:09

Actually, if there would be dedicated server for the galaxy that would be awesome :)

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Mon, 2. Jul 18, 12:37

Not saying that I actually want this.... but as they use a lot of XML they could have a Web Service API published as a WSDL. So if you have a client on your phone...

Then while your having quality time with your partner / family, you could using the WI-FI query things like your current balance, ships under attack and station profits / losses.

With a lot more work it should be possible to do manual trading at a distance... say your armchair or bed.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Clownmug
x4

Post by Clownmug » Mon, 2. Jul 18, 15:56

It's doubtful that feature like this would ever happen, but using the Steam Link app could be a possible alternative.

PowerPC603
xr

Post by PowerPC603 » Wed, 4. Jul 18, 15:54

And what happens if you get a message that some ship is under attack?
With this limited functionality, you can't even take control of the ship under attack and it will die.
Your phone won't be able to even process the graphics to take over.

You can't run one part of the game (the OOS managing) without the other (taking over when needed and play properly like intended).

Also, you would need to setup a remote link to your home computer and port forward to connect to your game.
Also, your pc has to be on and the game must be running.
The savegame file is also stored on your pc and not somewhere on a server.

And it would mean Egosoft needs to implement some sort of networking features to be able to send data to another device except the pc it's running on.
With such little advantage, I bet it won't happen.
GamePC: 64bit Quad-core i5-3450 @ 3.1GHz, 12GB RAM, nVidia GeForce RTX2070 8GB, 22" LG Full-HD LED-monitor, Windows 7 Home 64bit

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Thu, 5. Jul 18, 15:47

This just seems like something that would be more useful in an online game or MMO. Not an offline single player game.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Tue, 17. Jul 18, 23:04

Brianetta wrote:Euro Truck Simulator 2 has a telemetry API that allows you to use a web browser as an additional game interface. With this, you can prop your phone up near your monitor as a console readout. It's very cool.
I support this idea.

They have (or had, not sure anymore) something similar for the WWII wargame Heroes & Generals. There was a commander aspect of the game, where you could move your forces against other players on an RTS world map. It could be done in your game client, OR in a separate mobile app.

And although it seemed like a good idea, the bad coding of the app made it almost impossible to control it.

The question is, is it possible at all to pull this off. And if possible, does it worth the time, energy, and money invested into it? I remember these older keyboards back in the X3 Reunion days with that display which could show you the state of your ship, and while it was cool to have, it didn't serve much purpose in the long run.

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Sat, 28. Jul 18, 04:10

Options options options....

Already spent tens of thousands of hours with X games....
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sat, 28. Jul 18, 06:09

Could do with a SETA but not accelerator but arrester .... surely if the ability exists to speed up time then the opposite must be possible...get all the paperwork done.. :)

Drakuel
x4

Re:

Post by Drakuel » Sun, 21. Oct 18, 17:35

Ketraar wrote:
Wed, 27. Jun 18, 16:12
Downtime is less of an issue in XR then in previous X games, maybe except for XBTF as you were required to be on site for most interactions iirc.
Still if the game has these I'd rather the game design be adjusted to provide alternatives within the game then a possibility to remote-play it.

I think with teleportation this will be less of an issue (speculating here). I can, say, send a ship to go to a place far away, teleport to a miner and do some manual mining in the meantime and then teleport back when the ship has arrived. Again, speculation on my part, but this would be a way to create option for player to not have to sit idle waiting for the game to create stuff to do.

In any case I would not like to play a game "on the side", either I'm in the game or I'm not.

MFG

Ketraar
I agree to a point.. I dont think remote play is fitting for this game.. However, I do see massive value in remote messaging and notifications from AI autopilots..

Having your in game staff notify my phone that task is complete would be handy, many times I get it to do some life tasks, while I wait for a long dock or delivery..

Just playing X3 right now and, I was cooking breakfast for wife, I had a long trade haul so I set my autopilot, and continued my breakfast, would be nice if I got status messages, like it was docked, or under attack or I arrived at sector..

Alci
x4

Re: Re:

Post by Alci » Mon, 22. Oct 18, 02:16

Drakuel wrote:
Sun, 21. Oct 18, 17:35
Just playing X3 right now and, I was cooking breakfast for wife, I had a long trade haul so I set my autopilot, and continued my breakfast, would be nice if I got status messages, like it was docked, or under attack or I arrived at sector..
you know what you need? Simple wireless headphones/handsfree to hear the running game :) with a mod there should not be a thing that couldn't be done

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Re: Random crazy idea -- being able to do OOS stuff on mobile

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Mon, 22. Oct 18, 11:28

*BUZZ BUZZ*

*takes out phone*

Betty: ONE OF YOUR SHIPS IS UNDER ATTACK IN XENON SECTOR 141.

No thanks. I never got the appeal of taking my eyes off of my PC game to play another function of the same game on my phone, then go back to my PC. It's an interesting gimmick, but ultimately inefficient.
The Teladi are known for creating a standardized currency, ship insurance, and insurance fraud.

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Re: Random crazy idea -- being able to do OOS stuff on mobile

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Mon, 22. Oct 18, 16:24

I had a thought some time ago about an X4 API (or some other variety of software interface) that would let external programs both detect and trigger events in-game. This is one of the more attractive possibilities that such an interface would allow - some kind of in-browser or otherwise separate-device interface for issuing commands and viewing some kind of sector map, using some kind of lightweight server with vision and control over the X4 game state. ^^

I guarantee this would be the domain of modders if it were ever a thing at all, but it would be up to Ego to provide (and document, ideally :P) the interface.
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Return to “X4: Foundations”