home networking revamp

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mrbadger
x3tc

home networking revamp

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 1. Aug 18, 14:36

After discussion in some thread, don't recall which one, I decided to revamp my home networking. I finally finished last night.

I already had networking over powerline, which I've had no problems with. It has a proper name, can't recall it right now, but every networked device I have that can use a cable is plugged into one. I have four in total, and a Netgear hub upstairs to allow for my PC and NAS to use the same one. I don't use my PC much, so bandwidth sharing isn't an issue.

For my wireless devices I use an airport extreme downstairs connected to another netgear switch. That also handles backups for all our Apple laptops and the wireless connection is provides has been solid for a few years.

The difference is the BT internet hub is out of the internal data transfer loop. That's handled by the Netgear switches and the IP over powerline stuff.

Now my data transfer rate seems pretty solid. Not much faster. A little faster possibly. The issue with my previous setup was rapid degradation without frequent reboots of the BT hub.

Total cost of the revision? About £30. Mostly it was just a case of rethinking my setup.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 1. Aug 18, 16:09

I guess you need more complex set ups when you have a house?

I just get by with a wireless router....

btw, is " networking over powerline," what I think it is? Is that reliable? Last time, long ago when I tried to send a signal over those wires they didnt go every far, due to how everything is wired.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 1. Aug 18, 16:21

I've been using it for almost two years, and it seems pretty reliable. I've not had file corruption on movies, I have my NAS upstairs and watch films in my downstairs bedroom, transferred over powerline.

I don't what other measure to use other than file corruption and I've experienced none. My NAS has a file corruption self correction thingy I think.

I think powerline networking went from unreliable to reliable really quickly once the basic kinks got worked out.
I get pretty good speeds from it, fast enough for me anyway. I can browse online upstairs without problem. I don't play online games apart from DCS, and it copes fine with that. Well the old setup did if I rebooted it before a game, I hope this new setup won't need reboots.

I think it was the broadband hub causing my problems, that's what someone here suggested.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 2. Aug 18, 00:01

I've got my own project on hold.

I've got to rebalance the power in my house... It's an old house and while the lines are up to code, they were last revamped before computers and big entertainment systems became commonplace.

But, I also have to re-wire the finished basement, too, since the repairs from the flooding damage will need that to be done.

And, that will also include some new circuits and, likely, a new fusebox/switchbox or several. (I have two, atm, and both may need to be replaced completely.)

And... none of that can happen until the construction crew actually gets around to me, since they're still overworked from all the houses that had damage. I'm supposed to be getting a scheduling call in the next week or so, which will tell me when they'll begin, which will probably be another month after that. :)

And, I have to time all of this so that electrical, construction, and plumbing crews will be able to work well together. Not a problem on my end, but I don't know what problems they're going to have...

"I'm waitin' on a wait."

So... @$%$. :)

Return to “Off Topic English”