The Return of the Return of Usenko's Star Trek Adventure Game (TM)!

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Usenko
x3

The Return of the Return of Usenko's Star Trek Adventure Game (TM)!

Post by Usenko » Sat, 14. Jul 18, 15:20

For those who haven't seen this come up before, a bit of background:

I am the GM of a partly self-designed RPG for a group of friends set in the Star Trek: The Next Generation universe. There was once a commercial RPG made of that, but it failed and production ceased before Season 1 was complete. Therefore I created a new game powered by the FATE role playing system (if you've never heard of this, look it up, it's pretty great!)[1].

Over the last few years I have created modules with the help of members of this forum. In practice this has mostly been Morkonan (and if you're reading this, Mork ol' buddy, your assistance would greatly be appreciated! :) ). However, ANYONE is welcome to contribute! I will credit ideas that I wind up using (even in a modified form).

In a little while I will be running episode 3 of this game. It is a few months off yet, but I'd really like to have this module thoroughly designed well in advance (for once in my blinkin' life! :) ).

The basics:

Episode 3: The games are afoot.

The crew of the good ship Tamworth are ordered to the Klingon Homeworld to participate in a sort of Space Olympics. The ultimate event - the one in which the Tamworth is set to participate - is a Starship Sprint, specifically set up for ships of its era (the Tamworth is nearly a century old, an early-model Oberth-class Science Ship).

Obviously the games won't run smoothly. There will be thrills and spills a plenty.

Nearly a year ago, Morkonan and I were throwing around ideas, and we had a LOT - see this thread for details.

But now it is time to turn this into actual playable games.

Resources: I have the following miniatures and equipment.

* Individual miniatures of the crew members.
* Miniatures of a mind-boggling array of starships (laser-cut pieces, and when I created them I wanted to ensure I had a large array of options, so I have created Klingon, Ferengi, Cardassian, Borg and Romulan ships of several types).
* A map board with pens, which is dual sided (squares on one side for away team action, hexes on the other for starships).
* FATE dice.

I intend to get:
* Klingon miniatures.
* Anything else that is needed for the game. :)

Our RPG group allows each GM six sessions to play their game. Some of the guys cheerfully run aeons-long campaigns, feeling no need to bring each part to a close at the end; personally I prefer to run my six sessions as one six-part "episode" in the style of TNG, with the sessions finishing with "Commercial break."

Additional requirements: My last two episodes have been fairly dramatic (the most recent one involved the horrendous death of an important player character[2]), so I would really like this one to be mostly light-hearted and fun.

As well as this, I have the idea of running a "game within a game" at the end of each session, perhaps involving heats, semi-finals and finals of the race that the Tamworth is participating in, or possibly other Space-lympic[3] events. These games should be genuine - no cheating, no mucking around, the Player Characters CAN lose, and if they do so it affects the rest of the campaign.

Okay, so over to you. My objective is to create a synopsis for 6 sessions - an introduction (possibly including a teaser), 4 main acts and a conclusion. What should go in them?

[1] Since I created this, a new STTNG RPG has been released. It looks pretty good, but I'm sticking with my own system (though I might buy sourcebooks and plunder them for ideas).

[2] The player-character in question was the ship's Chief Medical Officer, who is actually played by myself, and occasionally used as a GM Avatar when the situation demands it. This was for two reasons: 1) To heighten drama; the PCs knew that their characters weren't invulnerable; and 2) because when I was painting the PC figures, I couldn't find another male model to paint as the CMO, so I decided to kill him off and replace him with a female character so that I didn't have to buy another figure! :)

[3] For a start, can anyone think of a really good name for an Olympics-like event set in the Star Trek universe and involving the major races like the Klingons and Romulans?
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 14. Jul 18, 16:40

Have whoever the bad guys are in that era (eg Cardassians?) be "drug cheats", or whatever the equivalent is for a space ship. Have the players discover this, and present them with a dilemma about whether to let it slide in the interests of galactic harmony, or to reveal it / prosecute it to maintain the integrity of the games, at the risk of a major diplomatic incident.

So yes, lots of cheating!
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 14. Jul 18, 17:28

I wouldn't really call a starship race an Olympics-like event--it's hardly testing the extremes of physical exertion, it's testing how well an engineer 100 years ago built your impulse engines! It sounds more like a Goodwood Festival of Speed type thing.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 14. Jul 18, 17:37

Doping your dilithium crystals is really not cricket.
I can't breathe.

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: The Return of the Return of Usenko's Star Trek Adventure Game (TM)!

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 14. Jul 18, 21:16

Usenko wrote:...[3] For a start, can anyone think of a really good name for an Olympics-like event set in the Star Trek universe and involving the major races like the Klingons and Romulans?
The "Nimbus" something-or-other?

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Nimbus_III

I assume it'd be some name that would be inspiring for everyone concerned. But, dealing with Klingons and Romulans, at the same time, and trying to figure out something that would inspire everyone... That's difficult.

Vulcans would vote for "The Logic Circuit Marathon."
Klingons would vote for "Coughing Up Blood and Guts for the Glory of the Empire Trial."
Romulans would vote for "The Shooting People in the Back with a Plasma Weapon for Political Power Exercise."

Heck, you could have a whole series of political intrigue and covert lobbying based on what to name the event, itself. :)

"Captain, the Federation Council orders you to convince the Romulan ambassador to the Games to vote for calling the race the "Fun and Joy Khitomer Dash for Hugs and Peace." Use whatever means at your disposal to accomplish your mission, especially if it involves tribbles."

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sun, 15. Jul 18, 09:41

Can they beat the galactic record of 14 parsecs for the Kessel run?

(I'll get me coat)

Edit: See below
Last edited by Rapier on Sun, 15. Jul 18, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 15. Jul 18, 11:33

Rapier wrote:Can they beat the galactic record of 4 parsecs for the Kessel run?

(I'll get me coat)
So you *should* get your coat, everyone knows that the record for the Kessel run is 12 parsecs, not 4... :wink:

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 15. Jul 18, 13:34

pjknibbs wrote:

(I'll get me coat)
So you *should* get your coat, everyone knows that the record for the Kessel run is 12 parsecs, not 4... :wink:
Gandalf is my favorite character in "Harry Potter."

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sun, 15. Jul 18, 17:35

pjknibbs wrote:

(I'll get me coat)
Damn typo ruining the joke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDP2nW-sSAA
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Mon, 16. Jul 18, 07:06

Okay! Good to see a lot of people putting their 2c in!

A few clarifications:

* I said that the Tamworth would be involved in the "Ultimate event." I should make it clear that I mean "Ultimate event" from the perspective of the crew. For the spectators and the other personnel involved in other events, it's actually a pretty minor one; Think perhaps similar status to air pistol, rhythmic gymnastics or synchronised diving. :)

* The Olympics still happen on Earth. This set of games does not replace them; it is a specific set of events for starships and their crews. Just like the Decathlon in the Olympics represents the skills necessary for an agent marooned in enemy territory, so too the events of the SpaceLympics reflect the needs of Star Fleets[1] and their crews. What events are those? Well, I know already that there will be an impulse sprint, which will be in multiple categories, one of which is "Scoutship" - Since the Scoutship class is all but obsolete now[2], it is almost a requirement that the ship would have been built a century beforehand. But any other events? Not sure! See below . . .

* Morkonan previously noted that cheating should be a factor of this game. I was thinking of combining this with RegisterMe's suggestion relating to drugs in the Modern Olympics - it would be very much in the spirit of Star Trek to address current issues.

With all that out of the way, here is a skeleton for the game:

Session 1: Introduction.

Session 2:

Session 3:

Session 4:

Session 5:

Session 6: The big race!

Also, here is the list of events in the SpaceLympics (name still TBA). Events with a star next to them are going to be seen in the game; others may be referenced or we may even somehow see others participating in them.

- Starship Impulse Sprint; classes Scoutship, Frigate, Cruiser, Dreadnaught.

- Starship Warp Race; classes Frigate, Cruiser, Dreadnaught (no Scoutship category).

A final thought:

The Player Characters are as follows:

* Captain
* First Officer/Chief Engineer[3]
* Chief Science Officer
* Conn officer
* Ops officer
* Chief of Security/Chief Tactical Officer
* Chief Medical Officer[4]

It would be ideal if during the race, I could find something for ALL the members of the Bridge Crew to do, making it a frenetic experience for all.

Also, it might be possible for the members of the crew to each participate in a specific event over the six sessions; each one becomes the "hero" for half a session. Any ideas?

[1] Generic term. As opposed to Starfleet. ;)

[2] In the universe of the game, the Romulans have now decommissioned all their scout ships (since the destruction of their homeworlds they have difficulty finding enough skilled people to crew even their larger ships), the Ferengi have always built ships large enough to carry significant amounts of trade goods, the Cardassians and Bajorans have different tactical philosophies and the Borg are, well, the Borg. The Dominion have scoutships, but so far nobody has had the courage to invite them to participate in the Games. So the only participants in this event, by practice and tradition, are the Federation and the Klingons.

[3] Doubling of position made necessary by the number of Players!

[4] Not a player character as such, just the GM Avatar.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 16. Jul 18, 07:23

Could there be room for a Counsellor role as well as or instead of one of the [3] dupe positions if you end up going down a diplo / scandal / investigation route?
I can't breathe.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Mon, 16. Jul 18, 07:40

There is currently no PC counsellor (the position was available, but none of my PCs found it an interesting role). If a counsellor is required, I can either use the CMO (If the counsellor needs to be there at the end of the adventure) or create an NPC for the job (if the counsellor needs to be disposable. :) ).

If it becomes an investigation, there's a lot of joy in forcing someone utterly unprepared into the role of investigator! :)

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Tue, 17. Jul 18, 13:06

Okay, so an update. I've thought through the beginning session a bit.

The characters are in a bar on the Klingon Homeworld.

A Klingon warrior starts talking smack with one of the PCs. Eventually I assume that the crew will do something to offend him, whereupon a bar brawl begins.

The characters will fight, but there will be a basically infinite number of Klingons, so eventually they'll all go down in a heap. At this point, the voice of the Admiral comes in with "End program, exit holodeck."

He'll give them a bit of a debriefing, commenting on how they will need to do beter diplomatically when they arrive on the REAL homeworld and face off against REAL Klingons.

I play the STTNG opening theme (as I usually do at the beginning of my adventures).

The Captain is given the Captain's log to read, bringing the PCs up to speed with the fact that they are going to the Klingon Homeworld and will be participating in the SpaceLympics.

More to follow . . .

Session 2:

Session 3:

Session 4:

Session 5:

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 17. Jul 18, 17:38

Usenko wrote:... At this point, the voice of the Admiral comes in with "End program, exit holodeck." ...
Admiral = "Protocol Officer", maybe a Major, at best. The point being an Admiral isn't going to be likely to take time away from the space-golf course to run a Captain and some junior officers through training simulations, IMO. The Protocol Officer could be introduced by the Admiral or be the Admiral's aid or Liaison officer. It could even be some officer from the equivalent of Starfleet's "State Department" or something, assigned to them by the Admiral if you want to maintain that connection.

Just my two cold-pressed latinum <sp>pieces on that. :)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 17. Jul 18, 17:58

Morkonan wrote:The point being an Admiral isn't going to be likely to take time away from the space-golf course to run a Captain and some junior officers through training simulations, IMO.
Except this canonically happened in Star Trek 2, where Admiral Kirk presided over the Kobayashi Maru test for Saavik--who also had a bridge filled with experienced officers!

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 17. Jul 18, 18:12

pjknibbs wrote:
Morkonan wrote:The point being an Admiral isn't going to be likely to take time away from the space-golf course to run a Captain and some junior officers through training simulations, IMO.
Except this canonically happened in Star Trek 2, where Admiral Kirk presided over the Kobayashi Maru test for Saavik--who also had a bridge filled with experienced officers!
True. But, wasn't this noted as unusual as well? Wasn't Spock the one running that test? (Can't remember atm.)

Edit:Can't find a clip that runs past Kirk's entrance. Still, while canon, it's obviously a dramatic entrance effect for Kirk I would think. Or, was he heading up the Academy or something at that time?

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Wed, 25. Jul 18, 13:16

Spock was at least participating in it. Not sure if he was running it.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Fri, 4. Jan 19, 08:41

*ARISE, DEAD THREAD!*

Sorry for the Necromancy, but I'm about a month off actually having to think about running this game. So . . . time to actually get things going.

So far we have the following:

--Begin session update, mostly same as last time. ;) --

The characters are in a bar on the Klingon Homeworld.

A Klingon warrior starts talking smack with one of the PCs. Eventually I assume that the crew will do something to offend him, whereupon a bar brawl begins.

The characters will fight, but there will be a basically infinite number of Klingons, so eventually they'll all go down in a heap. At this point, the voice of the Protocol Officercomes in with "End program, exit holodeck."

He'll give them a bit of a debriefing, commenting on how they will need to do beter diplomatically when they arrive on the REAL homeworld and face off against REAL Klingons.

I play the STTNG opening theme (as I usually do at the beginning of my adventures).

The Captain is given the Captain's log to read, bringing the PCs up to speed with the fact that they are going to the Klingon Homeworld and will be participating in the SpaceLympics.

More to follow . . .

Session 2:

Session 3:

Session 4:

Session 5:

-- End Session Update --

Okay, so since we last chatted about this, I have obtained some suitable miniatures. I have six generic Klingon Warriors, two Romulan officers and one Ferengi merchant.[1]

My thought is that each session we should have at least two specific things for each individual officer to do. This will include their role in any heats or practice laps for the big race, but won't be limited to that. I really want there to be some serious intrigue, BUT the crew members are not generally under threat of death. The stakes here are as follows:

Best case scenario: The crew returns victorious! They win gold in the event, and even their Klingon opponents cheer them, stating that they won with honour and that it was a glorious race! Mondo experience points to share. They also crack the underlying mystery (every Star Trek episode has an A story and a B story!).

Good scenario: The crew returns having won, but the Klingon opponents aren't all that thrilled - they say things like "Better to lose with honour than to win without it!" Or, alternatively, the crew lose, but honourably. Or they win honourably but never work out what the mystery was.

Meh scenario: There is some kind of tie or draw in the race, and the mystery is never solved.

Bad scenario: The crew are caught cheating in such a way that even Klingons can't see it as merely doing everything to win. The B story totally defeats them.

Worst case scenario: The crew are sent home in abject disgrace. The Federation will need to send a diplomatic delegation to Qo'nos to sort out the mess. Thanks for nothing guys. They don't even DISCOVER the B story. :)

The Romulans and Ferengi are involved in the SpaceLympics but not actually participating in the big event that our crew are sweating on (i.e. they will be mainly involved in the B story). Hence the figures.

SO . . Ideas, folks? As always, I know Morkonan loves this stuff, but everyone else is totally welcome to participate too!

[1] These are actually technically "Rim Aliens." Not a copyright violation at all, goodness, what made you think those are Klingons? They're RIDGED Rim Aliens. Those aren't Romulans, they're POINTY EARED Rim Aliens, and that is a BIG EARED Rim Alien, not a Ferengi!

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 4. Jan 19, 22:46

One of my favorite ST:TOS scenes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rsZfcz3h1s :)

(Waiting to see what excellent suggestions people provide!)

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sat, 5. Jan 19, 02:51

Haha!

The Klingons in the holographic bar brawl will describe the Tamworth as a "veQ Duj" (i.e. Garbage scow.") :)

A good thought: I'll give the crew a mini game. Their job is to maintain control and not punch the Klingons.

A Klingon will confront the PCs and bark a random insult. The PCs have 3 seconds to come up with a witty insult in response (especially good ones will get an appreciative laugh from the surrounding Klingons, and will be rewarded with a FATE point). If they cannot come up with a rejoinder, they have to roll for emotional control (Obviously the Vulcan character will get a bonus). Specific insults will be targeting each member of the crew, which will get a penalty to control- the Engineer, for example, will get a negative bonus when he insults the ship, the Captain will face racial slurs (he's a Caitian) and so on. Fate points will be awarded to any characters who manage to stay out of the brawl.

This could be FUN!

Return to “Off Topic English”