need help drilling module

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

croma_99
x4

need help drilling module

Post by croma_99 » Mon, 18. Oct 04, 23:43

how do you install the mobile drilling module on a ship ore what kind of ship can handle the opgrade ...pls need help

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 18. Oct 04, 23:48

I would use the teladi vulture, the mobile drilling rig fits on the back turret, just approach the asteroid and turn around, press F1 to switch to the rear turret and blast away, you will also need an ore collecter and special command software (which helps to pick up the ore fragments faster

You can also use some TLs but I wouldn’t bother

Edit

To equip the mobile drilling rig use the weapons page
=

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Mon, 18. Oct 04, 23:53

I use Paranid Demeter, can mount them as front gun. Sometimes you have to get really close to a roid. Better to do it head-on, carefully! Watch the spin of the roid.

Cheers Euclid

Logaan
x4

Post by Logaan » Mon, 18. Oct 04, 23:59

You can check out the ships that can handle the mining laser here: http://www.logaans-site.co.uk/x2/shiptable.php

the TSs that mount the mining laser are:
Paranid Demeter (Front and Rear)
Split Caimen (Rear)
Teladi Vulture (Rear)

There are some TLs that mount it but its a bit difficult to use em

Trader Phil
x2

Post by Trader Phil » Tue, 19. Oct 04, 00:17

I use the Vulture also. However, after getting too close to a large asteroid several times, so close that when I turned the ship I struck the lump of rock and got to see the end of game banner, I developed the following method of approach. Target the appropriate asteroid. Set you speed to zero. Press U to engage the autopilot. The autopilot will head for the asteroid, slow down, then turn to avoid it. When the turning stops, disengage the autopilot by pressing U again. The ship will coast to a stop. The asteroid will be close enough to drill, but you won't hit it when you turn.

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Tue, 19. Oct 04, 00:32

I used the Vulture on starting new games. After a few too-near asteroid encounters, you soon get to judge how to use it effectively (and manually).
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

fchopin
x3

Post by fchopin » Tue, 19. Oct 04, 02:16

If you select the asteroid and press u it will go to the asteroid, when you are near you stop dead in space. Turn your ship round and jump in your turret, if your aim is nor correct jump back in your sit and change direction until it is correct.
When there are no more games it is time for music.

3iff
x2

Post by 3iff » Tue, 19. Oct 04, 09:40

The 'clever' way to mine with the Vulture is to use the technique that Brianetta used/invented (I think it was him anyway!)...

Fly towards the asteroid and then fly OVER it, keeping a safe distance until you fly past the roid. Small roids need a distance of around 5-600 metres, large ones need 1.4 km.

At this point, you will be able to blast the rock. I use the turret roid burst script (zzorecollect?) which automatically fires the drill for me...saves hopping into the rear turret. You may need to rotate the ship upwards a bit. Look on the gravidar for when the asteroid becomes just a square.

This method does take a bit of practice but is much easier than stopping the ship and turning around. It's the system I use when flying a Vulture.

Roids with internal tunnels are a special case. For these, fly INTO the tunnel and blast away from the inside...

I now mine with a Demeter and that's dead easy with the forward firing turret and the ship is far faster!
...locating mandolin strings in the middle of Austin.

Fireseen
x2

Post by Fireseen » Wed, 20. Oct 04, 01:29

Fly INTO the hole? That doesn't work all that well, when the Asteroid is rotating only slightly slower than an SPP side-spinner...thing :D

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Wed, 20. Oct 04, 01:46

also note the mining laser will separate the asteroid into collectable chunks, but you need the ore collecter to actually collect them.

the ore collector is a modification to your existing freight capture system so you can capture the roidlets. You still need to open your cargo bay and collect them one by one though. When you get into this at a high scale you might want a couple of extra TSs standing by with ore collectors installed and the "collect wares in sector" command running

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 20. Oct 04, 01:56

Fireseen wrote:Fly INTO the hole? That doesn't work all that well, when the Asteroid is rotating only slightly slower than an SPP side-spinner...thing :D
I think he's referring to the giant, non-rotating variety. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Lord_Darkstar
x2

Post by Lord_Darkstar » Wed, 20. Oct 04, 22:10

3iff...

I use "Autopilot" to "follow" my target rock. Most of the time, it will bring your mining ship up to a nice, target range and all you have to do is hit the (u) and (backspace). If in a Vulture, you then just rotate 180 degrees (I put my mining Vulture's rear turret on Monitor 2 so I can watch the rotation and know when the turret bears). If in a forward mining TS (Demeter, for example), then just start blasting.

Even on the big rocks, autopilot on follow will sometimes find a spot it likes (at the 1.2 km point), and then you are all set. But if not, you always know where you safe distance point is by watching when autopilot peals away and starts circling. Then you just disengage the autopilot, fly to that range, and target.

After the asteroid goes boom, it's easier to let the Special software "Collect all wares..." get the ore or silicon. But its faster if you do it yourself.

Just never use SETA when near an asteroid... or your autopilot will fly you into it quite often. Not good for the hull, doing that!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”