All is not well in Home of Light (v1.4 bug)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Greyhawk1
x3tc

All is not well in Home of Light (v1.4 bug)

Post by Greyhawk1 » Sat, 24. Jul 04, 14:56

This is the same sector where I saw an Orinoco destroy four TS ships with no retaliation.

Well a very large Khaak cluster spawned in there and I watched it. First thing I noticed was that all the Novas had disappeared. I'm sure there were a few in there before? But there are none now. The only defence in Home of Light are a few Discos and a single Buster belonging to TCHQ. There's the Mammoth defenders but they dont do anything.

As I sat in TCHQ watching on my monitors I noticed that none of what little defenders there were changed their behaviour. They were still half-speed patrolling.

Then I noticed that the Khaak werent firing on anything either. They'd iced one Disco when they first arrived that broke up the cluster but since then have done nothing at all.

Where's the sector defence gone? Why arent the Khaak doing anything? What's going on?!

I've a savegame ready to be downloaded if you need it (PM me).

Wide_Frontier
x2

Post by Wide_Frontier » Sat, 24. Jul 04, 15:02

Sector defences patrol various sectors. What you are describing is what I see in every sector where there are Khaak, unless the sector defenders happen to be there.

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Sat, 24. Jul 04, 15:06

Wide_Frontier wrote:Sector defences patrol various sectors. What you are describing is what I see in every sector where there are Khaak, unless the sector defenders happen to be there.
I've just restarted and the Khaak have only just started to appear. Are you saying that the patrol ships in there no longer defend against Khaak? They dont defend against Pirates either by the looks of things. What exactly are they doing?

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Sat, 24. Jul 04, 15:07

Wide_Frontier wrote:Sector defences patrol various sectors. What you are describing is what I see in every sector where there are Khaak, unless the sector defenders happen to be there.
I'm talking about the standard in-sector patrols here not the multi-sector ones. Where are they?

Wide_Frontier
x2

Post by Wide_Frontier » Sat, 24. Jul 04, 15:16

Oh ! LOL.. I did not realise there were any... Home of light never had a defence in 1.3, whereas Argon Prime did the M2s and M1s in certain sectors.. I thought that the ships in those sectors were station owned and only responded to agression against them or their home station.. I thought part of the idea of 1.4 was to provide roving sector defenders but they do have several sectors to patrol (apart from the task forces in Presidents End). Funny that I have been playing for so long and never realised there were other sector defenders..

Sir Crashalot
x4

Post by Sir Crashalot » Sat, 24. Jul 04, 15:20

I`ve known there was something amis with home of light the day I first played X2...

What happened to its 6 suns which the sector was named for ? :?
Home of light only has 100% sun so it`s name is a bit of a misnomer now. :roll:
If you can`t dazzle them with dynamics, then baffle them with bullsh*t :D

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Sat, 24. Jul 04, 15:23

I remember HoL used to have regular scraps between Pirate TS ships going from Ore Belt to Herron's Nebula with Novas and Busters. They seem to have all disappeared and now HoL is practically defenceless.

This makes sector defence in v1.4 much worse than in v1.3 if they are relying solely on those multi-sector patrollers. I'm stuck in TCHQ with large amounts of Khaak wandering about. Thankfully I'm about to get the prezzie from Saya so I can get out but I dont know what I'd have done otherwise.

I havent seen any effective defence at all yet in 1.4. Pirates seem free to attack whoever they choose with impunity and Khaak also seem to be now able to operate without retaliation until the sector defenders finally get there which could take a *very* long time.

I'll have to play a bit more but if this is true and now sector defence is entirely in the hands of multi-sector patrols then that is a very large step backwards in game enjoyment. Especially since sector defenders apparently ignore any enemies that appear in the sector after they have arrived.

tphater
x3tc

Post by tphater » Sat, 24. Jul 04, 15:25

Well a very large Khaak cluster spawned in there and I watched it. First thing I noticed was that all the Novas had disappeared. I'm sure there were a few in there before? But there are none now. The only defence in Home of Light are a few Discos and a single Buster belonging to TCHQ. There's the Mammoth defenders but they dont do anything.
Yeah,there should be fighters patroling the sector.Kill the kak or force 'em
to attack a station.But still not sure.
:? :? :?

Adonne
x2

Post by Adonne » Sat, 24. Jul 04, 15:50

hang on hang on

do you have a satalite in HoL or did you just switch the sector map on.

if so this would at least explain the disapearing ships as the scanner range is reduced to standard

but it doesnt explain the non aggression pact which can be observed on all "patrol" ships
Advanced Magnate
Ace of Ace 3rd

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Sat, 24. Jul 04, 15:55

Yes, I have a navsat there. Here's a screenie of the display (I'm sat in TCHQ):

http://gr3yh4wk.50megs.com/images/huh2.jpg

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Sat, 24. Jul 04, 15:56

BTW - my game only has Burianek's laser speed increase mod. No scripts - thats why the 'modified' watermark appears.

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Sat, 24. Jul 04, 16:42

Oh dear. Oh deary deary me. It seems that the Khaak only start firing once the multi-sector patrollers enter the sector. I flew right through a gaggle of M5's without them even so much as noticing. As soon as the sector patrol entered the Khaak woke up and started firing.

All the old sector defenders have disappeared. All sector defence on multi-sector patrol routes are now mounted by just two M6's by the looks of things. It seems that if Khaak spawn in a sector that doesnt have any sector patrollers in it they are harmless until the patrol enters. :o

If so, that is a corner cut the size of nebraska in getting v1.4 working!

Can someone else confirm this?

Tasis

Post by Tasis » Sat, 24. Jul 04, 16:47

Why don't you send a fleet of fighters in there re-take it? I took over PE with a fleet of mambas.
TKLA Commodore
The following is a link to TKLA's recruiting page:
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73776

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Sat, 24. Jul 04, 16:49

Tasis wrote:Why don't you send a fleet of fighters in there re-take it? I took over PE with a fleet of mambas.
As I said, I just restarted. I have a grand total of 2 TS ships. And thats it.

Tasis

Post by Tasis » Sat, 24. Jul 04, 16:52

Well your screwed then. :wink:
TKLA Commodore

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Sat, 24. Jul 04, 16:55

Not really. Once the multi-sector patrol appeared they made short work of the Khaak. It didnt matter anyway because the Khaak did nothing at all in the entire time they were in sector. As I said, I even flew through a group of three or four M5's and they didnt bat an eyelid.

They only started attacking stuff when the multi-sector patrol appeared and fired on their M3.

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Sat, 24. Jul 04, 16:59

If anyone wants the save its here:

http://gr3yh4wk.50megs.com/files/X10.sav

Its about 5 megs and dont hammer the site. Its not exactly got a big bandwidth.

If you wait long enough the sector patrollers will appear from the South Gate.

Tasis

Post by Tasis » Sat, 24. Jul 04, 17:11

The Kha'ak are dum. The only reason they are intimidating is cause they're powerful.
TKLA Commodore

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Sat, 24. Jul 04, 17:19

Tasis wrote:The Kha'ak are dum. The only reason they are intimidating is cause they're powerful.
They may be dumb but they're also exceptionally violent and usually waste no time in hacking chunks out of defenceless transports. Thats why this was so weird. The fact that they just did nothing whatsoever.

I'll keep my eye on this. If this is the case that enemies are "neutered" until the sector patrollers appear then thats a bit of a major black mark on v1.4's hype about better sector defence.

Hopefully, I'm wrong and it was a coincidence. I've already had a bad feeling about the hugely weakened sector defence since I restarted and saw that Ori cut a swathe of destruction through HoL with no opposition from the defence at all.

Maybe its a result of playing on X-TREME?! Less sector defenders? I'd really like some confirmation from a mod or a dev ASAP before I jump to a conclusion that isnt right :\

Silver-Hawk
x2

Post by Silver-Hawk » Sat, 24. Jul 04, 17:24

Well, I can say with near certainty that the same isn't true for all sectors. I've had Khaak destroying a lot of my transports in pirate sectors recently where surely there are no sector patrols going in? Perhaps its something to do with that cluster, a one off bug maybe. Could be possible that the sector patrol entering just sort of wakes them up? I have no evidence to back this up at all, just throwing in ideas...

S-H
"For every Hero that comes to light, a thousand Warriors pass into Darkness"

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”