mass drivers and capturing

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Seawolfe
x3tc

mass drivers and capturing

Post by Seawolfe » Mon, 7. Jun 04, 17:04

I've seen topics about mass drivers before but none has ever talked about how effective the mass driver might be in capturing (that I can remember) .. anyone use em as part of their tactics at all?

I guess what I really am trying to find out is if you have to dump shields down to get a ship to surrender.
Seawolfe

-------------

"Consequences, shmonsequences, as long as I'm rich" - Daffy Duck

JTressy
x3

Post by JTressy » Mon, 7. Jun 04, 17:06

They're useful to get the hull to exactly 87%, but you will still have to take down their shields before they think about handing over their (almost) pristine ship
Core 2 Duo E6420 - 2.13GHz
Sparkle X1950XT PCI-E 256MB
2GB PC5300 CL5
ASRock PT880 Ultra ATX
WD 200GB SATA
Win XP Pro

Jonnyx
x4

Post by Jonnyx » Mon, 7. Jun 04, 17:07

the key is getting the hull down to 87% or less - which makes the mass driver pretty effective. Once you hit 87% there is a random chance the pilot will bail.

If you then use another weapon to keep hitting the shields eventually the pilot will jump.

there is a good guide to capping written by Al - if you do a search for capturing you'll find it

Betrayal
x2

Post by Betrayal » Mon, 7. Jun 04, 17:22

Ive tried chasing an Orinoco with a mass driver and it didnt seem to do much damage. Seemed like a waste of time to me?

I just use lasers, if they dont bail after about 30secs, kill em and find another. I dont think I could chase a ship around for half an hour. Three ahepts on a per's is more than enough to scare the s**t out of any pirate.

Maybe im impatient but if you chase a ship for ages there is still no way of knowing weather he's so high on a mixture of fuel and weed that he thinks he's unstopable!!

kinein
x2

Post by kinein » Mon, 7. Jun 04, 17:28

There are many ways to capture. Some people don't believe in capturing period. Mass Drivers are a very acceptable method of precision capturing if you demand 87% hull that is :)

Some people like myself might spend 30-50 minutes per capture because we are that stubborn / patient. Others can't wait more then 3 seconds :)

If your patient or a perfectionist MD would be your choice if you wanted to get to 87% instead of HEPTING your way thru shields and twisted metal trying to force them to surrender by brute force.

Many other methods tho. Many.
X-Treme ^_^

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”