M6: Teladi Osprey & M6's in general

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

The Jopp
x3tc

M6: Teladi Osprey & M6's in general

Post by The Jopp » Fri, 7. May 04, 09:04

I've finally bought myself an Osprey, now known as the A.F.G Voyager (Argon Federation Goverment) and I really wonder why people have a problem with it saying it is a "cheater" ship due to it's 6 guns and heavy shields (So far I haven't gotten 3X125, im stuck at 175MW shields total).

Pros.
Huge cargo space, fat shields and plenty of guns, looks cool with those wings. :D

Cons.
Even with engine tuning through the roof and maximum steering it's a sitting duck. Khaak clusters isn't that much of a problem as long as the turrets hit but one really has to plan when trying to line up the shots since you turn so damn slow.

Against Xenon it's worse, albeit faster than the NOVA i flew before the OSPREY is as agile as a pregnant mule with broken legs stuck in a tarpit. Anyone of the other M6 has enough speed and manouverability to dodge incoming fire from the Xenon M1 & M2, the Osprey will get pounded into scrap (Ok, it might take awhile but it WILL happen)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm planning to get more of the Osprey's though since they are weapon platforms compared to some of the others but there are some problems.

1. Is there ANY other way to fully laden your cargo hold without having to use a maxed-out harrier and ferry the cargo back and forth? Can i use the transporter device and if so, how? With 1500 in cargo space we are talking 15 trips just to fill the hold.

2. WHY does the Osprey show the Harrier docked on the underside of the ship when it has a huge-assed hangar right in front of the harrier? I thought ships landed aboard the M6, not piggybacked on the outside, it looks downright silly, it's not how I envisioned a ship with a docking "bay". (any script to remove that perhaps?)
"Boundless Human Stupidity" - CUBE

Bubbe
x2

Post by Bubbe » Fri, 7. May 04, 09:11

In answer to question 1 I usualy target a SPP Seller and steal his freight with the cargobeamer :D
Wherever you go,there you are !

Darkireland
x2

Post by Darkireland » Fri, 7. May 04, 10:19

I wiped out 3 Xenon system including god knows how many m2's and at lest 3 M1's with my ospray

Btw mine is a full spec version with Alpha shockwave generators......try fitting a Straf drive and 2 aswg to the front of your ship and notting can beat you :P

Oh and in reply to question 1 just have a Tl a stand by with a few energy cells or plan your trips so you will always have energy to get back to terracorp hq
Flagship : Enterprize Argon titan
System defence 1 m2 + 5 * M6's
Transports : 2 TL's "Dark star" and "Republic" + 245 Tp/Ts class ships + 6 mk3 trader grade 25 to 13
75 : factorys

Hugoman
x2

Post by Hugoman » Fri, 7. May 04, 10:26

to solve the docking problem, j00 could have the harrier just fly alongside j00
and with bPSGs, j00 should easily wipe out Xenon J/Ks
without pie there is only chaos

|karus
x3

Post by |karus » Fri, 7. May 04, 11:13

The Osprey is the second fastest turning m6, only the Dragon turns faster (and not by much). If you find the Osprey "as agile as a pregnant mule with broken legs stuck in a tarpit" then I suggest you go back to m3's :P
All you have to do is strafe a little and you are nigh on invincible in an Osprey, it really is a true no-brainer. It can take out Khaak M2's FFS :( (provided you know what you are doing)

JustHere4Coffee
x2

Post by JustHere4Coffee » Fri, 7. May 04, 11:26

Bubbe wrote:In answer to question 1 I usualy target a SPP Seller and steal his freight with the cargobeamer :D
cool idea... not tried that before!

Darkireland
x2

Post by Darkireland » Fri, 7. May 04, 11:27

You can steal peoples cargo useing the Transporter beam ???
Transports : 2 TL's "Dark star" and "Republic" + 245 Tp/Ts class ships + 6 mk3 trader grade 25 to 13

Leeprosy
x2

Post by Leeprosy » Fri, 7. May 04, 11:30

Doesn't anyone find the ships a little unbalanced?
like an light fighter(m5) has no chance against a
heavy fighter(m3) but the m3 can easily take out
xenon k.
(was gonna buy a dragon for my first m6
but the osprey sounds more tempting now)

Darkireland
x2

Post by Darkireland » Fri, 7. May 04, 11:35

Leeprosy wrote:Doesn't anyone find the ships a little unbalanced?
No get the dragon its by FAR more fun to fly and is very powerful.Ospray is nice to have around when you have a lot of money roleing in its really just a system buster that doubles up as a over priced oss ship tbh.....Tis slow as well

|karus
x3

Post by |karus » Fri, 7. May 04, 12:11

Leeprosy wrote:(was gonna buy a dragon for my first m6
Only buy the Osprey if you think combat is boring and want it to be over asap without having to worry about thinking or dying.
Go with the Dragon, it's far more fun to fly. The Dragon can also clear sectors, it just takes more skill than in an Osprey.

Zathos
x3

Post by Zathos » Fri, 7. May 04, 12:26

If I want skillful flying I use my 'cuda...non of that wimpy rear turret missile defence Nova for me thank you very much.
..But when you have to 'pacify' the natives of Xenon space, 'relocate' a pirate base or remove npc competition you can't beat the Osprey :D
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will all say, we did this ourselves' - Lao Tse (circa 600 BC)

X-it
x3

Post by X-it » Fri, 7. May 04, 12:39

I bought my first Osprey yesterday and took it for a spin in Xenon 472. At first I headed straight for a K and got killed... :roll: I then started using the strafe drive, and I cleared the sector in about 30 minutes - including the shipyard and the other station. Great fun! Rank went from Ace 2nd 33% (have been increasing very, very slowly lately) to 68%.

I normally don't like shoot-em-up games, so for me this 'cheater ship' is just perfect. BSPGs in front and rear turrets ang GHEPTs in the rest and my finger on the strafe key, the Js and Ks went down like flies... :twisted: Now there is a long line of happy AI freighters that can move peacefully through the sector.

How long does it normally take for the shipyard to reappear, btw?
ASUS A8R32-MVP DELUXE
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.2 Ghz
OCZ 2048MB Dual Channel Platinum Edition RAM
WD Raptor X 150GB SATA 16MB 10000RPM
Radeon X1900XTX 512MB PCIe 16x
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Lian Li Miditower PC6070BSCAND w/Hiper R580W PSU
Win XP Pro SP2 w/MS dual-core CPU hotfix

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 7. May 04, 12:59

The Osprey turns faster than any other corvette (other than the Dragon), so comparing it to others for its manoeuvrability is not going to reduce any of the cries of "foul!". That's the reason I used one, in fact--it's actually possible to dogfight in an Osprey, and it's the only corvette you can really say that about; the Dragon's single forward gun and weak shielding make dogfighting chancy, because it's way too easy to ram the enemy and lose stuff in one, and the only other corvette with two forward guns (the Centaur) turns too slowly to fight well.

Zathos
x3

Post by Zathos » Fri, 7. May 04, 13:49

Have you also noticed that the Osprey is less prone to equipment loss through collisions with everything but M1 & M2s :D
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will all say, we did this ourselves' - Lao Tse (circa 600 BC)

Gazzareth
x2

Post by Gazzareth » Fri, 7. May 04, 13:54

I was assuming that was due to the third shield !!

simonnance
x3tc

Post by simonnance » Fri, 7. May 04, 14:19

teladi ships have more hull i think

thats the deciding factor for equipment loss IMHO
want the FACTS about X2/X3?
Usenko wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think animals have their place in the scheme of things. It's just that in the case of sheep, cattle and pigs, their place happens to be in neat pieces under the griller.:-)

The Jopp
x3tc

Post by The Jopp » Fri, 7. May 04, 15:00

pjknibbs wrote:The Osprey turns faster than any other corvette (other than the Dragon
Oh, I went with the "Steering" factor on http://argonopedia.ppcis.org/ships.php and it ha the lowest percentage of them all. Are those figures inaccurate?
"Boundless Human Stupidity" - CUBE

|karus
x3

Post by |karus » Fri, 7. May 04, 15:55

The Jopp wrote:
pjknibbs wrote:The Osprey turns faster than any other corvette (other than the Dragon
Oh, I went with the "Steering" factor on http://argonopedia.ppcis.org/ships.php and it ha the lowest percentage of them all. Are those figures inaccurate?
Yes they are, the real max steering factor is 14.49%.

FanaticChiken
x2

Post by FanaticChiken » Fri, 7. May 04, 17:55

Doesn't anyone find the ships a little unbalanced?
xenon k.

In the end its all about tactics and weapon choices. A single modern fighter (even some older) can sink a Carrer if it uses the right missile and stays undetected for long enaugh. This is eactly the reason big guns alwas have escords around them and clain a huge perimiter as their own. No ship is invulrnable, size matters very little in this respect.

The weapon choices of M5's are severly restricted by that class. No chance in hell are they gona have an easy time wearing down the shields of an M3 as the damage ratio of weapons just cant keep up with the shield power. Tak an M3, and there are way more powerful weapons available, be it mass drivers to bypass shield altogether of PSG/-B-HEPT. These weapons actulay do have a change against the massibly shielded M2's and M1's as the range of their weapons is better, and the damage they can do with them while still being bale to dogfight!

I am sure some experts on killing M2's will have further details, but IU dont find it unballanced. Not as long as it is unrealisticly easy due to some missing AI code to deal with strafe drives.

Damar Stiehl
x3

Post by Damar Stiehl » Fri, 7. May 04, 18:16

Leeprosy wrote:Doesn't anyone find the ships a little unbalanced?
xenon k.
Eh, you wouldn't bring a knife to a gunfight now would you?

That's as far as you can throw the M5 vs. M3. Try as you might you can't mount a 125mm cannon on a motorbike and take tanks out with it. But you can surely outrun and outmaneuver a tank on a motorbike.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”