!.4 further update - interview with Apoch - Xenon Invasion

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

The_Abyss
x3

!.4 further update - interview with Apoch - Xenon Invasion

Post by The_Abyss » Wed, 9. Jun 04, 23:36

Without bruising the NDA too much, we have moved on a little bit since here, although of course Egosoft do not want to spoil anything too much.

Needless to say, as you've all read, there are a few modifications coming to X² in update 1.4 (before the inevitable posts arrive, the release date is soon :wink: ). Egosoft have looked at all manner of things, from players requests to bug fixes. Behind the scenes however are a lot of unpaid developers working for you guys.

Apoch is one of these, and you will be seeing significantly more of his work coming up in 1.4. Apoch either loves the Xenon or hates then (why didn't I ask that question :roll: ) and I managed to track him down before he took a well-deseerved break:

Apoch Interview

Abyss: Hi Apoch. Thanks for taking the time to spare us a few words.

Apoch: No problem - always glad to help.

Abyss: Can you give us some of your background, to both programming and computing?

Apoch: I've been working with computers since an early age, nearly 12 years now. Ever since I started I've wanted to get involved in a game project of some sort. It took several years of writing business software and websites, but here I am!

Abyss: How much time do you actually spend as a player in X²?

Apoch: Currently I play about 5 hours a week as an actual player, but I hope to change that with the release of upcoming updates to X2.

Abyss: And the obviosu one next - how much time do you spend working on it? ;)

Apoch: A lot more than I do playing ;-) Generally 4-5 hours a day is my average, mixed in with my less entertaining jobs.

Abyss: So, how did you get involved with the X Universe?

Apoch: I found a copy of XBTF on sale in a department store about 3 years ago I guess it was. I started playing and was instantly hooked. After a while I decided to check out this little "Egosoft" place and see what their web site was like. Eventually I stumbled across DevNet, and the chance to be a part of X2's development was too good to pass up.

Abyss: What have you worked on so far in X² (pre 1.4 that is)

Apoch: My main area pre 1.4 has been BBS missions, particularly the 'find some guy and kill him' mission, which goes by various names (assassination, bounty hunting, etc.) I also chipped in minor contributions in other missions but the assassination mission is my main work pre 1.4. I've worked on some very exciting new content for 1.4 and some other things for the future, but I won't ruin the surprises...

Abyss: What's your favourite thing about X²? Is it a particular ship design, a mission, the 'sand box' gameplay, the fact that your name is in the credits?

Apoch: Well I am human so of course I like being mentioned in the credits, but to be honest that is just an added bonus for me. I enjoy X2 simply for its vision of a totally free and living universe, and the
dedication that Egosoft has shown to maintaining the X universe.

Abyss: What tactic do you use as a favourite in X², bearing in mind I stick to mobile mining as my combat skills can sometimes be found - er - wanting!?

Apoch: I have many different tactics depending on the situation. Some of them I developed especially while working on 1.4, but again I won't ruin the surprise. I will just say that I enjoy being devious with large warships, especially baiting an enemy with a small ship (M4/M5) and leading them into a nasty trap.

Abyss: I'll have to try that one. So, down to the juicy stuff and the main reason you're here. I know you are working on something special for the 1.4 update. Can you tell us a little more about it?

Apoch: My biggest project for 1.4 is a new mission involving massive (and I do mean MASSIVE) capital warship battles).

Abyss: Wow. I've played it, so for those who are waiting, can you give us some more information?

Apoch: Well, without ruining the surprise, players who hang around in frontier sectors will feel a lot more threatened than ever before. Some sinister things are developing in the X universe, and the future may be very bleak.

Abyss: So, as someone who mostly makes a living out of not shooting things other than asteroids, should I avoid this?

Apoch: Yes!

Abyss: OK, so I was joking. As a combat god, should I still be scared?

Apoch: Yes, you should. Things are a little different now ;-)

Abyss: Apoch, thank you very much for your time - it is much appreciated. Now, on to the questions that the community always ask and are the most important ;)

Apoch: Fire away.

Abyss: What PC do you run?

Apoch: My main system is a custom-built system with an Athlon 2400, 512 MB DDR300, GF4 Ti4800, and several hard drives for all my various files.

Abyss: What do you eat for breakfast - it is the meal of champions after all...?

Apoch: Actually I don't eat breakfast. I prefer to be asleep during that time of the day.

Abyss: What is your favourite music?

Apoch: Trance, particularly the Goa vintage. Astral Projection is
probably my favorite group.

Abyss: Surfing or skiing?

Apoch: Biking, actually, or golf if the weather is good.

Abyss: How many times a week do you eat piiza?

Apoch: As many as possible!

Abyss: And the favourite topping?

Apoch: Pepperoni, naturally.

Abyss: Thank you for taking the time to chat, and thanks to Egosoft for allowing this little bit of 1.4 to be revealed.

Apoch: My pleasure. I think everyone will find 1.4 to be most delightful
Last edited by The_Abyss on Wed, 9. Jun 04, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

Snake Sanke
x3

Post by Snake Sanke » Wed, 9. Jun 04, 23:40

Not much info but sounds interesting :)
Mate, this Dolphin wouldn't "voom" if you put four million volts through it!

Rushyo
x3

Post by Rushyo » Wed, 9. Jun 04, 23:40

soon(tm)

i'll leave you with that thought.
x Danny x and x ShadowElle x
Games Engine Developer, Level Designer, 3dsMax Modeller + Web Developer
Currently attaining a BSc in Games Programming
PC1 - Athlon 64 3k+, 256mb x850PRO 1000mhz+ clock, 2gb DDR400 RAM
PC2 - Athlon XP 2k+, 256mb 6600 700mhz+ clock, 1gb DDR400 RAM

DrCBVI
x2

Re: !.4 further update - interview with Apoch

Post by DrCBVI » Wed, 9. Jun 04, 23:40

The_Abyss wrote: Abyss: How many times a week do you eat piiza?

Apoch: As many as possible!

Abyss: And the favourite topping?

Apoch: Pepperoni, naturally.
Just goes to show he is like one of us, really. :lol:

Darn, now I don't know, I'm even more anxious for the patch...
"I always loved saying 'space time condominium'." - Patrick Stewart.

Martin2k4

Post by Martin2k4 » Wed, 9. Jun 04, 23:49

Hmm, he's into trance, biking and he skips breakfasts (3 things that i do aswell..) However, i don't like pizza..

:? :? :? wondering why i'm even posting this.. :? :? :?

Zathos
x3

Post by Zathos » Wed, 9. Jun 04, 23:49

I was starting to get the ichy feeling that would lead to my inevitable return to FPS...and the eight FPS games still in the packaging gathering dust since I loaded X2....
..but the promise of more sinister combat has reduced the itch for now.. :D

Now all I need to do is achieve AoA1 and cap a few K's before 1.4 nerfs my Khaak free world :lol:
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will all say, we did this ourselves' - Lao Tse (circa 600 BC)

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Wed, 9. Jun 04, 23:52

Yay, now we have reasons to buy M2's, M1's, and M6's! Hopefully, the M1s' docking bays will either be more rapid launching or there will be more of them now.
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Wed, 9. Jun 04, 23:53

Did I mention the mission is "Xenon Invasion"? No?

Sorry, I must have forgotten :wink:
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

Zathos
x3

Post by Zathos » Wed, 9. Jun 04, 23:56

The_Abyss wrote:Did I mention the mission is "Xenon Invasion"? No?

Sorry, I must have forgotten :wink:
Stop it...you are making me drool
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will all say, we did this ourselves' - Lao Tse (circa 600 BC)

simonnance
x3tc

Post by simonnance » Wed, 9. Jun 04, 23:58

eek, my 26 factory loop in Omicron Lyre will not be the safest thing in the world then.... :(

ah well lucky i restarted for 1.4 anyhow :P
want the FACTS about X2/X3?
Usenko wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think animals have their place in the scheme of things. It's just that in the case of sheep, cattle and pigs, their place happens to be in neat pieces under the griller.:-)

Snake Sanke
x3

Post by Snake Sanke » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 00:00

I guess I'd better get something bigger than a Nova :o
Mate, this Dolphin wouldn't "voom" if you put four million volts through it!

canazza
x4

Post by canazza » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 00:03

If the mission is going to be Xenon Invasion... will that mean a mission or two added on to the plot to explain WHY the xenon are invading or is that just wishful thinking?
--==Dave Canazza==--
Far Star: Terran Sabre (M4)

DrCBVI
x2

Post by DrCBVI » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 00:07

canazza wrote:will that mean a mission or two added on to the plot to explain WHY the xenon are invading or is that just wishful thinking?
The Xenon's motives were in the last X games, basically they're terraformers with attitude. Sent by Earth.

The Khaak I'd like to know more about, but I'm guessing that's for the expansion.

canazza
x4

Post by canazza » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 00:09

actually, i meant as to why the Xenon were so calm but are now bad ass mofos... as it were.
--==Dave Canazza==--
Far Star: Terran Sabre (M4)

Battle Pope
x2

Post by Battle Pope » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 00:10

Maybe there will be enough improvement in 1.4 to tear me away from CoH long enough to play it!

Face it folks - I haven't even played the game in several months due to the incessant CTDs!
Founder and CEO of the IBF - International Brotherhood of Facebeaters!

DrCBVI
x2

Post by DrCBVI » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 00:11

canazza wrote:actually, i meant as to why the Xenon were so calm but are now bad ass mofos... as it were.
Hmm, might just be following their protocols. They're just held in their sectors by the surrounding capital ships (although, technically, they do make mini incursions to try and get to each Xenon sector). *shrug*

humility925
x4

Post by humility925 » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 00:22

The_Abyss, You forgot the most important thing to ask him "When the patch 1.4 come out?" :shock:

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 00:58

DrCBVI wrote:
canazza wrote:actually, i meant as to why the Xenon were so calm but are now bad ass mofos... as it were.
Hmm, might just be following their protocols. They're just held in their sectors by the surrounding capital ships (although, technically, they do make mini incursions to try and get to each Xenon sector). *shrug*
Obviously they've been regrouping after Brennan handed their silicon arses to them on a plate a few Jazura ago. Now that he's out of the picture they obviously feel safer.

Ravenlord
x2

Post by Ravenlord » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 01:02

the xenon have always been badass yup just dont see it. i mean you dont see any massive argon fleets any where but they must exist right ? and if i can make a impresive battle fleet out of cappedKs then they must have ships to spare.
manganate
Ace of aces 1st grade

Author of the 2rd most poular capping guide on the forum, with almost 9500 veiws and counting
check it out here
My guide to capping Ks

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 01:07

been looking forward to this update for a while now but if its going to turn the game into a massive shoot-em-up then I probably won't bother with it

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”