Drilling System and OOS Combat?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Darkhold
x4

Drilling System and OOS Combat?

Post by Darkhold » Sun, 18. Apr 04, 20:00

I'm curious if anyone has experimented with using freighters equiped with Drilling Systems for protection. Seems like the way OOS Combat is done they would destroy ships with ease. It would make protecting your freighters a snap. Vultures would rule the galaxy as the best sell ship in the game.

Or is there something I'm not seeing?

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Sun, 18. Apr 04, 20:11

Freighters are very slow, and I don't think drilling systems do much damage to ships, says it in the description.
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

Redjack
x3

Post by Redjack » Sun, 18. Apr 04, 20:16

Most enemy ships don't come into range of the driller in OOS combat. I've tried it on my Elephant. It did far better with a G/HEPT, even though the MDS has a higher damage rating.

Darkhold
x4

Post by Darkhold » Sun, 18. Apr 04, 20:18

The Argonopedia says
Shield damage: 4000 units of damage per shot
Hull damage: 6000 units of damage per shot
The reason it doesn't help against ships is the crappy range and the slow moving shots. But from what I understand (admittedly little) this shouldn't have a huge effect on OOS Combat. Just wondering if anyone has tried it and what was the results.

JackScratch
x2

Post by JackScratch » Sun, 18. Apr 04, 20:18

They do do a horribly large amount of damage at very short range. Check the damage table on the Commander site for the real scoop. Only my TL keeps one regularly equipped, but it seemed to do the job on the odd occasion it was attacked.

Haven't done extensive tests though.

Darkhold
x4

Post by Darkhold » Sun, 18. Apr 04, 20:19

Thanks Redjack. Another good idea down the drain. :D

Darkhold
x4

Post by Darkhold » Sun, 18. Apr 04, 20:30

Oh and just to be clear I'm not talking about using them as an offense. I'm talking about using them on buy/sell ships for defense if that changes anything.

Freeholder
x4

Post by Freeholder » Sun, 18. Apr 04, 20:47

I'd really like to see a future patch enable ALL TS class ships to mount the mining laser. And for npc ships to occasionally equip them.

Imagine the surprise factor if you tried to attack a mining laser equipped pirate ship and got too close just as it opened fire.... :lol:

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Sun, 18. Apr 04, 20:57

Dolphins, mercuries, caimans, and pirate ships should also be able to equip the MDS. After all, dolphins are the largest TS's, and you shouldn't have to be able to afford a demeter or vulture if you're just starting mobile mining.
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

Freeholder
x4

Post by Freeholder » Sun, 18. Apr 04, 21:21

Disposing of a Dolphin hold-full's amount of mined silicone wafers would be a bit time consuming, but ohhh, the CREDITSSSSSSS :!: :!:

Course, that's with praying the hinted at TS upgrades include increased ability to mount the mining laser in addition to the almost sure bet of better speed & cheaper cargo capacity.

@ DEV's.....PLEASE??.......PRETTY PLEASE??....PRETTY PLEASE WITH SPRINKLES ON TOP????????

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 18. Apr 04, 21:38

In OOS the Mobile Drilling System has a laser power number of 8000. That's OK, but let's say a Khaak M3 (shield 75000, laser 18000 or thereabouts) is attacking your TS (shield 75000, laser 8000)--who's going to win? And that's even BEFORE you take into account all the M5s which usually accompany the M3.

The only TS which MIGHT stand a chance is the Paranid Demeter, because it can mount a MDS in both its front gun and rear turret. OOS that would give it 75000/16000, which is a much more even match for the Khaak.

Of course, in-sector you can forget all this--you haven't got a hope in hell of actually hitting an enemy ship with a Mobile Drilling System.

Gnavpot
x2

Post by Gnavpot » Sun, 18. Apr 04, 22:15

Darkhold wrote: Just wondering if anyone has tried it and what was the results.
I haven't.

But instead I have tried taking out a station with a mining laser on my own. It was able to take approx. 50% of the station's shield.

The laser was pointing directly at the entrance to the station, and all M5/M3 fighters which were released were melted immediately. Given the damage figures in this thread, I don't really understand that. An M3 with 50k or 75k shield + a little hull should take something like 5-15 shots.

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Sun, 18. Apr 04, 22:35

Constipated_Vigilante wrote:Dolphins, mercuries, caimans, and pirate ships should also be able to equip the MDS. After all, dolphins are the largest TS's, and you shouldn't have to be able to afford a demeter or vulture if you're just starting mobile mining.
No way - who'd ever buy a Vulture if the Dolphin mounted an MDS? Nobody. For speed, choose the Caiman. For convenience, the Demeter. For cargo size, the Vulture. The dolphin is huge, so doesn't need another advantage. The Mercury is heavily shielded for its speed, and is another one that doesn't need this extra advantage. It's good the way it is... don't give anybody a reason to nerf the Dolphin!

Having said that, it's be nice of the Mercury had the MDS instead of, say, the Caiman. Its turret would make mining easier.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

Freeholder
x4

Post by Freeholder » Sun, 18. Apr 04, 22:46

I believe that, at the least, Pirate Ship's SHOULD be able to equip MDS...including npc Pirate Ships. Dolphins with MDS would be a bonus, and Mercuries w/o MDS is a gross oversight, IMO.

JamieKnowles
x4

Post by JamieKnowles » Sun, 18. Apr 04, 23:10

Eh??

Pirates arn't Miners, that'd mean they were earning an honest crust. :D

James_2k
x3

Post by James_2k » Mon, 19. Apr 04, 01:57

pjknibbs wrote:In OOS the Mobile Drilling System has a laser power number of 8000. That's OK, but let's say a Khaak M3 (shield 75000, laser 18000 or thereabouts) is attacking your TS (shield 75000, laser 8000)--who's going to win? And that's even BEFORE you take into account all the M5s which usually accompany the M3.

The only TS which MIGHT stand a chance is the Paranid Demeter, because it can mount a MDS in both its front gun and rear turret. OOS that would give it 75000/16000, which is a much more even match for the Khaak.

Of course, in-sector you can forget all this--you haven't got a hope in hell of actually hitting an enemy ship with a Mobile Drilling System.
Last time i checked the laser rating was 11000 for the M3, i think, i remember because i thought at the time that it seemed a bit low for what it can do!

Momaw
x3tc

Post by Momaw » Mon, 19. Apr 04, 04:05

pjknibbs wrote:Of course, in-sector you can forget all this--you haven't got a hope in hell of actually hitting an enemy ship with a Mobile Drilling System.
I've taken a Demeter into dogfights. It polishes off Pirate Ships with ease :) It's possible to kill off a Khaak cluster, but it takes an incredibly long time. Take out the M3, chase down the M5's over the course of an eon or two. The MDS may have a really slow shot and pathetic range, but that actually helps it somewhat: you can set up a sort of 'field of fire', and ships that try to go through will generally hit one of the sluggish laser blasts.

Anyway.
Patient of the Mad Goner asylum for the mentally extravagant

Whitepaw
x3

Post by Whitepaw » Mon, 19. Apr 04, 05:16

Momaw wrote:I've taken a Demeter into dogfights. It polishes off Pirate Ships with ease :) It's possible to kill off a Khaak cluster, but it takes an incredibly long time. Take out the M3, chase down the M5's over the course of an eon or two. The MDS may have a really slow shot and pathetic range, but that actually helps it somewhat: you can set up a sort of 'field of fire', and ships that try to go through will generally hit one of the sluggish laser blasts.

Anyway.
I've actually had to take some pirate ships, and a Khaak cluster out in my Demeter also, back when I was doing the mobile mining thing. They were threatening my Manta fleet! Then I bought a TL. :wink:

The MDS does some wicked damage, and you're garunteed hits if the enemy is 'playing chicken' with you. They fly right into the MDS shots, if you start firing soon enough. I would not recommend trying to dogfight in a Demeter though, unless you REALLY had to. :P

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”