(SPOILERS) X2 plot mission question - Omicron Lyrae

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

shodan1138
x3

(SPOILERS) X2 plot mission question - Omicron Lyrae

Post by shodan1138 » Mon, 30. Aug 04, 07:49

Easier to just say "spoilers" in the subject, rather than blank out the entire post.

So!

I'm doing the Omicron Lyrae mission, against the gigantic Khak mothership.

Due to how tightly you need to snuggle up against the Mothership at certain points in the mission, it looks like an M3 is pretty much required for this task (so I'm in my Nova - otherwise, I'd just use my Osprey). I'm at the point where I'm supposed to destroy the little... devices... on the mothership itself.

However, wave after wave after wave of khak fighters are appearing, and I can barely last more than a minute! Much less get a good bead on a target that's rotating around a gigantic ship. More often than not, the target my computer decides to give me (I can't manually target them with any degree of success) is on the /other/ side of the rotating section.

How in the world do you /do/ this mission, anyway? I've had no trouble with missions up until now. I mean, I think it's a /really/ cool mission - slipping into the little nav beacons on the Mothership made me feel like I was doing a Death Star trench run. But /man/, is it frustrating. These dozen or so Khak M5s tear me apart pretty quickly. And let's not mention the large rotating arms on the mothership itself - in order for my Nova's guns to be in range of the little targets, I need to put myself in their path. They hit awfully hard.

My Osprey is standing by in a distant sector, but it's low on energy cells. What would happen if I jumped out of this system in mid-mission, hopped into the Osprey, refueled it, and came back? Or should I find an earlier save, rearrange my ships more conveniently, and try the whole thing over again?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 30. Aug 04, 09:37

You don't have any problem doing this mission in an M6, because you can jump into the parked M5 for the tricky manoeuvring bits--no need to worry overmuch about Khaak attacks, because they won't shoot at you when you're near the mothership! Every time I've done this mission (and that's at least 3 times now) I've used an M6--I wouldn't even want to try in anything smaller.

Pumpkin10
x3

Post by Pumpkin10 » Mon, 30. Aug 04, 09:46

I did the whole missioon in a centuar the first time round. I t's small enough tof it into the little thingy, and hold position, and maneuver around, n' stuff. But! I accidentally backed into one of those big beams and blew up..

My second attempt I used a harrier. No problem, with khaak fighters. Or the big swirly's.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 30. Aug 04, 10:18

I completed the mission in a B-PSG Paranid Perseus. It is a tight fit but doable. I called in my Dragon for the mop up exercise after killing the Mothership before it could kill the planet.

Edit : Given your circumstances switch to the Osprey for the killing of enemies and use the Osprey's B-PSGs to take out the thingys on the mothership when told to.

Start by getting within about 5km of the mothership and the game should lead you by the hand... btw use the Nova or a Docked M5 to do the tricky bits of positioning your ship.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

AlboSpace
x2

Post by AlboSpace » Mon, 30. Aug 04, 12:30

All the suggestions about completing the mission have been already given in the previous posts.
Just one thing: if you jumpdrive out of sector during the mission, it will fail, the planet will blow out, and you will be considered a betrayer and unforgiven for the rest of your life... :shock: :shock:

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 30. Aug 04, 13:59

As far as the Osprey refuelling problem is concerned, whereabouts is your Osprey? If it's within jump range of Home of Light you can jump it there, refuel it at the Terracorp HQ, then bring it in to lay down pwnage upon the Khaak hordes.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”