Argonopedia access

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Brianetta
x4

Argonopedia access

Post by Brianetta » Sat, 22. May 04, 21:15

I'd have put this on the Argonopedia news page, but those affected won't be able to see it, and there are enough Argonopedia users here that I thought I'd tell it here.

The bandwidth use of the Argonopedia is almost unaffordably high. I can pay the surcharges no problem, but it's my money, and I'd rather buy clothes or food with it.

Most users use the Argonopedia responsibly, but there are a bunch who try to take an off-line mirror of the entire site. For those who take the entire site, this amounts to hundreds of megabytes of data.

People who attempt to mirror (that is, download for offline perusal) the entire site have their IP banned. This has always been the case, but now the number of bans is continually increasing - and will get worse, because I'm also banning users who use Internet Explorer's "Make available offline" feature.

If you have been banned, and would like to be removed from the ban list, please email me (email address is on my profile) with your IP address, or that of the cache you are using. I will remove bans on request, but be warned, I won't be lenient with repeat offenders.

If you're not at fault, but appear banned anyway, its likely your ISP's cacheing proxy is banned. Please get in touch, same procedure as above.

Apologies for any inconvenience, but it's a money thing.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

Jha'dur
x2

Post by Jha'dur » Sat, 22. May 04, 21:37

I'll just add my full support here, for whatever it's worth. The Argonopedia is invaluable, and there should be no leniency for costing you extra money.
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Drazi1
x3

Post by Drazi1 » Sat, 22. May 04, 23:34

I agree , i just hope you can sort this mess out, because the pedia is a valuable resource thats saddly being abused by a few peeps that simply don't care wot happens to the others.

:cry:

(/\)arped
x4

Post by (/\)arped » Sat, 22. May 04, 23:39

The bandwidth use of the Argonopedia is almost unaffordably high.
I've only occasionally used the Argonopedia site, and am not quite sure what you mean. Please explain.

Thanks in advance

Drazi1
x3

Post by Drazi1 » Sat, 22. May 04, 23:43

Think the first post means that some people have tried to download the argonpedia site , thus pushing up the bandwithe charges for the site owner. Since it's a free site , the owner has to cough up for all the excess charges, which i think its totally infair to the owner

Correct me if i am wrong

The_Rock
x2

Post by The_Rock » Sat, 22. May 04, 23:45

Jha'dur wrote:I'll just add my full support here, for whatever it's worth. The Argonopedia is invaluable, and there should be no leniency for costing you extra money.
Ditto.
"How very touching his meaningless death was. But this fight was never for mortals".

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Sun, 23. May 04, 00:26

Jack, Drazi1 is right. When people use the Argonopedia (which is hosted on a server which is my own personal property) they use my bandwidth. That's the nature of a web server, and usually the usage falls well witin the quotas paid for by me.

Unfortunately, when people decide they'd like an off-line copy, they end up pulling a couple of hundred megabytes of data from my server in one or two sittings. When twenty visitors do this in a month, it doubles the amount of traffic generated by the other 50,000 visitors that month, and when I go over my bandwidth quota, my ISP wants more money from me.

I will not pull the Argonopedia from the server. It's too valuable. I will, however, happily exclude people who abuse it. I've seen people mark it for use offline, I've seen people use mirroring tools like Teleport Pro and HTTracker.

So far, 107 IP addresses have been banned. All they get is a terse little page telling them of that fact, and no access to database or forum.

To all:
Let me reiterate; if you've been banned from the Argonopedia, and want to access the site, please get in touch by email with your IP address. I won't shout at you, I'll just expect you not to try mirroring the site again, and I will remove your IP address from the ban list.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

JonHandby
xr

Post by JonHandby » Sun, 23. May 04, 00:43

As original creator of the Argonopedia i should also add my note.

It's not worth downloading the site as it is being updated all the time. So as soon as you download it, it will be out of date.

I am already looking at adding new sections soon and new ways to view the data currently there - including overview pages for all wares or upgrades etc.

As well as brand new pages.
I won't go into them until i have finished them ;)

But as Brian said, please do not download the site.

Storm666
x3tc

Post by Storm666 » Sun, 23. May 04, 00:51

You got my support mate.
its a good site
its your money, your bandwidth... so therefore your rules!!! (and they are fair)

good luck with the future :)

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Sun, 23. May 04, 00:57

I hate when people abuse the bandwidth of valuable internet resources, driving up the owner's payment and potentially shutting it down. It's my only, and best source for X2 information, and I love it. Without it, I would have had a hard time figuring out what to give my ships and what ships to buy.
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

NeckCuttah
x3tc

Post by NeckCuttah » Sun, 23. May 04, 00:59

Idea. Password protect it. Force everybody to log on and get a username and password. Then limit the data access based on permission rights. Either that or load it up with SPAM and popups like everybody else does to help cover the costs. Personally I think I've visited the site a few times and was unable to locate the information I was looking for. Got it from the forum here. I feel your pain with the duckets, but it's hard to explain to "Joe Sixpack" the ins and outs of data transferral and the fees that lie therein. You may be in for a bit of a headache (IMHO) trying to get folks to follow these guidelines. Good luck with the site. Hope it doesn't cost too much in the end. We need our Pepsi and Ho Ho's to keep fueled for gaming. Hrmm, Pepsi or website. Decisions decisions. I would have to go with Pepsi. :D
I sure do like biscuits

gdawson
x3

Post by gdawson » Sun, 23. May 04, 01:20

Not knowing any details of your bandwidth costs, I'd like to suggest you provide an opportunity for site visitors to easily donate money in order that it be kept alive.

If you get around 10% of all your regular visitors prepared to donate a small amount, I'm sure it would add up. Work out what donation you'd need assuming a small amount from people and give them the option.

It might be a bit of hassle to set up, but I'd be happy to give a little if I thought plenty of others were doing the same and ensuring the future for such a wonderful source of information.

Perhaps I'm over reacting a little, but between all the users of the site it wouldn't cost much, and this takes the financial burden away from Brianetta.

I know the real issue is people trying to download it, which is just wrong, but I think this could be a good idea and help fund hardware and software for the server as well...

What do you think guys? Would you be prepared to give?

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Sun, 23. May 04, 01:33

My parents would never pay 10 bucks monthly for an MMOG, let alone a donation to a source of game info...Although it strikes me as a bit odd, we already pay hundreds of dollars, if not thousands in bills every month, like everyone else, so what's $10?... Maybe it's because my parents are...thrifty...They try to stick to comfort, but at the same time the essentials, basically whatever benefits everyone in the family, since I don't exactly have an income. And when I pay my dad back, he says it's like he has a "disposable income," since I get all my money from chores.
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

JonHandby
xr

Post by JonHandby » Sun, 23. May 04, 02:01

gdawson wrote:Not knowing any details of your bandwidth costs, I'd like to suggest you provide an opportunity for site visitors to easily donate money in order that it be kept alive.

If you get around 10% of all your regular visitors prepared to donate a small amount, I'm sure it would add up. Work out what donation you'd need assuming a small amount from people and give them the option.

It might be a bit of hassle to set up, but I'd be happy to give a little if I thought plenty of others were doing the same and ensuring the future for such a wonderful source of information.

Perhaps I'm over reacting a little, but between all the users of the site it wouldn't cost much, and this takes the financial burden away from Brianetta.

I know the real issue is people trying to download it, which is just wrong, but I think this could be a good idea and help fund hardware and software for the server as well...

What do you think guys? Would you be prepared to give?
We actually do have a paypal donate button located at the bottom of every page.
Its the main argonopedia footer image in the database itself (not the forum - that leads to phpBB)

--------

I notcied someone said they couldnt find info on what they were looking for?
What as it? and have you looked recently? I spent about 2 weeks non stop about a month ago adding in a shed load of data including map data for all 3 games and station production data for X2 and XTension.

So we do actualy have the bulk of the game data in the argonopedia.

Jon

NeckCuttah
x3tc

Post by NeckCuttah » Sun, 23. May 04, 02:10

Hey Jon. Know this is a bit OT but since you asked, heh, and I kinda have your ear ...
What I was looking for was a list of sorts. Not a list of the ships, but more of the rankings. Like the specific race rankings. (ex. Boron Queens Knight). I was wondering what levels there were and if I had gotten to the top of some of them. That was what I was looking for and didn't have any luck in my searches. It's probably there somewhere. I'm still kind of wondering ... :roll: But have restarted again at this point so it will be awhile before my race rankings come into play.

Thanx tons my friend.
I sure do like biscuits

JonHandby
xr

Post by JonHandby » Sun, 23. May 04, 02:14

We do have them, just i havent implemented them yet. I have a list of things that i have todo. At the moment im working on making sure the data entered to now in correct and makes sence. as well as making sure the data is shown in a uniform way. Hense why all the pages look alike.

But, the rankings are something i want to get onto the 'pedia as soon as i can.

simonnance
x3tc

Post by simonnance » Sun, 23. May 04, 02:17

guys, you have my complete support, the number of times i have used Argonopedia, or recomended it to other forum users is uncountable.

I agree that so much is being updated, i love the reccent additions, the hazard assessment, the mineral resuorces, and i expect more suprises are on the way.

It is intolerable ethat ppl have been abusing the trust you place in us, i neve crossed my mind that i should download the whole site, and i can understand the difficulty that has caused.

I also hope the persons banned have figured out the risk they put you into, and the cost that losing Argonopedia would be. I think it generous that you are offering them a chance to access the site again.

BTW keep up the good work guys!
want the FACTS about X2/X3?
Usenko wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think animals have their place in the scheme of things. It's just that in the case of sheep, cattle and pigs, their place happens to be in neat pieces under the griller.:-)

NeckCuttah
x3tc

Post by NeckCuttah » Sun, 23. May 04, 02:18

ROCK!
I sure do like biscuits

JonHandby
xr

Post by JonHandby » Sun, 23. May 04, 02:24

Oh there are <B>always</b> new things being added or new ways to view them.

Example is something we call the comparison charts. These will soon be availiable to the wares/upgrades/weapons pages. Mainly so you have have a quick view of all the wares instead of viewing them one by one.

Hopefully this should be implemented soon.
I am also working on changes to other pages and I am thinking about adding new options to the map.

simonnance
x3tc

Post by simonnance » Sun, 23. May 04, 02:26

i will echo NeckCuttah

ROCK!!!
want the FACTS about X2/X3?
Usenko wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think animals have their place in the scheme of things. It's just that in the case of sheep, cattle and pigs, their place happens to be in neat pieces under the griller.:-)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”