Hornet missiles, not only for asteroid busting

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

gpz1100
x3

Hornet missiles, not only for asteroid busting

Post by gpz1100 » Sun, 16. May 04, 12:29

Found a little trick with hornet missiles. You can take out much more heavily armoured ships than the one your flying in with this trick.
The hornet is very powerfull but also very slow so almost anything can avoid it but try this. From about 3/4 k out shoot a Hornet at your target. Then fly infront of the hornet until just before impace. The target doesn't react to the hornet and heads straight for you. One your gone it's too late to avoid the hornet. BOOM!

Cheers

GPZ

Pyre
x3ap

Post by Pyre » Sun, 16. May 04, 13:08

Hmm, but if they fire a shot at you, and miss, they will detonate the hornet.

One of the things with this game, any sh in the general direction of a missle will blast it out of the sky.

Novel trick though, although i hope missles dont have friendly fire, because one mistake... and BOOM
:P

gpz1100
x3

Post by gpz1100 » Sun, 16. May 04, 15:57

Pyre wrote:Hmm, but if they fire a shot at you, and miss, they will detonate the hornet.

One of the things with this game, any sh in the general direction of a missle will blast it out of the sky.

Novel trick though, although i hope missles dont have friendly fire, because one mistake... and BOOM
:P
Not happened yet. I've taken out the AI centaur in Argon Prime with this method. Haven't tried it with the Khaak M2's yet though.

BTW I mentioned another trick last week about arming the Boron M2 with ID's all round while I take hulls down to 87% in the Nova. This works a treat. I park the M2 (sorry can't remember the name. shark or something)
about 10k out from a pirate base then jump in the Nova and attack the base. Get the hulls of all the defending ships below 87% and then head back to the M2. Jump in the M2 and tell the turrets to attack all enemies with the ID's. You have to have stay still or the pirates bump into you and blow up but this method allows me to capture pirates while I do other stuff around my empire.

Cheers

GPZ

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 16. May 04, 18:55

Dunno if it still works in X2, but the favoured way to take down Xenon capital ships in X-Tension was to use their speed against them. Get in front of them and wait until they've closed to around 10km, then launch a bunch of Hornets at them. The Hornets are slow, but the Xenon ship is fast and so it runs onto the Hornets and gets blown up.

With Hornets not being as powerful in X2 this might not work as well, though!

cynric
x2

Re: Hornet missiles, not only for asteroid busting

Post by cynric » Sun, 16. May 04, 20:06

gpz1100 wrote:Found a little trick with hornet missiles. You can take out much more heavily armoured ships than the one your flying in with this trick.
The hornet is very powerfull but also very slow so almost anything can avoid it but try this. From about 3/4 k out shoot a Hornet at your target. Then fly infront of the hornet until just before impace. The target doesn't react to the hornet and heads straight for you. One your gone it's too late to avoid the hornet. BOOM!

Cheers

GPZ
why fly infront of the hornet, when you could release it at the last second?

gpz1100
x3

Re: Hornet missiles, not only for asteroid busting

Post by gpz1100 » Mon, 17. May 04, 01:02

cynric wrote:
gpz1100 wrote:Found a little trick with hornet missiles. You can take out much more heavily armoured ships than the one your flying in with this trick.

Cheers

GPZ
why fly infront of the hornet, when you could release it at the last second?
Because the target will react to the greatest threat and that will be you. Even when you move the target will follow you not try to avoid the missile.
If you fire a missile at close range the target will still avoid it because it becomes the greatest threat.

Bowak
x3tc

Post by Bowak » Mon, 17. May 04, 02:26

That's a great idea. It'll be good fun trying to stay just in front of the Hornet. It should be entered in the X2 X-Games!
Bowak
1 TL, 1M6, 3M3s + others The UNCC

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”