X-News 16 Vote: Mouse or Keyboard

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

How should the new quickmenu system be controlled?

Mouse
42%
Keyboard
58%

Total votes: 1462

JonHandby
xr

X-News 16 Vote: Mouse or Keyboard

Post by JonHandby » Thu, 28. Oct 04, 20:04

We want to ask YOU for your opinion on this subject of Mouse cursor or keys in the new quickmenus. These are the two fundamentally different ways that the new quickmenus could be controlled. This has been an almost religious subject of discussion at egosoft in the past. Do we want to have a mouse cursor in X games?

So we ask you, in the new quickmenu system, do you think it should be controlled via Mouse or Keyboard?

Let us know by voting!

You can read the English X-News 16 by going to this link: http://www.egosoft.com/x/xnews/200410_4 ... lNews.html

Merroc
x3tc

Post by Merroc » Thu, 28. Oct 04, 22:09

i voted keyboard cos mostly i use the joystick to move through menu's (with the 8 way hat thingy). and i dont know if i can still do that with a mouse interface. im already changing from joystick to keyboard a lot, and i dont want to have to change to mouse too...

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Thu, 28. Oct 04, 22:13

Mouse, because we can still use the keyboard if we want.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

Merroc
x3tc

Post by Merroc » Thu, 28. Oct 04, 22:14

and thus use the hat too?, if so can i change my vote?

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Thu, 28. Oct 04, 22:36

Keyboard!

The last time I tried to use a mouse I crashed into an asteroid.

amberdragon
x3tc

vote mouse - keyboard

Post by amberdragon » Thu, 28. Oct 04, 22:38

:twisted: Mouse. As long as keyboard is still available as a backup.

X-Warrior B AS
Moderator (Nederlands)
Moderator (Nederlands)
x3tc

Post by X-Warrior B AS » Thu, 28. Oct 04, 22:43

Like most people before me already said: both mouse and keyboard. Maybe that option should be in the voting list ?

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Thu, 28. Oct 04, 22:44

X-Warrior B AS wrote:Like most people before me already said: both mouse and keyboard. Maybe that option should be in the voting list ?
It is, if you read the article :P
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

X-Warrior B AS
Moderator (Nederlands)
Moderator (Nederlands)
x3tc

Post by X-Warrior B AS » Thu, 28. Oct 04, 22:48

The_Abyss wrote:
X-Warrior B AS wrote:Like most people before me already said: both mouse and keyboard. Maybe that option should be in the voting list ?
It is, if you read the article :P
I just hadn't come to that yet, patience... gonna read now.

edit: Mouse it is...
Last edited by X-Warrior B AS on Thu, 28. Oct 04, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

Dublex
x2

Post by Dublex » Thu, 28. Oct 04, 22:50

I think the mouse is the best idea, as you would still be able t use the keyboard but have the mouse option if you wanted.
X2 - Lightyears away from Manic Miner

Remium
x3

Keyboard please

Post by Remium » Thu, 28. Oct 04, 23:15

I like the keyboard because a mouse cursor, for me, takes me out of the imersion. Right now, when I press a hot key on the KB, it's like I'm pressing a button on the command console of my ship. To grab the mouse and execute a click, just seems to r/l....which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Or....why not have an option so people can play both ways. Just a simple togle switch in the options screen to either enable mouse cursor or hotkeys.

I also think having the menus appear as part of the ships console, when in cockpit / flying mode, then morph from that to the full screen menus would also assist in the imersion.
Times fun when your having flies.

Post by Guest » Thu, 28. Oct 04, 23:20

I would prefer keyboard use and programable hot keys. Plus the option to assign the shortcuts to my gamepad controller.

Mouse control as far as I am concerned should be an option only, not a replacement. Having to use the mouse as well as a gamepad/joystick will be a nuisance.

wwwolf
x3ap

Post by wwwolf » Thu, 28. Oct 04, 23:37

No to mouse. I think they should spend there time on improving something else instead.

I do beleve that we should have assignable hot keys that are programable like in Sacrifice. Or how about giving us the option for 'Scripted Hot Keys' so I can switch all of my M2 weapons with 1 key stroke, or assign a key to a particular ship so that I can give it instructions then I can go and do something else knowing that I can pull it back up with 1 key rather than having to go through the menus all over again.

Time is a valuable commodity and I just think it should be used wisely. :razz:

wwwolf
That's right. No signature.

wwwolf is sufficient.

Logaan
x4

Post by Logaan » Thu, 28. Oct 04, 23:46

I voted mouse, simply on teh basis that I think it would be easier for the QuickMenus

jdm5000
x3tc

Post by jdm5000 » Thu, 28. Oct 04, 23:53

Keyboard. I'm already used to using the joystick with my right hand and the KB with the left. I don't want to have to switch my right hand over to the mouse and back constantly...

Some Strange Man
x3

Post by Some Strange Man » Fri, 29. Oct 04, 00:09

Keyboard shortcuts should definetely still be in. They're so much faster.
I usually find that there is some major lag between a keypress and the action, so that'll need sorted out.

I can't help but think that in certain menus, that a mouse control would be superior due to the nature of the menus. For example, placing a factory.

Quetz
x3

Post by Quetz » Fri, 29. Oct 04, 00:10

jdm5000 wrote:Keyboard. I'm already used to using the joystick with my right hand and the KB with the left. I don't want to have to switch my right hand over to the mouse and back constantly...
Agreed :)

Pendraco
x4

Post by Pendraco » Fri, 29. Oct 04, 00:42

I'm fine with the way it is now......If it free's up time for adding / improving other things. :wink:

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Fri, 29. Oct 04, 00:58

I voted keys, not that I wouldn't like to see a mouse interface for some features, it's just that in a combat situation I don't want to take my right hand off the stick to faff with mouse driven menu.

If the quick menus had better keyboard shortcuts than the existing clunky menus, and a mouse curser I'd be quite happy. Wishfull thinking, I know :roll:

Vanhikes
x3tc

Post by Vanhikes » Fri, 29. Oct 04, 01:01

I voted for the mouse

It is a little off topic, but i want mouse because i want it to be used for the map. It is a pain in the but moving the cursor on the map using the keyboard and moving up and down through the list of objects on the map is evern harder. I want to be able to right click on a base or enemy and have a context menu come up. So with a base it may say fly to, dock at, open communication (if in range) ect and for an enemy it would say attack, follow, open communication (if in range). I also want to be able to select one of my frieghters then be able to click on a factory and tell it to trade or land.

This is what i truly want. I know they do not want a RTS style map, but it would make it soooooooo much easier to control everything going on. In stead of going through 15-20 keystrokes to select an object and interact with it, you would do it in 2-3 mouse clicks.

*edit*
It would also make the Universe map easer. It may take 10-15 keystrokes to select a sector on the other side of the map. With a mouse it could be done in 3, one to drag the Universe map to the correct area, one to click (maybe a double click would be needed)
That is just my 2 cents.
Last edited by Vanhikes on Fri, 29. Oct 04, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”