mass driver

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

leea
x3

mass driver

Post by leea » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 18:50

what is mass driver, is it another pules laser or is it a beam weapon? does it work the same as oll the other weapons? is it better than ( sorry cannot remember the name of the best weapon for the nova) the best weapon that the nova has?

hope this makes sense!!! :lol:

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 18:58

The mass driver fires projectiles which ignore shields, but each projectile does only a little damage. The weapon also fires extremely quickly and the particles move VERY fast, if you're within 1 km of your target it can seem instant. But, this weapon requires ammunition, and that can be purchased at Argon and Split Equipment Docks, but the ammo forge in Tharka's Sun seems to be full most of the time, I always buy from there. They're also quite effective against the khaak, because they have a lot of shielding, but very low hull. As a result, a dual-MD Nova rips through a khaak cluster. Oh, and the most powerful weapon the Nova can carry is a BHEPT, or Beta High Energy Plasma Thrower. It does far more damage per shot than the Mass Driver, but can't ignore shields and doesn't fire nearly as quickly. Its particles also move far slower. I've heard people say an all-MD titan is very effective. Would really chew through the ammo, though.
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

powell25
x2

Post by powell25 » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 19:01

mass driver is the worst weapon in the game stick with GHEPT
Trans Galatic Ltd.
Combat Ace 1st
Shipping Magnate
M1:001 Argon collosus
M2:003 Ray,Titan,Ody
M5:100 Nova
M6:002 Centaur
TP:045
Do or Do Not there is no TRY

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 19:12

Actually, there's no better weapon for destroying khaak clusters without friendly fire. Otherwise, PSGs work wonders on them. And, I forgot to mention, they're the best weapon for missile defense. They have very fast bullets, fire really fast, and are very accurate. Oh, I forgot to mention they're good for "carving" the hull of a ship when capping down to 87%.
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 20:16

Mass Drivers are akin to 20mm AP rounds. Will do a little damage direct to the hull and ignore shields. Downside is they require ammo (200 shots per cargo unit IIRC at about 20 hull points damage a piece ).

Proves a fair weapon if used in numbers of 2 or more against anything upto an M3, but G-HEPTs can kill quicker (Downside is that the pilots don't get the chance to bail :twisted:)
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Thu, 1. Jul 04, 20:41

I think MDs do 12 damage per round, but fire like 20 times per second.
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”