Mining using Hornets!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CanadianBrit
x4

Mining using Hornets!

Post by CanadianBrit » Sat, 15. May 04, 20:30

Surprisingly, this is more profitable than you might think.

I was mining Moo-Kye's Revenge, using 50 hornets, a TL and 6 TS ships (ore collectors Fitted). I collcted 2300 ore and 1500 silicon, and if i was to sell it all at the prices my factories sell it (100 and 300 respectively) I make money.

So I started in the sector west of Ministry or Finance, and again using 30 hornets collected another small fortune.

In all I expended 75 hornets, at a total cost of <750,000cr and had mined in the two sectors a collective total of 1,525,000cr worth of product!!

CHAZZ
x3tc

Post by CHAZZ » Sat, 15. May 04, 20:35

The only 'problem' is that you end up with less ore/silicon if you bust roids with Hornets instead of using the Mo Dri System.
Plus, it actually nullifies the whole 'Ship-drilling-asteroids-with-drilling-equipment' feature, stripping away part of the game's fun. So, if you are having MORE fun that way, please, by all means, do it YOUR way.
My humble oppinion (for what it counts): its WRONG! :wink:
Chazz.

CanadianBrit
x4

Post by CanadianBrit » Sat, 15. May 04, 20:46

CHAZZ wrote:The only 'problem' is that you end up with less ore/silicon if you bust roids with Hornets instead of using the Mo Dri System.
Plus, it actually nullifies the whole 'Ship-drilling-asteroids-with-drilling-equipment' feature, stripping away part of the game's fun. So, if you are having MORE fun that way, please, by all means, do it YOUR way.
My humble oppinion (for what it counts): its WRONG! :wink:
Chazz.
Not saying my way was right but I love it this way and am having fun. Its quicker for a start and as I find you can lose a few fragments on destruction using a mining laser (the frags hit your ship and are lost) this way i can fire from 4km and be targeting the next by the first is destroyed!

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 15. May 04, 21:26

The roids will respawn, so no real loss of money. The only drawback are the costs for hornets, but you can collect them often for free in any pirate sector.

Cheers Euclid

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Sat, 15. May 04, 22:56

Hornets are free. Availble in all good pirate ships :)
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

cynric
x2

Post by cynric » Sun, 16. May 04, 01:57

build your own hornet missile loop
free hornets and you can even sell the surplus

IMHO it's the only way for mobile mining, once you get enough money to make it work.

You get less minerals this way (anyone knows some numbers?) but you can do it very fast, no more time consuming positioning of your ship, no risk of crashing into the asteroid. The range of the drilling laser should be doubled, to make it useful again. As it is, its just to annoying.

Xaragon
x2

Post by Xaragon » Sun, 16. May 04, 02:09

You can loose just as much yeild from a mining laser from the annoying "oops i should have stopped shooting" problem where you blow the 'roid and still have 6-7 shots going in.
The asteriods need to show how much "hull" they have left so you know when to stop shooting.

If you setup a hornet loop you get to kill a free asteroid every 6 mins. The surplus can be sold in a infinate number at certain places...(and its not a bug :!: )

Jha'dur
x2

About "free" hornets...

Post by Jha'dur » Sun, 16. May 04, 02:42

Any hornet (or any other piece of equipment) you possess can be sold, and using that hornet costs you money however you obtained it. As I see it finding them only halves the cost, it doesn't make it free.
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Sun, 16. May 04, 10:26

I've been mining with hornets for months, the difference in speed if you have a few ships collecting behind you is amazing.

time=money fella's and the 750k for the hornets is somewhat replaced by the time saved allowing you to do some bbs or such that take 2 mins :)

If you really want to make some cash get silicon fabs covering the entire universe, stock your ships and jump them remotley to stock the fabs as you mine more.
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

Jha'dur
x2

Post by Jha'dur » Sun, 16. May 04, 14:32

Does it really save that much time? Your gatherers can only gather that much in a certain time, and as long as I keep drilling up new asteroids as they gather the remains of the last ones, it's a continual process.

But hey, whatever floats your boats.
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”