New Screenshots: The Teladi Osprey

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 27. Jul 18, 12:10

Could we get more shots of bigger ships - like Carriers or Destroyers?

Alee Enn
x4

Post by Alee Enn » Fri, 27. Jul 18, 12:43

mr.WHO wrote:Could we get more shots of bigger ships - like Carriers or Destroyers?
More shots of everything :)

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 27. Jul 18, 12:50

Alien Tech Inc. wrote:More shots of everything :)
Well.. not truly from everything, just stuff from the game is enough. :-P

MFG

Ketraar

Zetoss
x4

Post by Zetoss » Fri, 27. Jul 18, 13:05

Wish imgur didn't have scumbag trolls dropping random downvotes for no reason, the pics are out of this world! See what I did there? Anyway totally absolutely love the stuff, my X game itch is getting worse by the day, almost hoping I'll still be unemployed the first 6 months after X4 comes out...

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Fri, 27. Jul 18, 15:10

It's kind of bittersweet that we can only get to the bridge through a transporter system. I mean yeah, walking miles (figuratively) in Rebirth was a bad aspect of the game, but teleporting to the bridge somehow doesn't feel right either.

What could have been the middle ground here?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 27. Jul 18, 15:31

@ repatomonor: Teleporting to the bridge at least avoids passing through ship rooms that probably don't look quite as they should to save processing. For example, remember the two versions of the Skunk in Rebirth? (The unchanging docked one with empty rooms and the flying one with your crewmembers waiting in them.)
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Fri, 27. Jul 18, 15:37

Alan Phipps wrote:@ repatomonor: Teleporting to the bridge at least avoids passing through ship rooms that probably don't look quite as they should to save processing. For example, remember the two versions of the Skunk in Rebirth? (The unchanging docked one with empty rooms and the flying one with your crewmembers waiting in them.)
Yeah, but I also remember a certain capital ship bridge mod that basically added a straight corridor to the dock on a ship, leading to the bridge without breaking illusion.

I'm not trying to criticise ES here (because we all know that it's still fascinating that they can pull off this level of detail with limited manpower), I'm just saying that it's just a bummer that while the seamless immersion is not broken, the full blown experience is still missing.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Fri, 27. Jul 18, 16:00

Agreed, teleporting just changes tedious walking into tedious menus, but it is too late now anyway.

Let's see how the game turns out by ourself before trying to raise the wrong problems.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Fri, 27. Jul 18, 17:17

There are m ships where you can walk seamlessly into the cockpit, as their cockpit is located close to the floor.
In the case of the osprey we did not want to create 40-70m high staircases you have to climb to get to the cockpit, therefore we used the transporter room as elevator.

This is not a tool to hide a loading sequence though. I can "no clip" into a cockpit of an docked m ship and take a seat.

The example of the capital ship bridge in xr is therefore not a correct one. The full interior is not accessible from space and the other way around, the docked skunk there is just a decorative object and is not the same asset as the one in space.

In X4 there is no difference anymore between the docked ship and a flying ship, there is only one "scene" to handle.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Fri, 27. Jul 18, 20:48

So moving ships in and out of storage is an animated process (at least for stations).

Teleporting to decks within a ship seems odd. I'd rather it be an actual elevator/lift that takes you between decks on a large ship.
Last edited by A5PECT on Fri, 27. Jul 18, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Fri, 27. Jul 18, 21:07

And ministry of finance?
Are we back in the `old` universe?

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Fri, 27. Jul 18, 21:56

pref wrote:And ministry of finance?
Are we back in the `old` universe?
As if Albion, Omicron Lyrae, Maelstrom, and Home of Light wasn't part of the old universe in X Rebirth...?

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 27. Jul 18, 22:07

I remember, back when Star Citizen was first announced, wondering whether that would come out first, or X Rebirth...

At this point, I think X5 will be coming out slightly ahead of Star Citizen!

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Fri, 27. Jul 18, 22:22

Falcrack wrote:I remember, back when Star Citizen was first announced, wondering whether that would come out first, or X Rebirth...

At this point, I think X5 will be coming out slightly ahead of Star Citizen!
...Slightly? X4 is due this year if everything goes right. Yet I haven't seen even a single eta for SC yet.

Also, let's not confuse the two games. X4 is going to resolve around the older principles of the X series. SC is more of a "let's put everything possible into a single game". The problem with the latter is that if a video game doesn't have a clear orientation on what it is trying to do, it usually fails.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Sat, 28. Jul 18, 09:07

I noticed that the shipyard has no weapons for defense. Shown on the monitor. Is it usual I wonder for the NPCs not to bother with station weapons.

Also between the two landing pads another one becomes visible with a small ship on it. Are these station defenders or mass traffic?
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Sat, 28. Jul 18, 11:37

At the time I didnt have alot of spare cash so I was debating weather I would buy Star Citizen or XR.

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Sat, 28. Jul 18, 12:45

linolafett wrote:There are m ships where you can walk seamlessly into the cockpit, as their cockpit is located close to the floor.
In the case of the osprey we did not want to create 40-70m high staircases you have to climb to get to the cockpit, therefore we used the transporter room as elevator.

This is not a tool to hide a loading sequence though. I can "no clip" into a cockpit of an docked m ship and take a seat.

The example of the capital ship bridge in xr is therefore not a correct one. The full interior is not accessible from space and the other way around, the docked skunk there is just a decorative object and is not the same asset as the one in space.

In X4 there is no difference anymore between the docked ship and a flying ship, there is only one "scene" to handle.
I think if you're going for the full-on "immersion" then the way to get from bridge to dock is the turbolift - from bridge you walk through a door, into a very small room colourful room and then a second later the door in front of you opens and you're on the dock. Its that bit more fun than a transporter, because if you can transport - why not do it right from the comfort of your chair without having to get up and walk around.

(personally I would rather all the walking around was removed completely, never missed having it in X3 after all, there was plenty more to keep me occupied with just a HUD and menu at the side)

incidentally, I hope there will be keyboard controls on all menus - in X3, you docked, pressed d, and there was the trade menu. Clicking menus that appear all over the place is not the best for a game that you play for thousands of hours.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sat, 28. Jul 18, 13:44

ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:I noticed that the shipyard has no weapons for defense. Shown on the monitor. Is it usual I wonder for the NPCs not to bother with station weapons.

Also between the two landing pads another one becomes visible with a small ship on it. Are these station defenders or mass traffic?
I noticed this too, I wonder if ES are moving away from that and back to stations needing ships to defend them? Perhaps many will have Hangar Modules with a defence wing docked?

As an aside, in X2 I loved being able to comm a station, ask for help, and have them actually send some ships out to help me...if they liked me enough. The "Help..." option is still present in X3, but the command also resulted in a "we can't help now" even if it was a station with combat capable ships docked.

Scoob.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Sat, 28. Jul 18, 13:55

Scoob wrote:
ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:I noticed that the shipyard has no weapons for defense. Shown on the monitor. Is it usual I wonder for the NPCs not to bother with station weapons.

I noticed this too, I wonder if ES are moving away from that and back to stations needing ships to defend them? Perhaps many will have Hangar Modules with a defence wing docked?

As an aside, in X2 I loved being able to comm a station, ask for help, and have them actually send some ships out to help me...if they liked me enough. The "Help..." option is still present in X3, but the command also resulted in a "we can't help now" even if it was a station with combat capable ships docked.

Scoob.
The feature might have worked, but if I recall correctly stations in X3 didn't have assigned transporters/fighters at all (owned ships), as instead, every npc ship acted on a certain job script, including police and military ships that were supposed to do sector protection.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Sat, 28. Jul 18, 19:08

Varyah wrote:
Tamina wrote:
repatomonor wrote:[...]are we going to get full corridor system inside the ships that lead us to the bridges, or is it simply going to be a door on the dock, that teleports us onto the bridge/cockpit, as mentioned above?
This was answered in the German forum by Bernd, roughly translated:
Bernd wrote:How big walkable areas are, is different from ship to ship. But yes, on every ship there are those teleporter rooms connecting different important areas. On real L and XL ships this can be multiple docks and the bridge.
What I would like to know in this context is whether this always requires clicking through a context menu which is the only option of course for teleporting to other ships but seems a bit excessive for moving to a different area of the ship you're already on? I think multiple teleporter rooms (or call them turbo lifts...) with signs overhead saying DOCK1, DOCK2, BRIDGE, etc. where you just step in and and reappear in the respective destination or any other method (e.g. simple interactive buttons on the wall that select internal destinations in one click) that doesn't require going through menus to move around internally on a ship could be a better solution.

Yeah, I would personally like Big Ships to have everything from a Bridge to an Engine Room, Crew Quarters to a personal toilet.
Heck some cool missions could be made out of that, like "Fix their Engine>>Buy Engine Parts>>Offer them to the Quest NPC>>Complete Mission/Get Paid".

Some Capital ships being built with comfort in Mind, others that have concentrated their resources into other parts of the ship and have a rough Navy look about them.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Return to “X4: Foundations”