New respect for the Mass Driver!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mrthingyx
x3

New respect for the Mass Driver!

Post by mrthingyx » Wed, 8. Sep 04, 22:51

Hey, people!

This is my first post and I must say a bit unexpected in terms of topic... I've just completed an assassination (sic?) mission to kill some traitor (whose convoy consisted of two Split Dragons and four Mambas) in an Argon Nova with Mass Drivers. I thought it would be worth a giggle...

And my goodness - either the Split Dragon really is poor (embrassing because it's my 'other' ship) or the Mass Driver really does rule. It chewed through ammo like nobody's business, but hey. I'm 780000c better off. :)

Thanks for listening - is the food good here? :)

tismtia
x2

Post by tismtia » Wed, 8. Sep 04, 22:58

I stayed away from the mass drivers just because you actually had to pay for ammo. I could just see buying some mass drivers then spending days flying around trying to find where they were in stock. Now that said, I have heard only praise for them. I am thinking of building my own ammunition loop to avoid the hassle of keeping them in stock, then I might give them a try.
Human knowledge has always exceeded human intellegence.

mrthingyx
x3

Post by mrthingyx » Wed, 8. Sep 04, 23:09

Yup - I thought they were a big steaming heap, too... maybe it's being forced to try and shoot something faster and with bigger shields than a Nova (not hard) that means they're almost a requirement...

Ammunition loops do sound like the way forward, though - nowhere has Mass Driver Ammo. :evil:

th0ne
x3

Post by th0ne » Wed, 8. Sep 04, 23:14

when i first got my dragon and full kited it out with MD's i thought that 1 MD amo unit was 1 shot, and i'de never seen them firing so i didnt realy know better, so i went around for agesa and eventualy bought over 300 packs LOL, then thinking i didnt have much but i'de try it i went fighting, and WOW ive got enought ammo 2 last a lifetime!! im still around the 200 mark its great!
--SLAVERY IS FREEDOME--
--WAR IS PEACE--

soulseeker1978
x2

Post by soulseeker1978 » Wed, 8. Sep 04, 23:21

I think the best gun combo in the game would be an Ion D and a Mass Driver. Unfortunately, I think only the Nova can equip both :(

th0ne
x3

Post by th0ne » Wed, 8. Sep 04, 23:23

why in hell would this be good!?!? lol the MD dosnt need the ID @ all!
--SLAVERY IS FREEDOME--
--WAR IS PEACE--

tismtia
x2

Post by tismtia » Wed, 8. Sep 04, 23:45

th0ne wrote:when i first got my dragon and full kited it out with MD's i thought that 1 MD amo unit was 1 shot, and i'de never seen them firing so i didnt realy know better, so i went around for agesa and eventualy bought over 300 packs LOL, then thinking i didnt have much but i'de try it i went fighting, and WOW ive got enought ammo 2 last a lifetime!! im still around the 200 mark its great!
So how many shots/rounds do you get per one ammo unit? Anyone know?
Human knowledge has always exceeded human intellegence.

razorhead
x4

Post by razorhead » Thu, 9. Sep 04, 00:33

200 per pack IIRC

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Thu, 9. Sep 04, 00:39

Mas Drivers in the Turets are a must when taking on a Khaak swarm in a Dragon. I find it takes ages to get through a cople of M6s hulls with MDs.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

mrthingyx
x3

Post by mrthingyx » Thu, 9. Sep 04, 01:41

Not as long as it does trying to get through their shields with BHEPTs in a Nova... :(

Just dispatched two Paranid Nemesis'. Admittedly, they weren't packing GPSGs, though. :D

Andrew TS
x2

Post by Andrew TS » Thu, 9. Sep 04, 02:09

I love to kill Ospreys' so yea..... :wink:

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Thu, 9. Sep 04, 02:21

th0ne wrote:why in hell would this be good!?!? lol the MD dosnt need the ID @ all!
This combination is good for capturing.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

happykoala
x2

Post by happykoala » Thu, 9. Sep 04, 05:18

tismtia wrote:So how many shots/rounds do you get per one ammo unit? Anyone know?
Its tells you in the station description.

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Thu, 9. Sep 04, 05:28

happykoala wrote:
tismtia wrote:So how many shots/rounds do you get per one ammo unit? Anyone know?
Its tells you in the station description.
I wondered about that too a while back. The lady says 200.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”