80s Music Thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

notaterran
x3tc

80s Music Thread

Post by notaterran » Wed, 4. Jul 18, 09:51

Kung Fury, Rock of Ages, It, Stranger Things, Cobra Kai... the 80s revival/nostalgia is lasting longer than the 80s did.

Perhaps you might remember Italo-disco, Freestyle, New Wave or Pop Rock. Or maybe you might like something stronger like Punk, Thrash or Grind. Or how about some Underground Rock? And if at times it reminds you of "Blood and Roses", then you are probably right.

Then you have songs that have a strong 80s influence like this one (it's easy to imagine Kylie Minogue singing it) or this one (very U2, especially the chorus).

And here you have some more 80s... stuff (:o is a completely acceptable response):

Justin Bieber - Baby

Dua Lipa - New Rules

Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know

Lana del Rey - Summertime Sadness

Ariana Grande - Into You
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Wed, 4. Jul 18, 10:24

Punk really got going in '73 and broke the mainstream in '76 with,

The Sex Pistols - Anarchy In The UK

It was packaged and flogged by the majors by 79', so by the 80's I would say punk had run it's course.

I would not put punk as an 80's sound.

As for Nirvana, look to Killing Joke for their sound.

Pushing at the walls.
Einstürzende Neubauten - Kollaps
Test Dept. - Unacceptable Face of Freedom
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: 80s Music Thread

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 4. Jul 18, 11:04

notaterran wrote:Kung Fury, Rock of Ages, It, Stranger Things, Cobra Kai... the 80s revival/nostalgia is ....
I remember most of the 80s and I never heard any of this stuffs. That was through the end of high-school and into the college scene, where all the top stuff makes its first appearance in the back of bars and dives nobody hears of, anymore.

Bieber? 80's?

[ external image ]

The closest anyone ever came to Bieber in the 80's was "Frankie goes to Hollywood."

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Wed, 4. Jul 18, 11:05

I grew up listening to 80s stuff so, while I appreciate 70s Punk, it was not a sound that appealed much to me back in the day. You could say the same about Metal: Sabbath, Judas and others were already making (great) metal in the 70s, but they didn't sound anything like Ride The Lightning. For me, few songs illustrate the transition as well as Heaven And Hell: at 2:17 there's a distinct 70s flavor, which is completely absent in later stuff like Headless Cross (the synths will forever anchor it to the 80s, though).

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 4. Jul 18, 11:13

Some more 2000s/2010s electronica with a strong 80s influence:

Chvrches - Recover
La Roux - In for the Kill
Emika - Battles
M83 - Midnight City
Tei Shi - Bassically

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Wed, 4. Jul 18, 11:18

Morkonan wrote: Bieber? 80's?
I think he nailed the sound, he was obviously inspired in part by stuff like Almost Paradise.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Wed, 4. Jul 18, 11:19

Yes, but also, this.

And this.
Spoiler
Show
The Chicken Song and Star Trekkin'
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 4. Jul 18, 11:23

Everybody has their own time.

But, the same sounds coming out in a good bit of established genres had been around since the 70's.

Then, "New Wave" hit an' everyone went crazy. Punkpop, college rock stuff, and then REM and U2 pushed out of Athens and lit stuff on fire. (Saw them in Athens, just before they broke out like crazy.)

But, back in the dorms, crazier stuff was happening. Some guy named "Prince" broke into college music playlists and started killing it.

All my old favorites were still around and playing. ALL the Heavy Metal I could want and plenty of punkish rock stuff that was playing in the bars and parties.

The late 80's, early nineties, ended up with a thrash-punk thing going on, taking on the appeal of the "Hair Bands" that didn't quite make it through the 80s, but with more substance to their music.

I was never "edgy." Just riding along like the rest of the college crowd, going where the girls were, listening to what they listened to, and hadbanging my way through school when nobody was watching. :)

Ps - I won't listen to Bieber, just on general principle... Won't even click. I already made my sacrifice - I had to take girls to concerts I never wanted to go to... Dang, was trying to remember one of the worst, but can't remember that guy's name. :/ Oh well, kinda glad. :)
Last edited by Morkonan on Wed, 4. Jul 18, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Wed, 4. Jul 18, 11:28

CBJ wrote:Some more 2000s/2010s electronica with a strong 80s influence:

Chvrches - Recover
La Roux - In for the Kill
Emika - Battles
M83 - Midnight City
Tei Shi - Bassically
Thanks, I particularly liked Tei Shi.

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Wed, 4. Jul 18, 11:42

Morkonan wrote:Ps - I won't listen to Bieber, just on general principle... Won't even click. I already made my sacrifice - I had to take girls to concerts I never wanted to go to... Dang, was trying to remember one of the worst, but can't remember that guy's name. :/ Oh well, kinda glad. :)
The original Bieber song was rather bare-bones but this version puts more substance on it, which is why it's part of an 80s thread :). I'm not kidding, this could've been an 80s prom song back in the day - it even has a sax solo (as the kids say nowadays, "it sounds legit"). The picture alone is worth clicking.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Wed, 4. Jul 18, 11:49

A sound copied by many.

Depeche Mode - New Life

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Wed, 4. Jul 18, 11:52

This is the picture of the 80s "Baby" version that I linked to, and the song really sounds like it was made 30 years ago.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Wed, 4. Jul 18, 11:56

The E-mu Emulator arrives.

Depeche Mode - Everything Counts

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Wed, 4. Jul 18, 12:42

The Night Flight Orchestra - my favourite of the 80s revival rock bands. Pick your favourite bit of the 80s and they've probably got some songs that sound like it. Toto? REO Speedwagon? etc.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 4. Jul 18, 13:30

notaterran wrote: Then you have songs that have a strong 80s influence like this one (it's easy to imagine Kylie Minogue singing it)
Bah! She didn't start her singing career until 1987, and that was long after all the good stuff had finished :wink:. These are *proper* 80s songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UHXEQSXaZ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD-GGUIsXSs

(I could keep going, but you get the idea by now...).

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Wed, 4. Jul 18, 13:55

Not sure about revival, my fave ('80s) band are still going: They Might Be Giants (and I mean properly still going, not, 'they've just reformed' for a cash-in*).

Coming out of the 1980's New York Alt scene, they've been big but never massive. They've moved with the times, releasing the first full download-only album and updating their dial-a-song from an old answerphone tape machine to mobile App (via YouTube etc.). They've won Grammys for their work in TV and developed a sideline in albums for kids. All the while, they've continued to release studio albums and to tour the world (mostly the US, but occasionally the world).

I honestly don't know how unusual it is for a band to keep going for so long (35 years and counting) without making it big or giving it up; I don't follow music closely enough to see. I expect they're quite unusual in that respect.

* 'The Band' was originally just John Flansburgh and John Linnel, over the years other band members have joined and moved on but it's still TMBG as long as the two Johns are still involved.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Wed, 4. Jul 18, 14:50

The track that was so hard to escape i the early 80's.
New Order - Blue Monday

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Wed, 4. Jul 18, 15:18

Hmm ... the 80s ... so long ago :-)

Was still Zappa time and still some Pink Floyd left although the "good stuff" had already passed. Uh, there's also some Bob Marley in the 80s ... close call though.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 4. Jul 18, 17:54

Aqua - Back to the '80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-EUDBV6Kmo

I think the beginning of the 80s was different than the end of the 80s. There was lots of hard rock groups and pop songs.

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Wed, 4. Jul 18, 20:45

Terre wrote:The track that was so hard to escape i the early 80's.
New Order - Blue Monday
Yep.

Return to “Off Topic English”