SQUASHing stations

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bishop149
x3

SQUASHing stations

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 5. Aug 04, 13:39

How many SQUASH mines does it take to kill a station?

I have a plan to use them as demo charges to clear sectors.

1) Buy a SQUASH mine fact. and dump it in my exsisting split loop, start churning out the mines for free.

2) Plant x amount of mines in a cluster very close to a station but away from the docking port so as not to have them set off by any stray ship

3) Repeat 2 for every station in the sector you want to kill.

4) Stand off and launch a Mozzie or wasp at every cluster of mines (light the fuse :roll: )

5) Stand back and watch the fireworks. :twisted:

An advantage to this is that the stations would be killed almost instantly, they would have no time to launch their fighters and so your race rank drop would only be for the killing of the station and not for quite a few ships as well.

I don't know if this will work so I thought I'd ask everyone what they think.
I have a number of questions never having used mines before, but from my experiences in the ruined gate mission they seemed quite powerful!

Having searched the net I can't find the damage dealing stats for the mines anywhere, I also can't find the shield and hull strengths of stations anywhere. If I had this info I could work out x.
Also will planting a mine close to a station cause it to go off immediatly due to the proximatey?
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

brohawk
x3

Post by brohawk » Thu, 5. Aug 04, 13:43

I would be interested in knowing how it works out for you although I don't know if I see the value in blowing up factories.

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Thu, 5. Aug 04, 14:01

Someone a while back scripted a thousand mines into a sector, and set off the chain reaction. I think his/her PC is still recovering from the overload on the CPU and framerate..... :)
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

JamieKnowles
x4

Post by JamieKnowles » Thu, 5. Aug 04, 14:02

Hmm, not sure of the number of mines needed, but as they are more or less ineffective against M3 and higher class ships, and they only pack 2 or 3 25 MW shields, a station with (is it 6??) 125 MW shields is going to take a LOT of mines to destroy.

Dunners
x3

Post by Dunners » Thu, 5. Aug 04, 14:02

Squash mines are actually fairly whimpy. The chances are they will be set off while you are placing them, thus hitting you. Has anyone ever thried to set off a Hornet inside a station? Now THAT would be fun. However, the best way to take down a facotry is to reduce the shields and fire off some hornets, or if you have enough, 30 or so hornets with a 1second gap. Anything closer ad they set each other off.

Dunners

Storm666
x3tc

Post by Storm666 » Thu, 5. Aug 04, 14:04

Someone a while back scripted a thousand mines into a sector, and set off the chain reaction. I think his/her PC is still recovering from the overload on the CPU and framerate.....
LOL

Mad Max 36
x2

Post by Mad Max 36 » Thu, 5. Aug 04, 14:06

Dunners wrote:Squash mines are actually fairly whimpy. The chances are they will be set off while you are placing them, thus hitting you.
You obviously have never used squash mines before - if you had you will know that squash mines are inactive when ejected from your cargo bay - you then leave the area and then activate them. You can deactivate or activate them whenever you want.
Mad Max

Xtreme
Professional Magnate

Fleet:

4 M1's
88 M2's
40 M6's
501 m3's
43 m4's
28 M5's
12 TL's
35 GO's

Empire:

179 stations
521 TS's
157 TP's

Morten
x3tc

Post by Morten » Thu, 5. Aug 04, 19:01

Dunners wrote: Has anyone ever thried to set off a Hornet inside a station? Now THAT would be fun.
Dunners
I did. You can't fire lasers or launch missiles inside sadly :( . It would be quite cool to dock on a station, then launch a hornet and get blasted out the entrance like in a movie :twisted:

Morten

pilt
x3

Post by pilt » Thu, 5. Aug 04, 23:06

In Xtention you could use hornets to kill a station, they were prolly more powerful. There was even more powerful missile that you could only find and launch from a pirate ship, I cannot remember the name of it though.

esd
x3tc

Re: SQUASHing stations

Post by esd » Thu, 5. Aug 04, 23:47

Bishop149 wrote:4) Stand off and launch a Mozzie or wasp at every cluster of mines (light the fuse :roll: )
Or target one and command it to detonate :wink:
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Fri, 6. Aug 04, 06:51

Could make a lasertower loop then use those.
I used a bunch of them once to kill a station for fun in 1.3. Didn't record any results but it was fun to watch.
Plus you can pick them up after you're done.

Or just send a couple of M2's in to kill it while OOS. Super fast.
[ external image ]
The end of a trilogy does not mean an end to a series.
| Vanilla with strawberries? [List of Vanilla safe mods.] | Tired of the plots? [Plot Skipper Tool v0.5] |
| X3: R & TC Minimaps |

RustiSwordz
x2

Post by RustiSwordz » Fri, 6. Aug 04, 07:12

pilt wrote:In Xtention you could use hornets to kill a station, they were prolly more powerful. There was even more powerful missile that you could only find and launch from a pirate ship, I cannot remember the name of it though.
You mean the Baluga Missile. These were like mini nukes and could only be fired from the pirate freighter and captured from Xenon Destroyers. In the last patch of XT.

2/3 of these babies could nuke a station.
RustiSwordz Art Blog:

http://rustiswordz.blogspot.com/

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Fri, 6. Aug 04, 07:25

It'd be so much fun to watch 4 laser towers tear up a station in an X formation, or just a big circle that all fired at once. That would be a nice screenie, a bunch of purple beams seemingly attached to a station in a circular fashion like a gate of some kind, and you see a tiny blue explosion starting to erupt from the station...
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Fri, 6. Aug 04, 08:36

Towers around a gate pic. Did that a while ago for more fun.

Morten
x3tc

Post by Morten » Fri, 6. Aug 04, 09:12

Aro wrote:Towers around a gate pic. Did that a while ago for more fun.

Nice :twisted:

Morten

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Fri, 6. Aug 04, 09:52

Hmmm I already have a Lasertower loop, and I could just move them from station to station. . . . thats probably a much better plan.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

gillrichard
x3tc

Post by gillrichard » Fri, 6. Aug 04, 10:12

that is a good pic, did the lazers kill your computer?
The thing is...there is no thing.

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Fri, 6. Aug 04, 10:51

Not too bad, was only about 30 of them or so out there.
That's one of the better screens I took.

Also fun to take assasin missions in an M6 then drop a couple of towers to shake things up.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”