mass drivers

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

snafu
x3

mass drivers

Post by snafu » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 17:25

what the point in buying mass drivers are they good for capturing

Wolfkin
x3tc

Post by Wolfkin » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 17:26

Not really, but they do hull damage while ignoring the shields :)

simonnance
x3tc

Post by simonnance » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 17:26

ignore sheilds, fire quick, high projectile speed.

good for:
acurate 87% capping
missile defence (rear turret of Nova for example)
Anti-Khaak (they have low hull values)
want the FACTS about X2/X3?
Usenko wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think animals have their place in the scheme of things. It's just that in the case of sheep, cattle and pigs, their place happens to be in neat pieces under the griller.:-)

Betrayal
x2

Post by Betrayal » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 17:30

Massdrivers are very good at wasting money + cargo space!

Just my opinion.

snafu
x3

Post by snafu » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 18:07

thougth they where a waste of money

Warpedshark
x2

Post by Warpedshark » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 20:55

Aragh you dare call the Mass Driver a waste of money...
As simonnance said:

They alow you too get 87% caps, therefore ensuring that you get he biggest return for your captured ships.

Missile defence - fast muzle velocity and rate of fire will slice through a missile very quickly which means that multiple incoming missiles will be stoped just as easily.

Anti Khaak - well this is somewhat true for the Medium speed M5 one. The very fast ones a wasp will do and the slow ones you can track with ease (unless you are trying to dog fight in a hydra)

Ammo can be regularly found in secret containers adding to the joy.

I like them so much I built an Ammo fab in CBSE. It buys off of me at full price, I buy it back in a Pirate Ts at average price and transport back to my Ammo fact for resale.
Attention all planets of the Solar Federation.
We have assumed control.
We have assumed control.
We have assumed control.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 21:27

Anti Khaak - well this is somewhat true for the Medium speed M5 one. The very fast ones a wasp will do and the slow ones you can track with ease (unless you are trying to dog fight in a hydra)
A Wasp can't keep up with the very fast Khaak M5, or even the very fast Xenon M5. The mass driver is ideal for killing these ships.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

canazza
x4

Post by canazza » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 21:29

Nanook wrote:
A Wasp can't keep up with the very fast Khaak M5, or even the very fast Xenon M5. The mass driver is ideal for killing these ships.
no, twin BHepts are. One direct hit and they're practically toast. If you can't stay on the tail of a Khaak M5, even in a nova, for long enough to let off two shots you're sorely lacking talent, no offence intended
--==Dave Canazza==--
Far Star: Terran Sabre (M4)

th0ne
x3

Post by th0ne » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 21:34

dont argue just BUYE MASS DRIVERS they are clearly the best gun of their type (q small, and projectile rather than blast radius like PSG's) and are unstopable against kahak u can mow them down in seconds!! (admitedly gamma HEPT's may have the upper hand but theyr not exactly cheap are they?)
--SLAVERY IS FREEDOME--
--WAR IS PEACE--

th0ne
x3

Post by th0ne » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 21:38

ok i just cheked some stats on weapons and wish 2 withdraw my former comment and say that gamma/beta HEPT's do apere to be better then MD's, well from what i saw, im actualy doubting Y i bought 5 MD's for my Dragon! plz some2 help me regain my faith!!
--SLAVERY IS FREEDOME--
--WAR IS PEACE--

Shifty

Post by Shifty » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 21:38

Snafu are you the Darkspace [PB]Snafu?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 21:44

canazza wrote:
Nanook wrote:
no, twin BHepts are. One direct hit and they're practically toast. If you can't stay on the tail of a Khaak M5, even in a nova, for long enough to let off two shots you're sorely lacking talent, no offence intended
Sorry, but this is idiot-speak, no offence intended. :P

A BHEPT bullet can barely even keep up with the fastest Khaak M5's. And as for hitting it with two rounds in succession in a Nova, maybe, if you work hard enough at it. But I come from the school of 'never give a sucker a break'. Which means, I use the best weapon at my disposal to kill as quickly as possible. And that's the MD, IMHO. My Nova tactic is to close with the cluster, hit the M3 with twin Ion D's followed by twin BHEPT's and then switch to MD's for the M5's. I'll bet I can clear a cluster a whole lot faster than you if you try to stick to just BHEPT's. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

canazza
x4

Post by canazza » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 21:51

th0ne wrote:dont argue just BUYE MASS DRIVERS they are clearly the best gun of their type (q small, and projectile rather than blast radius like PSG's) and are unstopable against kahak u can mow them down in seconds!! (admitedly gamma HEPT's may have the upper hand but theyr not exactly cheap are they?)
GHEPTS are cheaper in the long run, you don't have to keep buying ammo for them, and you won't run out in the middle of a battle (if you havn't been checking up on em)

My Nova tactic is to close with the cluster, hit the M3 with twin Ion D's followed by twin BHEPT's and then switch to MD's for the M5's. I'll bet I can clear a cluster a whole lot faster than you if you try to stick to just BHEPT's.
probably, but i've never killed a sodding thing with mass drivers.
--==Dave Canazza==--
Far Star: Terran Sabre (M4)

th0ne
x3

Post by th0ne » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 22:16

lol although i HAVE killed over 20 kahak clusters with my trusty MD's, and i never run out of ammo cozz at the begginging i though that each crate was 1 round so i bought over 600 of them only 2 discover that each has 200 rounds lmao, i still have about 500 crates left and im realy not getting low! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh 1 q i would like 2 ask 2 the MD experts, does it slow down a bit 2 re-load, i havnt noticed, but i've been slightly distracted by hords of kahak :-D
--SLAVERY IS FREEDOME--
--WAR IS PEACE--

razorhead
x4

Post by razorhead » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 22:20

Tought, thnx to them i killed 2 k's and a J with a mamba :D

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Thu, 10. Jun 04, 23:23

There is nothing better than Mass Drivers for killing khaak, doing precision capturing, and missile defense. Khaak have weak hulls, so they're chewed up pretty fast. MD's don't do much damage per hit but fire very fast and almost never miss, so can be used like a scalpel on the hull for capping. As missile defense, missiles are blown up in 1 hit by anything, and MD's are the most accurate and fastest moving weapons in the game hands down.
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

Momaw
x3tc

Post by Momaw » Fri, 11. Jun 04, 08:03

I have not noticed that MD's slow down or pause to reload. I imagine that they're self-linking belts and once you shove them into your cargo bay they become one long continuous belt, or perhaps a hopper system where it just empties a new crate into the top before all the rounds are gone from the bottom.

As far as the cost of ammunition, it's inconsequential. If you can sell a 87% hulled ship for 300,000 credits, and each crate of ammo is only, what, 1,500 credits...

Really, you can support a mass-driver addiction just from the missiles and cargo you scavenge after a fight.
Patient of the Mad Goner asylum for the mentally extravagant

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”