Mass Drivers any good?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mippy
x3

Mass Drivers any good?

Post by mippy » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 18:40

they are very good last night I took on a K with my Mamba armed only with the Mass Drivers. and only made 2 stupid maistakes. Both of them were fly in a straight line, first time I lost 4% hull the second time i did it I was in the field of fire from 3 sides so I died very quickly. and I only lost my jumpdrive(which was really annoying because I lost it when I had more then 50% shields) well and the Duplex scanner but then I didn't even know I had that
A proud Goner!

It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt.

http://www.tildruin-mindseye.co.uk/innocent.html

Mobile

Post by Mobile » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 18:41

You need ammo for that. I had one in the beggining of the game on my nova. Wouldn't bother using it again.

T.Rank: Advanced Magnate
C.Rank: Combat Ace 2nd
Stations: 563
FLeet: M1: 1, M2: 1, M3: 2, M4: 0, M5: 2, M6: 47, TL: 2, TS: 545, TP: 170

Last Update:30/07/04

dr. lomax
x2

Post by dr. lomax » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 18:42

Its alrite mate, IMO you only made one mistake, you bought them!!
So it's come to this, I told you this would happen Ani! The fanboys are taking over!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Piscator
x3

Post by Piscator » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 18:43

I use them when capping to get hull to exactly to 87%, and also to take out the faster Khak M3s when I'm in my Nova.

razorhead
x4

Post by razorhead » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 18:53

dr. lomax wrote:Its alrite mate, IMO you only made one mistake, you bought them!!

actually they can be very useful, i killed a xenon K and a xenon J in a mamba thanks to mass drivers!

dr. lomax
x2

Post by dr. lomax » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 18:57

Razorhead wrote:
dr. lomax wrote:Its alrite mate, IMO you only made one mistake, you bought them!!

actually they can be very useful, i killed a xenon K and a xenon J in a mamba thanks to mass drivers!
I can accomplish the same thing with GHEPTs, without paying for any ammo.
So it's come to this, I told you this would happen Ani! The fanboys are taking over!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 18:58

They're excellent (in sector) on turrets for either missile defence or taking out khaak M5s due to the projectile speed.
before I realised how OOS worked I put them on OOS defence ships but I won't bother doing that again.

on balance I like them, not really sure why but it sounds great when they fire - a turret with 3 MDs mounted is a LOT of fun :D

razorhead
x4

Post by razorhead » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 19:06

dr. lomax wrote:
Razorhead wrote:

if you have Ghept in a mamba is coz you modded it :roll:

try to do it with bhept in a mamba

M.Kessel
xr

Post by M.Kessel » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 19:50

Razorhead wrote:

They are really good as player punishment.

Think about a Argon or Khaak M6 as policeforce, being equiped with some Massdrivers, shooting your hull down to 10% as punishment for a crime. :D

You will hate and fear those ships, I bet. :D

Greetings Mike.
I'm depressed

dr. lomax
x2

Post by dr. lomax » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 19:53

Razorhead wrote:
dr. lomax wrote:
Razorhead wrote:

if you have Ghept in a mamba is coz you modded it :roll:

try to do it with bhept in a mamba
Who the hell said it was in a mamba????? :roll:

mippy
x3

Post by mippy » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 21:25

but that was the whole point of this thread that you can take out Xenon cap ships ina "MAMBA" not something bigger. and what do I care about the cost of ammo I have 500+ mil and make over 100 Mil a day oooooooo I spent a couple thousand creds buting ammo how ever will I make it back. oh I know wait 5 mins.
A proud Goner!

It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt.

mass driver

Post by Guest » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 22:30

thought id try a mass driver ion d combo on my nova other than the prettey effect on the other ships hull i found it rather like stabbin a rhino with a drawing pin . id rather carry twin ion ds and twin bhepts depending on the mode im in . pluss you need ammo i like to sector hop in the nova with lots of ecells

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 22:33

Well, I used to use MDs for capping, until I decided to cap an orinoco. And I only cap orinocos and Pirate TSs, so ID+BPAC combo works fine for me in capping. Anyway, if you have a TL, you can stick like, 400 ammo units on there (what I did), and it'll last you awhile, especially if you only carry around 20 units in a Nova, enough for e-cells.
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

roboneal
x2

Post by roboneal » Fri, 2. Jul 04, 11:08

I have a couple in my nova for when I face those annoying Khaak M5s that have huge speeds (so that Wasps can't catch them). Khaak have low hull values so the MDs make short work of the M5s
It wasn't me, it was Entropy

Jasperodus
x3

Post by Jasperodus » Fri, 2. Jul 04, 11:14

I'm a recent convert to Mass Drivers - I use a maxed Buster with GIREs, GPACs and a single Masss Driver and it's great for all sorts of jobs.

Taking down pirates is no problem and I even took out a Khaak cluster that was attacking one of my stations in the thing. (Tho' I suspect that once I install 1.4 I won't be repeating the feat in a hurry...)

The Mass Driver is simply superb for taking out M5s and M4s with its projectile speed and rate of fire you will readily reduce the hull of any ship in those classes.

Jasp
Arms, my only ornament; my only rest, the fight. ~ Don Quixote, Cervantes

gillrichard
x3tc

Post by gillrichard » Fri, 2. Jul 04, 11:15

Razorhead wrote:

Mass Drivers:

Hull damage: 12 units of damage per shot

K Hull: 67000
J Hull: 77000

Those / 12 =

K - 5583
J - 6416

Did you have PSGs as well??
The thing is...there is no thing.

mippy
x3

Post by mippy » Fri, 2. Jul 04, 11:49

I was in a Mamba so no I didn't. I brought 182 Ammo with me and I think I finished with about 150-160 left it takes awhile and for some reason they don't lose equipment but it's still fun for the challenge. just makes sure you never go in a staright line for more then a few secs. or kiss your Mamba good bye.
A proud Goner!

Lutzie
x2

Post by Lutzie » Fri, 2. Jul 04, 11:53

Gillrichard, it doesn't take as long as you think. About as far as I can tell a Mamba can spit out 20 bullets a second (240 hull damage per second), and the damage is irreversable.

Anyone who says Mass Drivers are rubbish has not used them effectivly. You can take any ship (Bar Khaak M1s and M2s) on with an M3 armed with a pair of Mass Drivers. Even the AM4 and SM4 can take on a Xenon J and K with Mass Drivers. No other weapon combo for fighters can allow you to take on Xenon J or K. You *MAY* be able to do with 1 BHEPT and 1 ID, but you'll be there for a LOT longer than if you had 2x MD.
They're also brilliant at wiping out the really fast KM5s (The ones that do 396m/s) due to their fast speed and firing rate. Perfect getting hulls down to 87% for you cappers out there too.
So what that they use ammo up? Let the purse strings go! I recently purchased 400 crates of the stuff! Sure, it cost me about 600,000 but I'll make that money back just from one SPP by the time I've even used 100 crates!
People, LEARN:

Lose: To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; for example: He's always losing his money.
Loose: Not fastened or restrained; for example: Loose papers

mippy
x3

Post by mippy » Fri, 2. Jul 04, 12:03

I've been collecting it every cahnce I can find a good supply(might build my own though) so I have a Dolphin in my Elephant set aside just for ammo, and the 2 MDs when I'm not using them.
A proud Goner!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 2. Jul 04, 15:14

Lutzie wrote:No other weapon combo for fighters can allow you to take on Xenon J or K. You *MAY* be able to do with 1 BHEPT and 1 ID, but you'll be there for a LOT longer than if you had 2x MD.
There speaks someone who has apparently never used PSGs against Xenon Js and Ks. Two minutes? Pah--I can take out a K in 30 seconds using a PSG-equipped Perseus!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”