2018 FIFA World Cup

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

How interested are you in this World Cup?

Poll ended at Thu, 12. Jul 18, 22:49

I'll be watching as many games as I can.
24%
I'll be watching the games my country plays in.
15%
I'll be following everything live online (text & clips) or on radio.
2%
I'll read reports about my team's games and the big games.
2%
I'll absorb what I see/hear, but I won't go looking for anything.
24%
I'm planning a holiday to the far side of the moon to get away from it.
32%

Total votes: 41

Rapier
x3tc

2018 FIFA World Cup

Post by Rapier » Tue, 12. Jun 18, 22:49

The tournament starts in 2 days time and I am, rather unusually, not that bothered. I've never been a mad football fanatic, but I've always watched the big tournaments and supported my country (England). This time though, I'm much less interested, and I'm not really planning to watch even England's games. I'll follow what's going on on t'internet and would probably start to watch England if we progress later into the tournament.

I can't put my finger on the lack of interest, but I have a few theories:
  • The Hosts: I'm really not a fan of Putin and the way the Russian leaders treat their people - whilst the tournament is probably good for the people in the short term, I feel uneasy that it will be used for political capital and do more harm than good in the long run.
  • Too much football: It never seems to stop and this in part has just pushed me away from caring about it generally.
  • Social circles: I have a few friends that will be into it, but most of my work colleagues and other friends will be following rather than watching the tournament.
  • Other sports: The cricket and cycling seasons are in full swing. I'm pretty sure I'll watch more cycling than football over the coming weeks (even though the Tour de France has been put back a week because of the WC).
  • Soap opera: It doesn't seem real anymore; every story or article seems to drive a narrative that is more creating a story to sell clicks rather than reporting what's happened.
  • FIFA: FIFA have had their problems over the past four years, and I don't think I respect the organisation anywhere near as much as I once did.
Feel free to use this thread to talk about the tournament, but I'm also interested to know what people think about the tournament generally, particularly if you're feeling differently about it than you have past tournaments.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 13. Jun 18, 00:13

Wassa "World Cup?"

Can't we afford more than one? Do thirsty teams of players battle over it in some kind of "game" or something?

I've heard of the "Stanley Cup," but that's Stan's, so it's not as ambiguous as a "World Cup."

:)

(Yes, I know what it is, for realz... I will passively absorb information regarding it as I encounter it. Don't ask me to remember any of it, though.)

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Wed, 13. Jun 18, 08:56

Will watch as many games as I can. If you can't beat them, join them.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Wed, 13. Jun 18, 09:07

I think England should have refused to play in Russia but hey Boris said we are taking a tough stance as he won't be going, epic tough!
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 13. Jun 18, 09:35

Don't want to really talk about all the obvious political/moral stuffs now ... because to be honest, as bad as this one is it's 'only' in Russia. Given the next one will be in Qatar, kinda make anything we gonna say now ... kinda moot.

Always surprise to see there isn't a lot traction for football on this forum though, seeing how it's European dominant.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 13. Jun 18, 11:10

The option I would pick isn't there, although the OP hints at it.

"I will watch only games that are the focus of a social function"

I guess the closest is "I'll absorb. . . " so I went with that.
My sole interest in football is in how a match can be something around which a decent party can form.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

berth
x4

Post by berth » Wed, 13. Jun 18, 13:53

Zero interest from me, so I'm off to the moon :lol:

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Wed, 13. Jun 18, 14:05

I'll watch every single game.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Wed, 13. Jun 18, 17:38

I'll hear it all from my colleagues and friends... despite myself. XD
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 13. Jun 18, 18:09

Work has a sweepstake, pay for entry, pull a team out of hat, winner takes the pool etc.

I got Australia.
I don't fancy my chances.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 13. Jun 18, 18:30

I'll be watching my country's games for sure and many that are on at times where I'm at a table and it happens to be on. Will read online everything else and watch highlights as they are available on youtube/online.

I'm not a football fanatic, but the national team has a special place as it was one of the few things we got "from home" as an immigrant, thus this attachment. I will root for the obvious choice, meaning the European Champions and given that Spain just borked their life by firing their coach 2 days before debut, our chances just went up. Being in the imho most difficult group will constitute a challenge though.

MFG

Ketraar

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 13. Jun 18, 18:32

I am going to watch the finals only. Sadly not available as an answer possibility.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 13. Jun 18, 18:37

I'll most-likely watch the games my country plays in, which are not broadcasted on a normal workday (Monday through Friday) at a time I'm likely still at work. And I'll certainly follow the news around it. I may even watch some matches of other teams.
While I cannot say that I'm that excited this time, I'll probably watch the games with some friends, which is usually a lot of fun.

As for news around the world cup, just today Spain fired their coach Lopetegui, as he'll become the new coach of Real Madrid next season but hasn't told the Spanish football federation about his negotiations with Real Madrid upfront. Dismissing the head coach two days before the first match takes place seems to be a classical case of 'if you have no problems, make yourself some'.

Edit: typo.
Last edited by X2-Illuminatus on Wed, 13. Jun 18, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Wed, 13. Jun 18, 19:00

Bishop149 wrote:Work has a sweepstake, pay for entry, pull a team out of hat, winner takes the pool etc.

I got Australia.
I don't fancy my chances.
I don't usually join in the work sweepstake (on whatever the flavour of the month is), but I had my arm thoroughly twisted today - I picked Brazil :D

I was surprised to see Spain sack their manager, but in the circumstances I don't think they had much choice. Apparently he did something similar once before between clubs.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 13. Jun 18, 20:59

There was an email at my uni about some sort of world cup sweepstake thingy, guess this is what it was about then.

Didn't actually read it. Was wondering why it was sent.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 13. Jun 18, 21:11

Rapier wrote: I was surprised to see Spain sack their manager, but in the circumstances I don't think they had much choice. Apparently he did something similar once before between clubs.
Yeah, wake up this morning seeing it ...

Gotta say though, Real Madrid has a knack for drama during the best moment. Making history by winning the CL 3 times in a row, then in the same post match interview the Man of the match (Bale) threaten to leave, the #1 player and captain (Ronaldo) drop vague hint he might not be around next season. 3 days later the very manager who led the team to those 3 CL honor announced he's resigning citing it's impossible for him to work the team to victory next season ...

Now this, shock the world by announcing the current Spain's manager as their next club's manager 4 days before the world cup, and thus get him fired 2 days later. Hot damn, this club can go to Broadway and open their own franchise.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 14. Jun 18, 18:22

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/06/14/f ... al-attack/

Oh FFS . . . . already?
The thing has barely even started yet

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Thu, 14. Jun 18, 18:58

Bishop149 wrote:https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/06/14/f ... al-attack/

Oh FFS . . . . already?
The thing has barely even started yet
Yeah. This is why I'm boycotting this one. And the next one, for that matter.

Maybe FIFA could get bribed by countries with human rights records slightly better then horrific.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 14. Jun 18, 21:05

Antilogic wrote:[....]

Maybe FIFA could get bribed by countries with human rights records slightly better then horrific.
If it makes you happy.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 21:58

What a game. Spain and Portugal both looked super strong.

Return to “Off Topic English”