Which M3?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

dietcokeman
x2

Which M3?

Post by dietcokeman » Mon, 23. Aug 04, 16:20

Hopefully I'll be able to buy a M3 shortly, but I can't decide which one. The main 2 choices are the Argon Nova, and the Paranid Pericles. The Teladi Falcon also looks nice.

Which is the best for capturing? Do any have the capability to equip a Phased Shockwave Generator? Sounds great for Khaak swarms :D

Cheers!

AlexKitch
x3

Post by AlexKitch » Mon, 23. Aug 04, 16:23

I'd say the Argon Nova seems to be the best choice for capturing. Mount an IonD and you can capture all day, I did try the Teladi Falcon but found it too slow, and a poor performer :(

JamieKnowles
x4

Post by JamieKnowles » Mon, 23. Aug 04, 16:31

I'd love to recommend the Paranid Perseus (not Pericles - Thats the M4) But if you havent got a TL to jump it around the universe, then its small cargo hold will really annoy you.

But it beats the pants off a nova as a pure fighter, and can mount upto B-PSG's (go for the Alpha varity and you've got a reasonable capper)

(warning personal opinion in there :D )

Wargod.
x3tc

Post by Wargod. » Mon, 23. Aug 04, 16:35

Falcon.

Best ship in the universe.

Hands down.

Gazzareth
x2

Post by Gazzareth » Mon, 23. Aug 04, 16:39

If you want to capture then forget M3's and look at the Iguana.... You would also have nearly enough spare change to get the Ion's that you need for capturing as well !!

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Mon, 23. Aug 04, 17:00

I say get a mamba but i'm a little one sided when it comes to M3's

Storm666
x3tc

Post by Storm666 » Mon, 23. Aug 04, 17:11

if your good at figthing try the nova (hept's, mass drivers, ID's will do anything you need)
if your not try the perseus (hept's and psg's you'll kill almost anything but as mentioned crap for jump drives)

Wargod mentioned the falcon (thats what i use) ID's and hept's, big cargo unfortunatly slow (for your first M3 try the others for a safer bet)

foop
x2

Post by foop » Mon, 23. Aug 04, 17:25

I like the Nova - it has lots of shields, can mount Ion Ds, and has a rear turret.

The only problem is that when you start doing assassination missions you will discover that almost all other M3s and M6s are faster than you. This can get a little annoying. The time I've spent chasing after an M6 as it circled round and round me firing vaguely in my direction has got to be the least productive time I've spent in X2 recently.

dietcokeman
x2

Post by dietcokeman » Mon, 23. Aug 04, 18:04

I think I'll go for the Nova. Seems to be the most well rounded. Cargo space for jump drive and missile storage and the back turret looks helpfull.

Cheers :D

Tsumikae
x2

Post by Tsumikae » Mon, 23. Aug 04, 18:07

nova.
Peace means to reload a gun

mippy
x3

Post by mippy » Mon, 23. Aug 04, 18:28

Storm666 wrote:if your good at figthing try the nova (hept's, mass drivers, ID's will do anything you need)
I've always thought that if your bad at fighting you should go with the Nova.
if your good at fighting you go with a Mamba. or the Barracuda to train your self to become a Mamba Pilot.
A proud Goner!

It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt.

http://www.tildruin-mindseye.co.uk/innocent.html

Guiden
x2

Post by Guiden » Mon, 23. Aug 04, 18:35

Get a perseus, do a couple of assassination missions (no M6 can withstand triple BPSGs, not even an osprey) and use the money for a herc to carry your Perseus and whatever other ships you should choose to add to you fleet..

Perseus is faster and has more firepower than a nova... :twisted:
Who needs nuclear power when there is electricity?

M1: 2
M2: 5
M3: 70
M4: 9
M5: 10
M6: 20
TL: 1
TS & TP: ~100

Storm666
x3tc

Post by Storm666 » Mon, 23. Aug 04, 18:35

Storm666 wrote:
if your good at figthing try the nova (hept's, mass drivers, ID's will do anything you need)

I've always thought that if your bad at fighting you should go with the Nova.
if your good at fighting you go with a Mamba. or the Barracuda to train your self to become a Mamba Pilot.

yeah true :)
but i was comparing the choices he gave

mippy
x3

Post by mippy » Mon, 23. Aug 04, 19:07

oh ok. I just don't like to use the Nova. I put them in my Carriers, and I carry one around in my Elephant. it's even been out of the hanger twice with me as the pilot.
A proud Goner!

It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt.

Storm666
x3tc

Post by Storm666 » Mon, 23. Aug 04, 22:12

oh ok. I just don't like to use the Nova.
welcome to the club mate :) :) :) i hate them too

pocket247
x3tc

Post by pocket247 » Mon, 23. Aug 04, 22:14

Hmm... Which is the best m3. We seem to get a new one of these every week. Maybe if there is a good thread the moderators could make it sticky one day, assuming its not in the guide to life the universe & everything (alsmost certainly is).
I would say, simply, that there is no 'best' M3. Each M3 is different, and can perform different tasks.
The Teladi Falcon. This ship is the slowest of the m3's, but good manueverability. It has a variety of different weapons of choice (ahepts, ID's, APSG's), but none are particularly 'heavy'. The ID's are good, but there are other, faster ships which can perform the same, or better. Its primary benefit, is the very large cargo space, for jumpdrive fuel, or what ever else you want to put in there. It has excellent shielding (75mw) for protecting your wares.

The Argon Nova. Is a fairly slow ship, but very good maneuverability. It has excellent frontal weaponry with 2 mountings for, bhepts, or Ion Disruptors (ID's), or Mass Drivers (MD's) for killing, or capturing. Can carry Hornet missiles for maximum damage.
It also has large shields (75MW) and a rear turret for defence. Has a large cargo bay for energy cells for your jumpdrive. Its a good all round ship, and is quite forgiving for a new player. You may get bored waiting to catch up with targets.

The Boron Barracuda. Has the similar frontal weapons to the Nova, but no MD's. It can carry Hornet missiles. It is fast and reasonably maneuverable, and has averge shielding (50mw). This ship epitomises a balanced ship. Its not the fastest, but its not the slowest. It doesnt have the biggest guns, but its weapon loadout is still quite formidable (especially using a mix of Bhept & ID's & hornest). It has a good cargo bay for energy cells for that jump drive. A good middle of the road fighter.

The Split Mamba. The fastest m3 and maneuverable. It has Behpt & mass driver weapons loadout, although it can only carry silkworm missiles. It has a large cargo bay so you can get those energy cells for your jumpdrive. Its major failing is lack of shielding (only 25mw). Its your dogfighting dream. If you want to get into a hairy furball, you had better be very good, because with weak shielding you cant afford many mistakes. Some hate it, some love it.

The Paranid Perseus. This is a fast and maneuverable M3. It can equip 3 AHEPT's or 3BPSG's and hornet missiles. The ability to use 3BPSG's gives it by far the most destructive firepower (at long range) of any m3 vessels. 3BPSG can take out an enemy capital ship without too much difficulty. It has excellent shielding (75 mw) for taking a serious beating. It has a very small cargo bay, which is barely enough for carry a full weapons loadout (AHEPT's & BPSG's & Hornet missiles). There is not much space (if any) for energy cells to use with a jumpdrive. It is a fighter to be used from a capital ship, unless you have the patience to manually traverse sectors.

The Split Iguana. This is not an M3, but can be used for similar purposes. It is extremely fast (faster than any M3), but very poor maneuverability. It has a large weapon loadout (3 frontal weapons and 1 turret, but weak missiles). It can carry ID's and/or GPAC. Using 4 ID's to lower a targets shields & then switching to ID's and GPAC to finnish a vessel off is a useful tactic, which this vessel performs well. It has a large cargo bay for all those weapons, and jumpdrive fuel. It has medium shields (50mw), and is quite a large ship, so it can take get hit a few times, so some pilot skill is required. Its real detraction is its lack of manueverability. As some have said, it steers like a barge.... or a brick. However, it is still a very powerful ship when piloted correctly, and can defeat multiple M6 vessels. Originally designed as a spacefly collector, its a multi-purpose ship, good for killing or capping or transporting.

HTH... my erm... 99 pennies worth.

mippy
x3

Post by mippy » Tue, 24. Aug 04, 00:01

Storm666 wrote:
oh ok. I just don't like to use the Nova.
welcome to the club mate :) :) :) i hate them too
I don't hate the Nova. I just can't stand it's slow speed.
A proud Goner!

The Iron Duke
x3tc

Post by The Iron Duke » Tue, 24. Aug 04, 00:08

Cap an Orinoco. Max it. Try it. Don't listen to the 'woosies'. It wil bring the rest down.
P.S. Get a variety of weapons and experiment for capping.

Ghost Dog
x2

Post by Ghost Dog » Tue, 24. Aug 04, 10:29

pocket247
You are right we do get a what is the best M3 thread every week and we also always get an experienced player like you who will give a rundown of each of the 5 main races ships but every one forgets to include the others
-Pirate M3
-Khaak M3 ( my favourite)
-Xenon M3
-Ghona M3

all of these ships have valuable strengths even the ghoner one.
My advise to the original poster would be to take an M4 capable of mounting apsg,s into the pirate sectors next to argon space as they do not have patrolling ships they always still have one or two lone Khaak M3,s in each sector using salvage insurance rush to get in behind each ship one after another' and try to cap it in the 8 or so sectors you should get about a dozen or so opportunities to cap one and out of that you should get about 4 of them and out of that you should get about one of them with weapons sell the other three and fix it up as it,s a lot of fun to use or sell the lot of them and get a fully maxed out M3 with money to spare.

Tecnofreak
x3

Post by Tecnofreak » Tue, 24. Aug 04, 10:43

Why have one M3 when you can have a fleet?

I hvae the Pirate orinoco, the Khaak M3 and the BEAUTIFUL Nova.

My nova caught both of the other two M3's using Beta Hepts, my best ever investment.
Sometimes a smile is all it takes to cheer a person. A hug does ten times more. But a laugh... that can change the world...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”