Station Offices

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

DaMuncha
x4

Station Offices

Post by DaMuncha » Fri, 14. Sep 18, 21:56

I actually realy liked station walking on XR, although there wernt many different environments to see, like 2 different station designs. But alot of that space was wasted. What we've seen in the trailers with the landing platform walking looks great too.

What I've allways wanted is to be able to walk from my ship, out on the platform, into a air lock, down into a hallway, into a side room, sit down at a chair, pull up a computer screen or PDA and manage my empire from the safety of the little room on the station.

In the latest media videos and screenshots we've been given a glimpse at something like this. And weve been told there are rooms that connect the landing platforms. What I want is my own room I can customize? where I can sit on a chair and do my business.💩

Perhaps the player HQ?

Or Instead of it needing to be another room, perhaps it could be a seperate room with a corridor that leads to a teleporter, so you can teleport there any time you want after you unlock the teleporter feature, have the window over look a part of a station or HQ, All we would need is a cozy room with monitors. I think that would be much easier to do. it doesnt even need to be part of a station just have the window be a camera view from a point over looking a docking platform, and because its just a camera, perhaps have its point of view be at any part of a station. like a security camera?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1512493053

Maybe have a switchable fish tank animation play in the window?
Last edited by DaMuncha on Sat, 15. Sep 18, 00:21, edited 4 times in total.

jocan2003
x4

Post by jocan2003 » Fri, 14. Sep 18, 22:53

I ould love so, maybe a mod down the line if its not possible? Because i think it will be the title that will be the most open to moddong in the whole X serie.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Fri, 14. Sep 18, 23:05

Expansive interiors in every station are a nice idea, but add a gargantuan amount of extra work for the development team. If you create a big space, you need things to occupy it; otherwise why have that space at all? This was a the ultimate problem with interiors in XR.

I like the idea of specific stations - for example, the player HQ - to have unique, exclusive interiors with specialized functions.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Fri, 14. Sep 18, 23:12

While you can technically do this even in Rebirth, if you want to (the map and all the command interfaces are just as available outside the Skunk as they are inside it)... I agree, the experience could be better.

A nice office desk with one of those big sliding screens like we had inbetween the pilot and the copilot seats in the Skunk would be pretty cool. Or some kind of holographic projector, maybe. Maybe a big panoramic window overlooking the traffic outside, too. Sit down, have a tea, pull up the monitor, and get to work while the ships sail by in the background. ^^
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Fri, 14. Sep 18, 23:15

I just had another great idea. Instead of it needing to be another room, perhaps be a room with a corridor that leads to a teleporter, so you can teleport there any time you want after you unlock the teleporter feature, have the window over look a part of a station or HQ, All we would need is a cozy room with monitors. I think that would be much easier to do. it doesnt even need to be part of a station just have the window be a camera view from a point over looking a docking platform, and because its just a camera, perhaps have its point of view be at any part of a station. like a security camera?

Isnt that how the bridge mod for XR worked?

Even if it isnt in the game by default I'd love to see a mod like this?

I could even model and texture it.

Maybe they'd put it into the game as a default?

If you dont have the teleporter yet, maybe a guard at the end of the hallway that has a dialogue option to send u back to the docking platform?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1512485102

Maybe a bed in the room? and when you use the bed it activates SETA? When the player activats the bed, the player uses the sitting animation to sit on the end of the bed?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1512493053

YSE YES YES

Maybe have a switchable fish tank animation play in the window?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1512498617

If ego soft provided the assets in the mod editor it could be made even easier and look like it fit the style of the existing game?

Maybe a DLC? But I'd want it pretty fast and we wont get to see any DLCs for a few months after release? so maybe a mod would be faster?

And the guard at the end of the hall would be the same race as the player character?

It doesnt have to be small either. How about a large studio apartment? at the top of one of the living areas?

https://cdn.myfancyhouse.com/wp-content ... erta-8.jpg

How about an atual apartment? a whole player living area?

This could easily be done with what weve got in X4 with the systems allready in place?

Maybe a selection of different buyable apartments?

https://www.decoist.com/2015-02-12/home ... cean-view/

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Sat, 15. Sep 18, 10:43

Being able to have a private room/appartment is a very cool idea… I'd love too..

But the way I know in XR, even clickable screens weren't visually active (only coloured when you can click on it then opened the real screen you want)

If it is Something in the game, I would like it to be really made and not only a room bearly the same as the rest of station's interiors… Something fully designed and visually active a bit further than in CapitalBridgeMod by Litauen in XR where at least we had maps, like THE map.

If it is done, it should be done really fully...
Miniding
X3 Reunion - X3 Terran Conflict - X3 Albion Prelude - X Rebirth - X4 CE...

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Sat, 15. Sep 18, 11:43

Yeah the capital bridge mod is what Im thinking, except a separate living space. It can exist no where but be accessible via teleport or NPC, and the window be a view from a living quarter or dock.

If I were to model it Id have to wait till the game comes out and copy the design, of if were lucky, be able to use in game assets to make it.

but of course they could allways do it them selves, I mean if they allready have the asssets and work path it could be done in a few days. Rather than it taking one of us a few months.

I dont know why they have to make station interiors so small and bare.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sat, 15. Sep 18, 14:19

Ide really like to have a command center in a station, I would love to be able to sit in my station and command my combat and trade empire. Looks like X4 has the map to allow this, so why sit in a ship when we can sit in the relative safety (stations can be blown up in X4 though) of a station that we've spent a lot of time building and hopefully customising?
The player HQ in previous games was a very popular feature, Ide see this kind of thing as an expansion of that idea.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 15. Sep 18, 18:20

Not a bad idea really, a room with a teleporter where we manage our empire. When we want to directly join in a fight, we just teleport to the relevant ship.

AC_Black
x4

Post by AC_Black » Sun, 16. Sep 18, 00:39

So far we have a block with X # of rooms with an Office, bedroom, teleport and tea room. So going to say 1 block with 1 wall to make up the office/tea/teleporter then bedroom with maybe a shower/sink.

Office with Window facing Docking bay(s) high enough to not see while sitting, (saves ram from seeing NCP's doing their work. Standing up would shut off work screens.

Interior design would need to be neutral for HQ as regardless what fraction we choose or the other player starts that we have or modded.

Only problem I see is where to put it as we have no points of reference as of yet, unless someone be be nice enough to take a few pics Hint Hint LOL

Love the ideas that are on this thread.....
Honor is the Only thing to Hold True.

Value comes from the Space you have and what you make of what Space you got.

H.I.E.R.
Honesty, Integrity, Equanimity and Respect.

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Sun, 16. Sep 18, 01:52

The typical layout of studio apartments for the area I live in

https://imgur.com/a/MfrJvT8

For... compact living spaces

Better yet

https://imgur.com/a/aC7r6XT

and then

https://imgur.com/a/ZiwCRVy

Or something even smaller?
https://imgur.com/a/EHZSvJk

Blade Runner recreation
https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/03/bla ... ent-in-vr/

AC_Black
x4

Post by AC_Black » Sun, 16. Sep 18, 23:41

LOL Blade Runner #1 Pick :D
Honor is the Only thing to Hold True.

Value comes from the Space you have and what you make of what Space you got.

H.I.E.R.
Honesty, Integrity, Equanimity and Respect.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 17. Sep 18, 17:46

IMO some kind of customizable private quarter/command center on HQ would be neat. Normal stations are fine with lust landing pads/hangar/generic offfice.

Looking at recent screenshots of hangars I think Egosoft redeemed itself for atrocious X-Rebirth interiors.

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Mon, 17. Sep 18, 23:02

I played X3TC for hundreds of hours but never made it far enough that I got to the point where I built a HQ. Nor did I even remotely have enough resources to build it.
I was thinking about having a small apartment for normal stations and a larger fancy apartment for the HQ

Silla
xr

Post by Silla » Mon, 17. Sep 18, 23:14

Well surly it is a need idea to be able to customize your private space. Yet it is on the same level as walkable station interiors or planets. Neet but without function. I’d rather see them, invest their time in something worthwhile that brings real content to the game.

That aside just having a chair to sit in with a desk on a station..without the customization...might be not such a big problem. Still I think most people won’t spent their time on a station but rather on their ships and capitals. Hence capitals would be better suited while still the question on top applies.

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Mon, 17. Sep 18, 23:51

I think adding / changing furniture is beyond what the engine is capable of. Unless there would be a console that let you swap one model for another, but thats well beyond the scope of what I had planned. The idea was that the living quarters/office was just a static model with a chair you could sit in when managing your assets.

If given an environment editor like the Skyrim editor This could be done quickly. But if we had to model and program EVERYTHING that would be beyond me, Im just an artist, I have a picture of what it would look like in my head if I were to design it my self, but programming in a feature that lets you change the furniture is well beyond what I'm capable of.

Any help with making this would be greatly desired.

Return to “X4: Foundations”