Are Mass Drivers good for Ship Capturing

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes: 26

NeilDingley
x4

Post by NeilDingley » Tue, 12. Oct 04, 02:23

I read somewhere that ship eqipment is destroyed with a certain probability every time the Hull of a ship is hit, and I have found that ships surrender once there shields are destroyed. and was wandering therefore since the mass driver fires lots of low power shots, wheter it is good for destroying shields systems and hence capturing ?

Lord of Hounds
x2

Post by Lord of Hounds » Tue, 12. Oct 04, 02:53

They are good for capturing, but not by themselves. MDs do damage directly to a hull but a pilot will not bail unless his/her shields are reduced to zero. Therfore, using MDs in conjunction with a weapon that reduces shields (like IDs) is necessary.
Watch your back, I got mine.

Storm666
x3tc

Post by Storm666 » Tue, 12. Oct 04, 03:51

in capping you would only use the MD to get that magic 87%, these things are precision, and will rip a hull to exactly what ever % you want... they are not big on damage per shot, but the fire quicker than anything so make up for it and dont drain power (at least not much?). and theyre VERY acurate too

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Tue, 12. Oct 04, 04:39

Yeah, an MD in conjunction with an ID will surgically take the hull to 87%, or if you're getting impatient, whittle it down to the desired money-yielding-but-not-destroying hull value.
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Tue, 12. Oct 04, 10:46

But its hull hits that blow off equipment right? So therefore, the MD would rip more equipment off the hull than huseing a HEPT of some description.... it may be more precise but I rekon that the collateral damage would cut allot out of your profitsssss

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 12. Oct 04, 18:07

Tsar_of_Cows wrote:But its hull hits that blow off equipment right?
Nope. You can lose equipment without having lost your shields, especially in a weakly-shielded ship like a Dragon.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”