How does Wingmans work?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

argharg
x3

How does Wingmans work?

Post by argharg » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 08:49

While saving for my first M6 I am toying with some stuff I have never bothered to try.
One of them is the use of a wingman. How do they work exactly? any use? what about jump drive? (do u have to manually remote jump them?), do they follow by default etc...

:roll:

Lutzie
x2

Post by Lutzie » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 09:02

Also anyone who has expereince with wingmen (Yes Brianetta, I'm looking at you. ;) ) would you mind posting a list of the wingmen shortcut keys here?

I'm thinking I'll be capping a few M3s I've got floating around the universe from old assassination missions...
People, LEARN:

Lose: To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; for example: He's always losing his money.
Loose: Not fastened or restrained; for example: Loose papers

argharg
x3

Post by argharg » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 09:09

Bah noone seems to know...
:(

Lutzie
x2

Post by Lutzie » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 09:20

argharg wrote:Bah noone seems to know...
:(
The topics only been active for 20 minutes. Patience young padowan.
People, LEARN:

Lose: To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; for example: He's always losing his money.

KhymMahn

Post by KhymMahn » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 09:20

Wingmen act as normal AI ships most of the time.. However, you if you call on them to defend your current ship (Shift+6, I believe) or attack your target (Shift+7), they will move to your position, even if they are currently several sectors away. The only other thing you can tell them to do is to switch formations.

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 10:04

Morning!

KhymMahn got it the wrong way around. Shift-7 causes all wingmen, anywhere, to fall in to formation if all's quiet, or to attack whatever is attacking you if all is not quiet. Shift 6 causes them to launch after your current target.

Wingmen can be on carriers, in space, in other sectors - doesn't matter, those keys will summon them. I like to launch defence fighters for my TL by hitting Shift-7 from the bridge. Then I can also launch and join in. The wingmen will continue to defend the ship you were in when you pressed the key - if you launch and then need them to defend your current ship, you need to repeat the command.

You can also use the broadcast command in your ship's console, or in any landed ship's comm menu, or any out-of-sector ship's comm menu, to order all wingmen in the sector, on a station/carrier, or in another sector (respectively) to do anything that would normally be seen in the fight or nav menus. So, you could say, "All wingmen, land on that carrier..." and then start making your own way there.

If your wingmen are following or protecting a ship, if that ship is made to use its jump drive via the command console (not Shift-J) then the wingmen will initiate a jump to follow, assuming they have a drive and enough fuel. They will jump some seconds after you - they only seem to start their countdown once you've jumped. Gives you time to get clear of a gate, though, if you're in something big like a TL.

That's about it. One quick intro to wingmen.

Oh, the Shift-6 and Shift-7 keys are duplicated as / and something else, but I can't remember the details. The help on those keys is the wrong way around (hence KhymMahn's confusion) but that should be fixed for 1.4.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

choggy
x3

Post by choggy » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 10:07

How do you specify that a particular ship is a wingman though?

Lutzie
x2

Post by Lutzie » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 10:16

choggy wrote:How do you specify that a particular ship is a wingman though?
Go into the ships details where you'd normally set it's homebase settings. A little further down are 3 things:
"Wingman: Yes/No"
"Missile Fire probability: X%"
"Formation: X"

Alter these as you wish.

Thanks Brianetta. I'll be practicing with that methinks. :)
People, LEARN:

Fatboy1109
x3tc

Post by Fatboy1109 » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 11:18

But, wingmen are absolutely useless in 1.3, they fly about doing nothing, shooting once in a while doing nearly no damage at all. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME...........

Save up and buy an M6.

:)

JamieKnowles
x4

Post by JamieKnowles » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 11:19

Apparently there much better in 1.4.

Apparently :roll:

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 11:23

will be great site to see
6 split mamba flying behind me

:D didn't even try to

argharg
x3

Post by argharg » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 11:55

Cool, got my answer..
Will try to have a M5 and a M4 following my nova cauz I am sick of those missions where I don't have the right ship class.
:x2:

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 12:06

Regarding wingmen I have another question. Can you set up squadrons of ships to work togeather when you are OOS.

Basically I am setting up a Split themed sector (all split ships, tech etc), and this means Dragons for OSD. Now I know they're crap for this perpose (too weak) but I thought that if I had 3 or 4 in a squadron they might do the job alright, as long as they all stuck togeather and didn't let any single ship go it alone.

Would this set up work?
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

JamieKnowles
x4

Post by JamieKnowles » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 12:11

You can do it, just set one of them to Attack all Enemies, then command the other to Protect that ship.

They will then fly round in formation, small problem, is the other ships will only engage ships that have fired on the ship they are protecting.

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 13:00

There are no squadron commands. The only wingmen that are properly implemented are wingmen for the player. Other than this, you can only assign ships to "protect" a leader, which isn't as effective (they don't do joint attacks, etc).

You set wingman from the command console.

Entering a wingman ship will stop that ship being a wingman, so be careful if you regularly switch ships not to leave one behind.

Wingmen are still useful in 1.3 for slowing down a TL. Set them as wingmen, and also give them the TL as a homebase. When you want to cruise slowly, Shift-7 and then set the autopilot. To speed up the TL again, command all wingmen to return home. It'll slow to 18 to pick them up, then open the throttles to full speed.

One problem with wingmen in 1.4 is that they can often get the final glory shot that earns you the bounty and the reputation boost.

All wingmen commands are implemented in 1.3, and in my opinion it's worth getting wingmen set up now, before 1.4 comes out. You have time to learn where the broadcast wingman commands are in the command menus, and you can get used to using the shortcut keys. You might even discover the other keys (which don't need shift). If you do, let me know what they are.

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 13:02

Brianetta wrote:One problem with wingmen in 1.4 is that they can often get the final glory shot that earns you the bounty and the reputation boost.
Of course, you can always give your wingmen ion disruptors. Makes life intresting... might even make them useful in 1.3!

BlkTransAm
x3

Post by BlkTransAm » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 14:48

It might be nice to have a wingman command for ignoreing the players target for when the player is trying to cap a ship.

argharg
x3

Post by argharg » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 15:11

Lol, X2 the only game when u still hav 2 guess the keys eventhough u bought the box.

Thought of the day 'There seems to be a resistence level at 94'

:D

Jha'dur
x2

Post by Jha'dur » Wed, 8. Sep 04, 03:31

Tried wingmen proper for the first time just now, 2 Khaak M3's, fully loaded. I was using them to help my blow up a pirate base, but they seemed to find it amusing to try to ram it to death. Needless to say, 3 Beta Kyons are a bit to valuable to waste in that fashion.

They made mincemat of the base-defenders though. but they are then no good for attackign bases? Or did I do something wrong (forgot to set "Ramming Probability %" down? :P )
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

proteus2
x4

Post by proteus2 » Wed, 8. Sep 04, 10:44

Guessing, but somthing to do with the 'range to target' that triggers colission avoidance when the targets speed is 0? (as it would be in a station)

Since the range is measured fom the center of the station, at AI just diden't see the walls, avaidance thought it could close to point blank and gets supprised when it bounces off.

No idea what the maths are for avoidance, (anyone seen the script?) but I'm guessing that target speed affects 'safe distance'.

I'm waffleing now, but you're a smart cookie, you know what I mean. :P
Sig? What sig?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”