Free Jumpdrives anybody??

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Brodie
x4

Free Jumpdrives anybody??

Post by Brodie » Sun, 18. Apr 04, 14:32

Here is a sneeky litle trick ive noticed that i'll let you all in on, personally even theough i noticed this i havent ever found the need to use it yet, but you never know.......You need 2 ships, 1 with a Jumpdrive (lets say a Split Elephant), and another with Freight Beamer (lets say a Argon Nova)
From the Nova with the Elephant targeted, instruct the Elephant to use Jumpdrive, tell it where you want it to go, then hit return to confirm the comand. Then (you guessed it!) with the Elephant still targeted simply use your freight beamer to beam over tthe jump drive, the Elpephant will Jump and now your free to follow!

Only a simple cheeky little trick but someone might find it usefull :P

Brodie
:P

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sun, 18. Apr 04, 14:40

Well you could just dock the Nova and jump with the Elephant. Anyway an interesting observation which might become handy in another situation.

Cheers Euclid

Brodie
x4

Post by Brodie » Sun, 18. Apr 04, 14:43

Ok then......a Dragon and a Nova

JackScratch
x2

Post by JackScratch » Sun, 18. Apr 04, 17:12

"A Dragon and a Nova walk into a bar..."

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Sun, 18. Apr 04, 17:18

So, as the other ship is charging, you just take the jumpdrive, equip it, tell the ship to follow, and they'll both still jump?
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

cheeseisgood

Post by cheeseisgood » Mon, 19. Apr 04, 18:49

I can see where this would be useful...

You just bought a spangly new ship, and don't want to have to have it haul ass halfway across the universe to get a new jumpdrive - so you use this trick to jump 2 ships using one drive.

Or, for replacing freighters, you buy them, kit them out, then give them a lump of energy and the drive, dispatch them, then take the drive back ... no more waiting for replacment freighters to arrive, or humping about in a TL dropping them off.

Handy, but I have a feeling it's more of a bug, so everyone hush so it doesn't get fixed :)

Oxyonagon
x2

Post by Oxyonagon » Mon, 19. Apr 04, 18:51

no...this is handy when capturing pirates. and you can't be assed waiting for them to haul themselves the usual couple of years to get to a selling dock place. so jumpdrive trick is handy here! :P
"Don't let the khaak get you from the rear"

FanaticChiken
x2

Post by FanaticChiken » Mon, 19. Apr 04, 19:48

LOL, did anyone tried to beam over his own transporter?

S VIIC/41
x2

Post by S VIIC/41 » Mon, 19. Apr 04, 19:50

But don't BOTH ships need a transporter to transport freight/you? Because then it'd be no good, but if not, then cool.

Sabo
x2

Post by Sabo » Mon, 19. Apr 04, 19:53

You dont need one on both, ive transported transporter devices before :p

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 19. Apr 04, 22:12

Silly question: if you can afford a Split Elephant and an Argon Nova (total cost well over 20 million credits), why can't you afford 100k for a second jumpdrive?

SugarPops
x3

Post by SugarPops » Tue, 20. Apr 04, 00:00

agreed man that's alot of trouble to save 100k. I have 22 Teladi Osprey all with their own jumpdrives. My captains would laugh me out of the monthly briefing if we discussed new cost-cutting measures such as the J.D.S.I.M.J.B.T.A.B.A.L. proposal.

(Jump Drive Sharing In Mid Jump Because The Admiral Bought Another Lexus)

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Tue, 20. Apr 04, 00:05

I just tried doing it with my Vulture and Nova, which has a jumpdrive. I tried to have them both jump to cloudbase SW so I could get my Vulture a jumpdrive of its own. I got into the vulture with the beamer, got them both in space, targeted the Nova, told it to jump, beamed the jumpdrive over to the vulture, told it to jump to cloudbase SW, but the Nova didn't do anything. I selected it after beaming the drive and telling my vulture to jump, and in "assigned command" it said "none." Also, my vulture couldn't jump because it didn't have enough e-cells, does that also abort the Nova jump?
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

S VIIC/41
x2

Post by S VIIC/41 » Tue, 20. Apr 04, 00:08

You dont need one on both, ive transported transporter devices before
Kick ass. But how do you buy extra transporter devices? I could only buy one because it was an upgrade for the ship rather than cargo or like shields how you buy them and as many as you can take is fitted and the rest are put in the cargo hold.

cheeseisgood

Post by cheeseisgood » Sat, 24. Apr 04, 22:33

The thing with both the jump drives and transporters is that you can't buy them in bulk, so for evedry ship you want to have one, one of your ships must go into ther goner temple and buy one - so just pick a random ship, jump it to Cloudbase SW, and port out the jumpdrive, that way you don't need to get a driveless ship flying half way across the galaxy. With carriers, you can dock M3/M4/M5 and so on, and jump them like that, but this is very handy for new M6's

[edit] yeah, and capped ships

Brodie
x4

Post by Brodie » Sat, 24. Apr 04, 23:19

Pjknibbs said:
Silly question: if you can afford a Split Elephant and an Argon Nova (total cost well over 20 million credits), why can't you afford 100k for a second jumpdrive
Ok i only found out by accident and thought i'd share it, jeeeeez some people! Besides as posted above its handy for capturing ships (eg Pirate), equip your nova etc with a jumpdrive, a transporter and a load of energy cells. Once you've captured a pirate etc beam some energy cells and the jump drive and order it to jump to the nearest doclk, then beam the drive out as its counting down!

Anyway i did say:
Here is a sneeky litle trick ive noticed that i'll let you all in on, personally even though i noticed this i havent ever found the need to use it yet, but you never know
Brodie
Last edited by Brodie on Sat, 24. Apr 04, 23:28, edited 3 times in total.

Doringo

Post by Doringo » Sat, 24. Apr 04, 23:20

Nice quotes :lol:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Storm666
x3tc

Post by Storm666 » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 07:30

sounds like a lot more micro-managemnet to me.... and there can be too much of that most of the time anyway.

but probably usefull to someone early in their game :)

Gnavpot
x2

Post by Gnavpot » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 08:21

Storm666 wrote:sounds like a lot more micro-managemnet to me.... and there can be too much of that most of the time anyway.
Perhaps. At my stage - quite late in the game, but not late enough for my own TL - it will make life much easier. Until now, when building new fabs and equipping them with Dolphins, I have had to buy the ships up to 2 hours in advance as it takes 12-15 minutes to travel through each sector.

Now I can buy a bunch of Dolphins, go outside the Boron Dock Yard and jump each of the ships to their final destination where they can go into service at once. Perhaps not less micromanagement but surely a lot less planning.

BTW, I tested it, and it works. However, both ships had the Navigation Software. I do not know if it had worked if only one ship had the software - as in "jump my newly captured ship to system with shipyard". If we are fast enough, we can beam both the jumpdrive and the nav software, but I have not tested if that will stop the jump.

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 08:34

Hmn interesting.

Transfering the JD during a jump used to cancel the jump so something must have happened in one of the patch updates.
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”