My beta testing woes...

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Brianetta
x4

My beta testing woes...

Post by Brianetta » Wed, 30. Jun 04, 13:24

Just to take the edge off the wait a bit. Don't expect any new patch information in this post, I'm unable to disclose that stuff.

I'm having a really hard time in 1.4 (beta). Never in all my Xing years have I seen so many "Game Over" signs. I just keep on getting my arse handed to me on a plate.

There was this Khaak cluster. I went to kill it a bit, but the M3 took exception to me shooting it from behind, and blew my Scorpion up.

I tried again. Different cluster, in a Nova. I died again, because my wingmen were busy with an M5 instead of the M3 (oh yes, wingmen are suddenly a good idea).

Later in the game, whilst flying my TL around, I managed to prang it on an asteroid. I mean, come on! I'm jinxed. It's amazing how fast and thoroughly those things will hole your hull.

Eventually, I decide to try attacking pirates. They're usually friendly. I plunge in with my Nova, with two wingmen, and even order my TL to engage with covering fire. Naturally, I only discover that my 303m/s Elephant has targetted the same pirate as me when said TL rear-ends me, killing me quite convincingly.

I've managed to accidentally (and manually) collide with the M6 in Argon Prime, too, and so the place is a total no-go area, and every time I approach a gate I seem to get a faceful of exiting TS.

I'm just not being lucky. Naturally, the rest of the testers are doing fine, so it's definitely just me... I've had such a malcoordinated week.

Oh, by the way, 1.4 is so worth the wait. Assuming that, unlike me, you are capable of such simple tasks as avoiding planets, etc, as you fly about a sector.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

Lutzie
x2

Post by Lutzie » Wed, 30. Jun 04, 13:26

I've never figured out how to use Wingmen... perhaps I should learn... ;)
People, LEARN:

Lose: To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; for example: He's always losing his money.
Loose: Not fastened or restrained; for example: Loose papers

Risky
xr

Post by Risky » Wed, 30. Jun 04, 13:28

Sounds like fun. Don't worry I'm sure I'll find even more ways to dispose of myself without troubling the enemy too much!

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Wed, 30. Jun 04, 13:32

The AI is much better. In 1.3 I can take out a cluster using just a Scorpion, if I don't lose concentration even once. I'd hind behind the engines of the M3 (an excellent shield) whilst sniping at the M5s with mass drivers. Eventually, there would be none left, and it's pretty trivial killing a lone M3 from behind, even in an M4.

I'm having to learn new fighting techniques in 1.4 - that Khaak cluster won't allw me to get that close to the M3 without being toasted any more, and if you interrupt a ship that's busy with another target, you'll like as not find that it transfers its attention to you. In the case of a KM3 versus a Scorpion, that transfer of attention is fleeting at best. Game over.

gdawson
x3

Post by gdawson » Wed, 30. Jun 04, 13:53

If an experienced player like yourself is having troubles, I'm going to be toast. :)

Thanks for the warning!

clayb8976
x2

Post by clayb8976 » Wed, 30. Jun 04, 14:33

Hmmm, could be a good thing I guess - unless egosoft has made combat too difficult. I realize the AI needs a lot of improvement, especially the raming thing...I just hope egosoft doesn't use overkill and make combat so hard its no longer enjoyable or near impossible to cap a ship. Just my view.

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Wed, 30. Jun 04, 14:39

clayb8976 wrote:Hmmm, could be a good thing I guess - unless egosoft has made combat too difficult. I realize the AI needs a lot of improvement, especially the raming thing...I just hope egosoft doesn't use overkill and make combat so hard its no longer enjoyable or near impossible to cap a ship. Just my view.
It's fun.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Wed, 30. Jun 04, 14:39

you can't have it good all the time can you :)

Lutzie
x2

Post by Lutzie » Wed, 30. Jun 04, 14:48

Brianetta wrote:
clayb8976 wrote:Hmmm, could be a good thing I guess - unless egosoft has made combat too difficult. I realize the AI needs a lot of improvement, especially the raming thing...I just hope egosoft doesn't use overkill and make combat so hard its no longer enjoyable or near impossible to cap a ship. Just my view.
It's fun.
Sounds good. Dogfighting should actually pose a risk every single time. I've only died a total of 3 times dogfighting so far, and 2 of them were flukes. The last was me being outnumbered.

I'm glad they've made the changes. And capping should be harder, not easier! Well, IMO.
People, LEARN:

Lose: To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; for example: He's always losing his money.
Loose: Not fastened or restrained; for example: Loose papers

XU Vagabond
x3tc

Post by XU Vagabond » Wed, 30. Jun 04, 15:00

can't wait for the new Ai being out numbered is fun, I have hit a pirate base for fun and had about 20 ship chase after me and i caped ten of then in my nova without my sheilds droping below 20% let's see what happens in 1.4.
Last edited by XU Vagabond on Wed, 30. Jun 04, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

clayb8976
x2

Post by clayb8976 » Wed, 30. Jun 04, 15:06

OK...base on what Brianetta says (its fun) looks like they are doing a good job with it. I cant wait - bring it on!

spds31apocalypse
xr

Post by spds31apocalypse » Wed, 30. Jun 04, 15:10

apoc drools..
S31-Apocalypse
You Will all Beg for Mercy! In Vain!!
"Regis Mark V"
As a Human I will not Worship any being out there! I can not Lower myself !!
"Apoc"
Science wont destroy us, The followers of GOD abuses of it will.
"Apoc"
www.s31clan.com

EverythingXen
x3

Post by EverythingXen » Wed, 30. Jun 04, 15:13

Wow... you mean a M3 can actually take out a M4? That's an improvement right there... however...

I'm looking more for balance between ships of even classes. I want to be challenged taking out a cluster in a M3, not a M4. I want to be challenged taking on M1 or M2 in an M6 (as in nearly suicidal).
X2 - TL: 1, M2: 2, M1: 0, Factories: 35
X3 - Nothing yet

simonnance
x3tc

Post by simonnance » Wed, 30. Jun 04, 15:18

hmmm..... maybe i should cap me some more Novas as wingmen before 1.4 comes out and capping gets that much harder

give me a reason to KEEP some of my capps :roll:
want the FACTS about X2/X3?
Usenko wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think animals have their place in the scheme of things. It's just that in the case of sheep, cattle and pigs, their place happens to be in neat pieces under the griller.:-)

Apoch
x3

Post by Apoch » Wed, 30. Jun 04, 15:31

Meheheh. You're all screwed.

Let's just say you'll have to learn a lot of tactics that you never had any use for in 1.3 - and I do mean a lot.
M. "Apoch" Lewis
EGOSOFT Programmer
(and Holy Prophet of Douglas Adams)

EverythingXen
x3

Post by EverythingXen » Wed, 30. Jun 04, 15:37

With all that build-up I'm going to be dissappointed if I take a K out in an Iguana. :)
X2 - TL: 1, M2: 2, M1: 0, Factories: 35
X3 - Nothing yet

simonnance
x3tc

Post by simonnance » Wed, 30. Jun 04, 15:38

good

will be nice to see some new combat tactics.

i thought that would be the case anyhow...... :roll:

ill be fine, be nice to have some prey that fights back for a change! :twisted:
Usenko wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think animals have their place in the scheme of things. It's just that in the case of sheep, cattle and pigs, their place happens to be in neat pieces under the griller.:-)

xalien
x4

Post by xalien » Wed, 30. Jun 04, 15:46

It's good that combat AI's getting improved, but it seems to me I'll have to work on reaching AOA1 and cap some K's before updating.

simonnance
x3tc

Post by simonnance » Wed, 30. Jun 04, 15:52

thats a good point actualy.

if the AI is harder (true)

then it will be harder to get kills (true)

so should the ranks require less kills to get?

or just make the ships worth more points?

plus will we get credit for our wingmen's kills seeing as we are "sugested" to use them now?

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Wed, 30. Jun 04, 16:00

so it's finally gone from a peaceful trading game to one in which some actual combat is going to happen,,,,hang on...walking to wall and painting a cross on it and :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
that feels better now so bring it on :D :D

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”