Why can I kill M1-M2's with a poxy M3!!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Chazzie
x3tc

Why can I kill M1-M2's with a poxy M3!!

Post by Chazzie » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 23:25

I've just found a way of destroying M1 and M2 class ships in an M3 heavy fighter.
Spoiler
Show

Close in from behind with an Ion-d and Beta HEPT match it's speed - then using the strafe drive keep going side to side with the weapon firing even after your out of energy - then when its shields are down fire Hornet missiles - blam dead! - I've used this on all ships bar the Khakk.
My point is should you be able to do this? A destroyer should not easily be destroyed. Is it possible to have shields related to ship mass? so that it would have to take 20 M3's or a single Destoyer to make it fair.

Anybody any ideas?

Doringo

Post by Doringo » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 23:27

M3s are supposed to be considered as bomber class, and M2s are perfect targets.
The problem is the fact that they can't hit you with anything short of a PSG/KE/ID...
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Spero
x3

Post by Spero » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 23:27

If you are good you can take down an M1/2 in a \split Iguana or a Bayamon. Also you'll find that PSGs kill cap ships much faster than ID/HEPT combo.

Sir Crashalot
x4

Post by Sir Crashalot » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 23:32

PPC bolts move with the speed on an old man/lady crossing a busy road. :shock:

Too slow and easy to dodge even without a strafe drive. :(
If you can`t dazzle them with dynamics, then baffle them with bullsh*t :D

Jha'dur
x2

Post by Jha'dur » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 23:33

The destroyer should have had M3's of it's own to take care of you. But since the combat-AI can't match the human mind, such things will happen.
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Ferd Harling
x2

Post by Ferd Harling » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 23:36

I think the bigger ships should be equipt with 'Flak Turrets' to take care of the incoming missiles. 8)
Ferd Harling
Second IC of FACTS (Free Advice Conquering The Systems)
Please visit us for all your questions, Ideas & To join Click on the Logo below :)
[ external image ]

ShadowX
x2

Post by ShadowX » Sat, 24. Apr 04, 00:51

I know the problem very well: today I destroyed a group of 5 Xenon Ks with no problem using Perseus and 1xAHEPT 2xBPSG/2xAHEPT 1xBPSG combinations. They were all in close to each other and still cannot hit me even once!(in addition there were several smaller Xenon ships firing at me(missiles also) with no result)

1 M3 or up+strafe drive=GOD MODE

three words: BEAM WEAPONS NEEDED!!

TerrorTrooper
x4

Post by TerrorTrooper » Sat, 24. Apr 04, 01:07

i can see tis becoming an FS2 Debate...

As much as i lve FS2.... X2 aint gonna ever have that sort of co0mbat realism..

Get over it people.........

Sir Crashalot
x4

Post by Sir Crashalot » Sat, 24. Apr 04, 01:14

TerrorTrooper wrote:i can see tis becoming an FS2 Debate...

As much as i lve FS2.... X2 aint gonna ever have that sort of co0mbat realism..

Get over it people.........
There are valid points in this thread that could be addressed in order to make X2 a better game.

You get over it. If you don`t like the contents of a thread then dont read it or post in it, because at the end of the day this isn`t your forum. :P

simonnance
x3tc

Post by simonnance » Sat, 24. Apr 04, 01:23

ive take out a Xenon M2 with a paranid M3 (3 BPSGs) without runing out of energy. there is easy, then there is TOO easy. i havent tried a bayamon with 4 PSGs but i shudder to think.
want the FACTS about X2/X3?
Usenko wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think animals have their place in the scheme of things. It's just that in the case of sheep, cattle and pigs, their place happens to be in neat pieces under the griller.:-)

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Sat, 24. Apr 04, 14:15

During WWII Japanese kamikaze-pilos could destroy an entire aircraft carrier with just a small fighter. They even had special aircraft to do so. As I see it, its possible and realistic.

Sir Crashalot
x4

Post by Sir Crashalot » Sat, 24. Apr 04, 14:20

Oh ?

I forgot that WWII Carriers were equipped with 625 mw Force Fields.. silly me. :roll:

Also, name one Japanese pilot who destroyed an Aircraft carrier using just a fighter and survived to tell the tale ?

Thinking about it, WW1 had no aircraft carriers, therefore they cannot exist in X2 !

ShadowX
x2

Post by ShadowX » Sat, 24. Apr 04, 15:44

Absolutely true! Kamize planes did actually need quite BIG explosive onboard in order to destroy an aircraft carrier(I'm not convinced that ONE could ever possibly do that). And aircraft carriers are MUCH smaller than destroyers in this game.

I found this: http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/fac ... ip-cv.html
Some stats of U.S. carriers.

vonstalhein
x2

Post by vonstalhein » Sat, 24. Apr 04, 15:51

Hmm, this has been mostly said in another thread. Don't use a strafe drive for a start, and that wil help to alleviate your problem. As for constructive suggestions for 1.4 or the expansion pack, it would perhaps be nice to either make m1/2s stronger in some way (maybe as you say, simply increasing shielding) as adding in a whole new weapon type would mean massive changes to the entire economy and game map. Maybe (i can't specify, i'm actually quite a n00b at the game) the most powerful weapon in the game (or that m3s can equip) should just be down graded in effectiveness. Certainly a tiny bit of balancing would make about a million X2 m3 pilots very happy!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 24. Apr 04, 17:37

The thing about Kamikaze pilots is--they really weren't very successful. I think they sunk maybe 50-60 ships for the loss of many hundreds of expensive planes and skilled pilots. I'm also certain they never actually sunk an aircraft carrier with a Kamikaze.

Doringo

Post by Doringo » Sat, 24. Apr 04, 17:38

I agree with pjknibbs, the only time I ever thought them as effective was probably the fifth Mars mission in Haegemonia :P
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Titaniumplanck
x3ap

Post by Titaniumplanck » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 01:44

I have never tried to take on a M2 or M1 in my Nova, but from what ive seen here there should definatly be some sorta increase in 'power' in the carrier and destroyer classes.

I think that the following would be appropiate (from what Ive heard)
a) Introduce some beam weaponry on the carriers or destroyers (long range high power consumption), but keep the plasma aswell because a whole destroyer of beams would be a little brutal

b) Increase the hull strength of the carriers and destroyers
c) Increase the shield strength

I think that a fleet of M3s attacking a destroyer would make the game far more interesting (look at star wars, huge battles rock!) Also people with vast fleets would have a use for them!

simonnance
x3tc

Post by simonnance » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 01:49

who needs beams, just have some fast flak type guns for close in antifighter work, and some big bitches with no rotation abilities for the cap ship slagging.

beams are for the Khaak

look shity anyhow
Usenko wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think animals have their place in the scheme of things. It's just that in the case of sheep, cattle and pigs, their place happens to be in neat pieces under the griller.:-)

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 02:12

One shell took out the HMS Hood. Completely - only three survivors out of over 1,000 men on board.

A single torpedo took out the Argentinian Cruiser General Belgrano.

One bomb - about the size of a saloon car - killed about 200,000 people in Hiroshima...

One single solitary nuke could evaporate the entire Nimitz Carrier group with one blast.

A meteorite the size of Texas would wipe out all life on planet Earth - permanently.

A single Proton Torpedo took out the Death Star - nobody got up and yelled "not fair!" in the cinema...

As Yoda says - "look at me - judge me by my size do you?"

simonnance
x3tc

Post by simonnance » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 02:26

Greyhawk1 wrote:One shell took out the HMS Hood. Completely - only three survivors out of over 1,000 men on board.

A single torpedo took out the Argentinian Cruiser General Belgrano.

One bomb - about the size of a saloon car - killed about 200,000 people in Hiroshima...

One single solitary nuke could evaporate the entire Nimitz Carrier group with one blast.

A meteorite the size of Texas would wipe out all life on planet Earth - permanently.

A single Proton Torpedo took out the Death Star - nobody got up and yelled "not fair!" in the cinema...

As Yoda says - "look at me - judge me by my size do you?"
sadly most of these are flukes, but a few points

One single solitary nuke could evaporate the entire Nimitz Carrier group with one blast. - yeah and it would cost more that the entire group

A meteorite the size of Texas would wipe out all life on planet Earth - permanently. - yeah thats coz the dust cloud would block out the sun and the ground shocks would knock everything over. no sun no life. permantly is to big a word though, unles the world broke apart from the impact.

A single torpedo took out the Argentinian Cruiser General Belgrano. -Thats coz it was an american WWII cruiser not designed for modern warefare. Plus the argentinians had it coming.

A single Proton Torpedo took out the Death Star - nobody got up and yelled "not fair!" in the cinema... -thats coz it looked good from a storyline point of view.

To be honest if you fork out up to 100 mill for that fully upgraded M2 of your dreams then smoe poxy 2-3 mil M£ shouldnt be able to knock it out.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”